Brian Williams Admits to Telling False Story

NYNewser_676

All this talk of who succeeds who, and who is most deserving for a role just reminds me of this...

http://www.huffingto..._n_1561980.html

Oh wow. I never saw that, thank you for posting that. I don't know if I'm glad I saw it or not... That felt like a Today Show interview and the "morning" thing was just icing on the cake.

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think what the best course of action is for him to remove himself as the Managing Editor. He can still be anchor, but give the Editorship to someone else within the news organization.

Isn't the managing editor more of a title than a job?

I still stand by Brian and hopes he stays on the job. If it's not Lester my next choice would be Jose Diaz-Balart. Jose is an excellent anchor and seems to have that right personality that Brian has. I realize that he isn't known to most English language viewers aside from a few times on Today and political segments in primetime. However I think they could bring a lot of viewers who would normally watching Noticiero Univision or Noticiero Telemundo. Since 2012 Telemundo has rebranded promoting the duality of their audience and one way they I think one way they could convey this message even more would have him anchor Nightly while continuing to host Enfoque. The only thing I think would stop thus from ever happening would be his show on MSNBC. I don't think MSBC would be willing to give up the host of two hours of straight news (they have more important holes to fill in their schedule in the PM.)

I am kinda surprised with the speculation that no one has brought up a certain former network news anchor who was passed over for the lead role at the "CBS Evening News" in favor of Scott Pelley... and who is now the lead anchor/managing editor at WKYC, the Cleveland NBC affiliate.

Not that I'm stating that Russ Mitchell is a definitive answer, but it would be insane not to consider him as an option. It's not like NBC would be plucking the weekend weatherman from Podunk, Iowa... Russ had a good, long run at CBS, and probably wouldn't mind the chance to compete against his former network.

As for Lester Holt, the one drawback with appointing him to take over "Nightly News" is that it throws one of the few stable parts of "Today" into uncertainty... "Weekend Today." By that alone, Lester may not be a slam-dunk move, but it is a safe move.

If Brian is canned and Lester takes over the weeknight version of Nightly News who could possibly take over Lester's spot on both Weekend Today and the weekend editions of Nightly News?

Craig Melvin on Weekend Today. Peter Alexander on Weekend Nightly News.

Here's a more serious thought. What if NBC takes away Brian's title as Chief Anchor and gives it to Lester? Then Brian stays but looses something. Lester, like George, would be in charge of special reports and events.

They could also consider Erica Hill to pull the weekend double-duty like Lester. Either way, I'm confident Lester would keep Dateline.

Just like David Muir still does 20/20.

Holy crap, I totally forgot about this! http://www.thedailybeast.com/videos/2012/04/28/30-rock-takes-on-david-brinkley.html

I know a lot of this is kind of incriminating now, making him an easier target, but it's why I'm only disappointed in Williams and not mad at him. I can't be mad at someone who was able to pull off stuff like this.

Katie Couric said on Twitter any mention of her name is untrue.. Wished NBC and the staff the best during this time.

Not sure why she found the need to tweet about it at all. It's not like Katie's name was being thrown around seriously or much at all. If anything, this makes her name more prominent.

David closed by saying "I'm David Muir..." He doesn't usually say his name in the close and it was also a longer close than normal. Probably ABC trying to introduce new viewers to him.

Also, Nightly News ended earlier than normal today. Usually I can watch the end of WNT and then switch to NBC to catch the end of the last story and the close. I switched as soon as WNT ended and they were already off.

At 5:43, Lester told the audience that "Brian will be off until this issue is resolved." So how long will that be?

That quote doesn't make it sound good for Brian.

At 5:43, Lester told the audience that "Brian will be off until this issue is resolved." So how long will that be?

Lester's exact words were 'He'll [brian] be off while this issue is dealt with' which could mean this likely won't be resolved by weeks end. Lester closed by thanking viewers and made it clear he was '[sitting] in for Brian' and like last night, offered no clue as to who will be subbing for the rest of the week. But it will likely be him nevertheless.

May I just say that I have always enjoyed Lester Holt's anchoring. He's very cool and calm and presents the news without flash like Brian seems to do from time to time. Lester is the man!

I completely agree. I have always felt a more down-to-earth tone with Lester behind the desk. I hate that Brian would have to lose his job for Lester to be full-time Nightly anchor, but if that's what has to happen then so be it. I want Lester

If anybody but Lester fills in, I'm going to assume it is NBC trying out other anchors. Because when Brian was off for his surgery, it was just Lester. They didn't have other people fill in. So if others fill in now, it has to be NBC testing the waters.

Don't forget that Lester just worked the weekend. He can't work every day, Sun-Sat until Brian's either back or gone can he? Thought it was interesting that Lester made it a point to say he's sitting in for Brian. That tells me that NBC is not ready to let him go. You'd think NBC wouldn't even mention Brian right now.

Don't forget that Lester just worked the weekend. He can't work every day, Sun-Sat until Brian's either back or gone can he? Thought it was interesting that Lester made it a point to say he's sitting in for Brian. That tells me that NBC is not ready to let him go. You'd think NBC wouldn't even mention Brian right now.

I was thinking the same thing about Lester.. But if he only works till Friday this week and then starts Monday-Friday it'll work.. I think NBC would make a point that Brian hasn't been let go to avoid possible backlash. Someone on Twitter mentioned doing a generic open which would probably be bad too.. There's people that like Brian still.. They don't wanna loose them too. Until he's gone (if he ever leaves) I think they'll make it a point that he still works there

I mean, I wouldn't be surprised, in fact I expect that if Brian is out for more than this week, Lester won't be doing the weekends rather doing Mon-Fri. Someone could easily fill in for Lester on the weekends.

Lester also said something to the extent of "Glad to have you here" which for some reason made me think they lost even more viewers than what was reported.

I'm not sure if the lost in viewers was higher than reported, but I agree there was a more appreciative tone than normal throughout the newscast. We have to wait and see where things stand viewership-wise in the days ahead.

Lester also said something to the extent of "Glad to have you here" which for some reason made me think they lost even more viewers than what was reported.

Noticed that and thought the exact same thing!

I kno this is dumb, but if Williams leaves or is canned, could a new set and or gfx in the works?

Archived