New WSVN Newsplex

rkolsen

Today on TVNewsCheck they previewed the new set at WSVN. They only showed off the back monitor wall but let's face it no one watches WSVN for their news desk. Apparently the entire thing was done in house (and it looks like it was too.) I don't really see that much difference between this set and the old set other than a new lower monitor wall and a curved LED screen.

The set is supposed to launch on Sunday.

I found this Panorama-type thing of the WSVN newsplex a while back, and it's actually somewhat of an optical illusion: the newsdesk is behind a wall with a large tilted window, which provides a look inside. Compared with WHDH's Newspplex, which according to Google Maps, actually does have the desk in there, just behind a small divider.

Will we see the Newsplex upgrade happening to WHDH soon?

The LED banner IS the newsplex upgrade for WHDH. lel

On the contrary, it looks like WSVN would be using the fonts Gotham from Fox and Antenna from Fox Sports. Oh boy.

I found this Panorama-type thing of the WSVN newsplex a while back, and it's actually somewhat of an optical illusion: the newsdesk is behind a wall with a large tilted window, which provides a look inside. Compared with WHDH's Newspplex, which according to Google Maps, actually does have the desk in there, just behind a small divider.

That looks like a miserable place to work in.

That looks like a miserable place to work in.

Extremely miserable. I think that's the reason why there aren't a lot of desks, it's like being in a fish bowl. Several people refer to the BBC newsroom as a fishbowl but that place is bright and vibrant. This is just depressing. Personally I would think all the red would bother me.

wow well today I learned that the desk actually isn't inside of the newsplex, it's on the other side of a glass wall. Never would have guessed that. I also didn't realize how small it appears to be in there? Looks really cramped and claustrophoic.

Question, is the newsplex also the newsroom, or is it just a uniquely designed set? I couldn't possibly imagine working in there as an actual newsroom.

wow well today I learned that the desk actually isn't inside of the newsplex, it's on the other side of a glass wall. Never would have guessed that. I also didn't realize how small it appears to be in there? Looks really cramped and claustrophoic.

Question, is the newsplex also the newsroom, or is it just a uniquely designed set? I couldn't possibly imagine working in there as an actual newsroom.

The photos of the update from the sun-sentinel show producers at the work stations, so it appears to be a working newsroom.

My guess is it's only newscast producers, writers and assignment editors that work in there. The cubicles for the reporters and anchors are somewhere else (maybe in an area behind the Newsplex background).

This did not live up to the hype. (Though WSVN seemed to be the only one that was excited about it.) I used to be a huge fan of their presentation (about seven or ten years ago) but I think the "new look" actually looks incredibly dated. The colors, the lasers, the sound effects... I'm not impressed. They took a huge step in the wrong direction here.

New monitor walls in the newsplex, new LED strip, new circle 7s around the satellite center, newsdesk and in a platform where reporters and anchors can now stand in front of the newsplex monitors.

Plus, the glass wall that was behind the anchors is now gone and opens are now updated, as well as graphics and L3's. The music is a remix of the 2011 music package, even though I wish they kept the 2009 music package for all the years. Like the 2009 package, better than the 2011 package. It's amazing how WSVN can connect whatever story they show on top to the LED strip.

And their monitor wall is HUGE... unlike other stations like WTVJ for example in which for their weather center, their huge monitor wall is divided by several monitors. WPLG's video wall in their set is also big, but also divided by two huge ones. WSVN is just one HUGE big montior on top and WFOR... Nobody watch WFOR anyways so that don't matter.

^^I agree with you on the graphics. They look incredibly dated and seemingly ugly. I don't think the last package had this much use of gradients and shade. And I really hate the time bug; the time and temp are spaced out a bit from each other and the design is horrible.

I know the Sunbeam stations are known for graphics that look like they were made by a guy on speed, but this is unimpressive.

My God, WSVN is so damn tabloid. I don't see how anyone can watch them. Aren't they like #2 in Miami?

Secondly, about the graphics, I think that they look like some generic graphics package that a university would use. Also, I've mentioned this before too, every WSVN graphics package is just a refresh of the one before it. The opens, title cards, transitions, they've all looked similar for the past decade or so. That's probably why they look so dated, because it's the same premise, just with a few modifications.

Finally, when they were doing sports in front of the monitor wall, that was incredibly distracting. I was too busy looking at what was on the monitors behind him than paying attention to what he was saying himself.

My God, WSVN is so damn tabloid. I don't see how anyone can watch them. Aren't they like #2 in Miami?

Secondly, about the graphics, I think that they look like some generic graphics package that a university would use. Also, I've mentioned this before too, every WSVN graphics package is just a refresh of the one before it. The opens, title cards, transitions, they've all looked similar for the past decade or so. That's probably why they look so dated, because it's the same premise, just with a few modifications.

Finally, when they were doing sports in front of the monitor wall, that was incredibly distracting. I was too busy looking at what was on the monitors behind him than paying attention to what he was saying himself.

WSVN is so damn tabloid, but so damn works in Miami. And no... WSVN is #1 in Miami. It's been #1 for years now.

The music is a refresh of the one before it too.

Notice how WSVN has access to the West Palm Beach stations on its Newsplex monitor wall, something that we don't have access to in Miami unless if you have a big outdoor transmitter you can use for over-the-air TV purposes.

Underwhelming? I agree. For some reason, with how the new Newsplex looks, I expected a network quality version of their graphics. Then I remembered... it's 7. What i didn't expect was for them to be so damn blocky.

As far as the music... also expected a completely different sounding theme, not really the 2011 theme with added instrumentals. I guess 2011 is the new

At least they're boasting "The News Station" again in those graphics.

It's a very well needed refresh to the newsplex, and it looks good.. But honestly, the concept is showing it's age. It's working less and less a decade into the 21st Century.. It was a 90's thing. WSVN needs to find a new thing to do. Especially when that building is the oldest broadcast facility in South Florida, it literally has been there since it first went on the air in the mid-50's.. Personally, If I were Ansin I would've saved the money and invested it in a new building with a new set that looks less like a nightclub. As for the graphics, I'm very disappointed.. It looks like a dumbed-down version of the previous package, except for the LCD strip graphics, which are sharp, and I love how they match each story. The lower thirds are clunky and feel more like a predecessor to the old package than an update. The music is the only thing that really wins me over. Yeah, It's not a new melody, but Crane seems to have stuck with a certain signature.. 'SVN never needed a signature anyway, the pulsing graphics and red 7 do more than enough.. But I digress, lol the added elements to theme really pump you up, and I don't think I want the latest car accident/murder/drug bust to be matched up with it. It doesn't work. They want rave goers to watch the news. The Joel Cheatwood/Bob Leider days are over, it was good in it's prime, it doesn't work anymore.

That's my two cents..

I feel like the graphics are the type that a station would go with when they first go HD just to show off the capabilities of their equipment. Now it seems the overall style is simplicity or at the very minimum less flash.

Archived