New WSVN Newsplex

rkolsen

Why? I mean, the newsplex looks great and all, but I can't help but ask...why? Everytime I see a WSVN/WHDH newscast, the only word I can drum up is, "Why?"

Even KTTV looks like a homely, laid back station compared to the SUNBEAM STATIONS. (Yes, all caps because WSVN and WHDH are JUST TWO STATIONS.)

A agree with just about everything that's been said, but the thing that dumbfounds me most...

What the hell kind of name is Belkys?

It's a Cuban name I think. xD

To borrow a phrase... only "just one station" would emphasize a new set over everything else in the marketing of their news product.

If the set is the only instrument you can use to promote your newscast (as opposed to, say, enterprise reporting, weather, or almost anything else that matters),

, to me, that indicates that you're not confident in the quality of your news operation. I can't recall any other station in the country that hyped up a set as much as WSVN, even in the HD days when everybody was getting new sets.

Don't believe it? I guess I don't.

To borrow a phrase... only "just one station" would emphasize a new set over everything else in the marketing of their news product.

If the set is the only instrument you can use to promote your newscast (as opposed to, say, enterprise reporting, weather, or almost anything else that matters),

, to me, that indicates that you're not confident in the quality of your news operation. I can't recall any other station in the country that hyped up a set as much as WSVN, even in the HD days when everybody was getting new sets.

You frequently hear that a new set will revolutionize the way a station will present the news. Usually they mention that they have a bigger weather center, a touch screen and a large monitor wall but often times they just stay with the tried and true presentation techniques. Here they don't even bother pulling the wool over your eyes. The few WSVN promotions that I've seen just seem to be along the lines of bigger is better.

Unrelated to the New Newsplex, but I wanted to bring this up...

There has been shots fired outside Lil Wayne's House, according to reports. Special Report coverage mode has been on since a little bit after 1:00 p.m. today in South Florida.

WSVN 7 was first and has been on the air since a little bit after 1:00 p.m.

WPLG 10 was on before 1:30 p.m., went to regular programming and has since came back on the air for more coverage.

WTVJ 6 started at 1:30 p.m. and they were on for an hour. They have since returned to The Meredith Vieira Show.

WFOR 4 hasn't produced a local special report at all, instead showing regular programming.

This tells you a few things... WSVN 7 has been #1 for this reason; WPLG 10 is trying to win viewers over, although they left for a while; WTVJ 6 is more over decent, but is better than WFOR 4 because it produced a special report for an hour. WFOR 4 just doesn't give a damn about covering news anymore.

2 things to point out as well... WSVN 7 is one of FOX's strongest affiliates and WFOR 4 is one of CBS' weakest stations, in terms of local news of course.

They also mentioned how they are a "leader in innovation" and are "doing it again." The only thing that's really different about that set is the back monitor wall and the upper video wall. How exactly is that innovative, paving the way for new technology, and showing that their the best station in Miami?

They also mentioned how they are a "leader in innovation" and are "doing it again." The only thing that's really different about that set is the back monitor wall and the upper video wall. How exactly is that innovative, paving the way for new technology, and showing that their the best station in Miami?

Don't forget about the "satellite center" stand-up area featuring nifty, state-of-the-art old monitors and tape decks. How innovative!

Don't forget about the "satellite center" stand-up area featuring nifty, state-of-the-art old monitors and tape decks. How innovative!

One thing I did find interesting was that their satellite center did appear to have some working equipment that they may use during day to day operations. The main thing I noticed was the touch screen panel for The Switch, which can be used to send uncompressed HD video to any station that is connected to the network with out satellites (unless your sending it to a teleport.) The area also appears to be where they receive DirecTV feeds for their in house TVs thereby making it a satellite center. There also appears to what I believe to be equipment used to tune the ENG sites.

I cannot imagine why a station would need 5+ Betacam SP/SX decks in one location in this day and age. That right there is enough to tell me that most of that equipment in the Satellite Center is there for show. My guess is those DirecTV boxes and the boxes they're sitting on are the only useful pieces of equipment there. I would bet the computer screens are just clones of other screens in a different room.

Some thoughts after watching that video:

1) I think I could actually feel some brain cells dying.

2) The Newsplex may as well be a nightclub. It even looks like it has black lights!

3) Now I have a mental image of people going to a nightclub to get caught up on the news while they dance. Get on this, Hollywood.

4) WHDH is already pretty flashy and tabloid, but this would NEVER work in Boston.

5) I'm not getting those brain cells back, am I?

WSVN to me feels over-the-top and overly brash. I think that the heavy Latino population in South Florida works to its advantage because Hispanics kind of like the flash and form that 7 News provides. As much as WSVN gets my derision, it actually exemplifies the Fox attitude despite trying to distance itself from Fox. So while South Florida can have their grandiose news, I'll just avoid it like the plague.

• 4 weeks later...

Those 3/4" U-Matic tape players are better off being in a museum than on a set like WSVN's. Good grief.

(Note: I took telecommunications courses at an area community college about ten years ago and had to operate U-Matic decks as a student worker. I wish I made that last sentence up.)

I will say this, South Florida is literally the weirdest media market in the country.

It does have to do with a lot of the hispanic population, but think about it in this way. If you really want to look at a Nielsen book they are third in total stations. Let that somewhat sink in.

But where they do succeed is the amount of news that they do "produce" (and I say that loosely, because most of the news gets recycled very quickly). But in Miami, where its a flashy type of town where there isn't a lot of substance, it works. If you pull off the over the top sensationalism that they do in any other market, they would be languishing at last place more than likely.

Many a station has tried to mimic their format and failed miserably.

KPRC is just one of them, and it's literally taken them the better part of the last two decades to climb out of that hole.

Archived