Brian Williams Admits to Telling False Story

NYNewser_676

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I find this interesting...

On Tuesday -- Holt's second night as sub -- NBC bested its main rival, ABC's "World News Tonight with David Muir," in all the key ratings categories, according to preliminary Nielsen numbers.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/02/11/media/nbc-brian-williams/index.html

Those numbers will be adjusted a lot until Tuesday. Though, why ABC isn't going all out promoting WNT is beyond me. This is there chance.

Though, why ABC isn't going all out promoting WNT is beyond me. This is there chance.

It may seem like it, but, to me, had ABC done this, it might be a bad idea, and people will think it's their desperate scheme to grab the ratings crown. I suggest no promo rush, leave NBC alone, and stay where they are. David's doing great so far and they might reach #1 without this.

ABC could run the standard promos more frequently, but any new campaign or unofficial welcome to NBC viewers would look really bad.

They've had the same David Muir promo with Diane's voice since September. They could just keep using that. I mean, I don't know if it's just here in New York but I (used to) see more NN promo's than WNT. In fact I rarely see WNT promos.

They've had the same David Muir promo with Diane's voice since September. They could just keep using that. I mean, I don't know if it's just here in New York but I (used to) see more NN promo's than WNT. In fact I rarely see WNT promos.

The only mentions I ever see are a 545 custom David Muir preview of tonight's WNT a 15 second ad explaining the same basic preview at 620.

I see lots of 20/20 promos and network show promos and for a few weeks a promo for tomorrow's The View immediately after WNT. Actual WNT promos are incredibly elusive.

The only mentions I ever see are a 545 custom David Muir preview of tonight's WNT a 15 second ad explaining the same basic preview at 620.

I see lots of 20/20 promos and network show promos and for a few weeks a promo for tomorrow's The View immediately after WNT. Actual WNT promos are incredibly elusive.

Exactly. I don't understand why, they've been gaining so much traction since September. May if they'd advertise as much as Nightly they'd be in an even better place right now.

Exactly. I don't understand why, they've been gaining so much traction since September. May if they'd advertise as much as Nightly they'd be in an even better place right now.

It's possible that Nightly will actually weather the storm simply by being a more visible product. They don't even seem to use any bumpers at the end of WNT anymore describing "More Americans get their news..." or some other variant anymore.

Although I'm disappointed in Brian Williams decisions, it's extremely disgusting to see how CNN and FNC have just dragged his name through the mud. Very unprofessional on the part of the morons at both of those networks.

On the other hand, NBC cannot catch a break. They did the right thing by suspending Williams but it seems like that's causing a lot of loyal viewers to be upset. This very well could turn into a huge ratings problem for the network like the Curry, Gregory thing.

Here's what TODAY did this morning: http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/heres-how-today-reported-brian-williams-suspension/255579

Sounds to me that NBC want him back in 6 months. If they're planning to let him go during the 6 months, why would Savannah say: We look forward to Brian's return. Wouldn't that create new problems?????????

That sure isn't the impression I got from watching that clip. Sure, the off-the-cuff remarks by Matt and Savannah were warm. What did you expect them to say? Surely they weren't going to say that Brian's return is questionable. But if you watch the piece reported by Peter Alexander, which surely was reviewed by brass prior to air, they very clearly point out exactly when, where, and how Brian lied on multiple occasions. They certainly could have reported it in more general terms (e.g. "Williams has come under fire for misrepresenting certain stories from Iraq and Hurricane Katrina") as they had been doing until now, but instead they literally showed the clips of when he told the truth and when he lied, and pointed it out along with interviews from others criticizing him for it. It felt like an effort to justify the suspension.

I have to say I am floored. The NBC Nightly News Facebook page is full of Brian supporters now. Now the comments are mostly "I'm not watching NBC anymore because Brian is gone," also, "#bringbackbrian." No matter what NBC did, it wasn't going to turn out good, but it looks bad on social media.

Perhaps the #BrianWilliamsMisremembers people have just stopped posting now or suddenly all of Brian's fans are in uproar.

There are 2 bad parts about a 6 month suspension.

1. If he returns in 6 months, the scandal will be brought up again.

2. By then people will be accustom to whichever anchor they are watching (be that Lester, David or Scott) and there is no guaranteeing people will switch back to Brian.

1. If he returns in 6 months, the scandal will be brought up again.

Not sure why people keep saying this. As a society, we sometimes tend to overreact at first and forget quickly. Not saying people won't remember, but by then we'll have moved onto the next big story and won't care as much.

Charlie Sheen, everyone...

Dear Mr. Williams,

Sorry to bother you during this most surreal, unjust and mercurial moment in your awesome life.

First off, THANK YOU, for 24 years of inimitable professionalism and top shelf brilliance, as a stone cold passion driven and (PERFECTLY) fact based journalist.

Secondly, Thank you “squared” for delivering not only the news on a nightly basis, (PERFECTLY) to myself and my family.

But for every other person alive, (with a TV) who relied and still do,on your poetic, insightfuland NOBLE sacrifices,that made our longest nights shorter,and our shortest nights safer.

You good sir, are a hero in my “Entire Library”

Lastly; you are clearly the victim of a transparent and vile witch hunt! Erroneously “staged” by hooligans, non coms, cowards and oligarchs, who’s only desperate and hideous goal is to discredit the genius that they relied on for almost 3 decades!

Now and forever you are a true Patriot and a Hero of mine until the day i leave this star crossed imperfect Rock we call Earth…

Mr W: respect love hi 5’s and refuge! (if you need it!) I remain humbly and on dangerous standby at your service….

I am;

the MaSheen…

I don't...I can't...what?

"Lastly; you are clearly the victim of a transparent and vile witch hunt! Erroneously “staged” by hooligans, non coms, cowards and oligarchs, who’s only desperate and hideous goal is to discredit the genius that they relied on for almost 3 decades!"

Uhh, "witch hunt"?? As sweet as that letter from "The MaSheen" was, I'm going out on a limb and saying he hasn't read the whole story.

Charlie Sheen, everyone...

I don't...I can't...what?

First of all, where did you find that?? Second, I don't think Brian/NBC needs that kind of input right now. On the other hand I do have the thought in the back of my head hoping that Brian/NBC wasn't Set up/ Hacked/whatever you would call it. Now, I have never been in war, nor has my family but I do know that war can miss with your head/memory. Of course that wouldn't explain the Katrina reports.

Archived