February 2015 Sweeps Results

NYNewsCoverage

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Or New York.

There was New York stuff referring to WPIX earlier in the thread... You've got to understand that not every market will have an article or press release. Additionally nothing in this thread is inside info... It's all press releases or articles from other sources. If you don't see the market you are looking for there's not much that can be done about it.

Correct. Trying to know what the most dominant station in its market is in competitive markets.

I think the (2) most competitive markets would be Pittsburgh & Louisville.

In Pittsburgh WTAE wins mornings while KDKA wins all the evenings news. WTAE and WPXI both fight or tie for #2.

In Louisville WLKY has started from the bottom to the top while WHAS is 2nd place followed by WAVE.

I think the (2) most competitive markets would be Pittsburgh & Louisville.

In Pittsburgh WTAE wins mornings while KDKA wins all the evenings news. WTAE and WPXI both fight or tie for #2.

In Louisville WLKY has started from the bottom to the top while WHAS is 2nd place followed by WAVE.

There are probably many markets that are competitive if you go by share points... Detroit is another one.

@BreakingNews- Not always. February was rough for WTAE

Here are there ratings from what I can remember

Mornings- #3

Noon- #2

5pm- Tied with WPXI

6pm- #2

11pm- I believe #2

They dropped A LOT! I surprised about the morning. In November and for a few years they were #1 in the morning. And now they are down to third.

WLNE sure needs divine intervention, that is for sure. What makes it so weak, poor ownership?

Tons of legacy issues from the analog era ranging from starting well after WJAR/WPRI to having a weak signal (short spaced to WCSH and WRGB) to having poor ownership for most of its existence save the brief time Pulitizer owned it in the late 70s/early 80s. When Freedom owned WLNE, they treated it like crap in contrast to WRGB who was treated like a golden child in contrast even when they were in third place (barely). Global was on the right track but Global was always dodgy and Citadel was a total head scratcher.

That said, I see Citadel holding on to it much longer...can a new owner rescue that station?

Hearst should have just paid the money Freedom wanted for it in 2007 rather than balking. Or Nexstar should have gone for it in 2011 when they still operared WLWC and would have run the two together. Both would have been better than Citadel.

Either of those aside, regionally a Meredith or Gannett would do the most help. Dunno if Tribune has the space or Hubbard the will.

This is for March but I can't imagine it's worth it's own thread:

Scripps KGTV ABC10 in San Diego moved from #2 last March to #1 this March in one of the key demos (I assume 25-54). They also report being up 88% in the demo at 5am and 192% at 6am. Their 6pm also was the only one to grow year to year.

http://escrippsnews.scrippsnet.com/node/3246

This is for March but I can't imagine it's worth it's own thread:

Scripps KGTV ABC10 in San Diego moved from #2 last March to #1 this March in one of the key demos (I assume 25-54). They also report being up 88% in the demo at 5am and 192% at 6am. Their 6pm also was the only one to grow year to year.

http://escrippsnews.scrippsnet.com/node/3246

HH still went to KFMB for all newscasts based on their on-air promos. Plus, the AM increase is a bit misleading since they haven't been doing very well lately (usually 3rd or 4th place), plus their long time AM anchor Bill Griffith retired at the end of February. No doubt that more people than usual tuned in February just to see his last newscasts.

HH still went to KFMB for all newscasts based on their on-air promos. Plus, the AM increase is a bit misleading since they haven't been doing very well lately (usually 3rd or 4th place), plus their long time AM anchor Bill Griffith retired at the end of February. No doubt that more people than usual tuned in February just to see his last newscasts.

Remember those were MARCH numbers... So the book after he left if he retired in February... I agree its probably much rosier than reality... I've found when you only tout your numbers and not yours vs. Everybody else there isn't much to brag about.

Unfortunately there isn't a table but here is an article in today's Indianapolis Star that shows the results from Feburary sweeps as well as a progress report on how WTTV and WISH are doing after the big switch.

http://www.indystar.com/story/entertainment/arts/2015/03/26/wish-wttv-wthr-indianapolis-february-sweeps-tribune-nielsen/70495262/

• According to Nielsen Co. figures released last week, NBC affiliate WTHR attracted the most viewers ages 25 to 54 for newscasts that air at 6 a.m., 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. During the February ratings period, Jan. 29 to Feb. 25, WTHR posted a 4.44 rating at 6 a.m., a 5.54 rating at 6 p.m. and a 3.39 rating at 11 p.m. Each rating point represents about 11,000 homes.
  • Fox affiliate WXIN-59 placed second for viewers ages 25 to 54 at all three times: 3.23 rating at 6 a.m., 1.95 at 6 p.m. and 1.51 at 11 p.m.
  • WISH fared best at 6 a.m. (1.65 rating, good for third place), and it placed fourth at 6 p.m. (0.63) and fifth among five local newcasts at 11 p.m. (0.68). In February 2014, WISH was third at 6 a.m. (1.83), second at 6 p.m. (2.26) and fourth at 11 p.m. (1.61).
  • WTTV, which brands itself as CBS4, fared best at 11 p.m. (1.12 rating, good for fourth place), and it placed fifth at 6 a.m. (0.12) and 6 p.m. (0.52).
  • In prime time among viewers ages 25 to 54, ABC affiliate WRTV-6 won February with a 3.46 rating. WRTV newscasts placed fourth at 6 a.m. (0.82) and third at 6 p.m. (0.86) and 11 p.m. (1.21)
  • Elsewhere in prime time, Indianapolis stations following WRTV were WTHR (3.33), WTTV (3.23), WXIN (3.23) and WISH (1.14).

Wow. CBS 4 isn't doing good. They are my favorite station in Indy.

Well it hasn't even been a year since the switch. I didn't expect them to suddenly be rating highly and surging to #1 in the market. Heck, it could be like this for years yet.

Wow. CBS 4 isn't doing good. They are my favorite station in Indy.

Old loyalties die hard, even in a market like Indy where you have four well-established news departments to compete with for viewership (including sister station WXIN).

Then again, I didn't think WISH-TV would be doing this poorly post losing their CBS affiliation.

February sweeps may be over, but here's some more good news from WAGA:

11091387_10152746009035823_928488177182785146_n.jpg?oh=cc0e85e10f69bf9392961a76d5e3379e&oe=55760735

All they need now is wins in the mornings, 6:00, and weekends and WSB's reign of ratings terror will once again be over (at least they'll still own noon)!!!!

Old loyalties die hard, even in a market like Indy where you have four well-established news departments to compete with for viewership (including sister station WXIN).

Then again, I didn't think WISH-TV would be doing this poorly post losing their CBS affiliation.

Yeah, I figured that WTTV would start near the bottom since they're a newcomer to the market, but WISH-TV's ratings dropped much faster than I thought they would.

February sweeps may be over, but here's some more good news from WAGA:

11091387_10152746009035823_928488177182785146_n.jpg?oh=cc0e85e10f69bf9392961a76d5e3379e&oe=55760735

All they need now is wins in the mornings, 6:00, and weekends and WSB's reign of ratings terror will once again be over (at least they'll still own noon)!!!!

What cringes me about the pic is that they win in A25-54. I'm more interested in Total Households, because that really determines the overall winner in those timeslots. But wow... FOX 5 is #1 at 5:00, 5:30 and 10:00 and #2 at 11:00 p.m.

I'm not surprised about WAGA's recent dominance because they've been a strong second for a long time now.

Archived