PBS News Hour New Set & Music

rkolsen

On Monday PBS NewsHour launches a new set and sonic branding.

Here's a sneak peak at the minimalist set:

https://twitter.com/NewsHour/status/622180362391810049?s=17

I'm going to hold my judgement until we see the set on camera.

It's also worth noting that over the last few weeks Washington Week with Gwen Ifill has broadcast from NBC's West Capital Hill studios. I assume they demolished the Washington Week set for NewsHour and once NewHour is demolished Washington Week will move back in.

I'm going to hold my judgement until we see the set on camera.

Me too, but for now, I'll say say a little bit: I like it. Looks a lot like Sunday Morning, especially with the flat one-color background and the panels showcasing the PBS logo. Really nice improvement here.

According to Newscast Studio the new theme is composed by Edd Kalehoff. That's interesting because he hasn't done a lot of new themes as of late.

Also according to Newscast Studio, the set is designed by George Allison. He was the in-house set designer at ABC News for many years, mostly during the Peter Jennings era.

I'll see how it looks on air tomorrow, but that set almost looks too minimalist in the photo. If the plexiglas panels were separating the desk from a background with some kind of action or depth (even just a bank of monitors that looks like part of the control room), it would be great, but the plain white wall makes it look like something that's meant as a temporary set.

First impression on the graphics: They remind me a bit of ABC News (Australia)'s look - mainly the open - and that WPBA mock I did a few weeks back. Not bad. The L3s have a bit too much whitespace for my liking.

First impression on the set: Not too bad, if a bit plain. Of course, it's PBS, so I don't think the point of the Newshour is necessarily style over substance, but substance over style.

First impression on the music: The best part. I could have sworn I heard some of

in there; makes sense considering the new music is a Kalehoff work.

First impression on the graphics: They remind me a bit of ABC News (Australia)'s look - mainly the open - and that WPBA mock I did a few weeks back. Not bad. The L3s have a bit too much whitespace for my liking.

First impression on the set: Not too bad, if a bit plain. Of course, it's PBS, so I don't think the point of the Newshour is necessarily style over substance, but substance over style.

First impression on the music: The best part. I could have sworn I heard some of

in there; makes sense considering the new music is a Kalehoff work.

Couldn't agree more. The music is nice, but yes I did hear the NBR score from 2002-10 as a teaser. Probably first-day jitters.

I really liked how it looked. Very minimalistic and clean.

Also did anyone notice at the very end they showed a shot of the entire studio from what seemed like a wall mounted camera that showed another desk directly behind the cameras? Wonder if that could be used for Washington Week.

As a side note I wonder why WETA does not air the broadcast live? At 6PM on their SD channel they air BBC World News / Nightly Business Report and HD they air Tavis Smiley / Nightly Business Report.

Here's a nice piece from PBS on the new Newshour look.

Also, considering PBS is a public broadcaster, let's see how the non-news junkie "public" has been reacting on FB and the comments...it seems that the consensus is "this theme is generic, bland, unauthoritative, and uninspiring", with some sprinkles of "it'll grow on me".

I wonder if they said the same thing

Here's a nice piece from PBS on the new Newshour look.

Also, considering PBS is a public broadcaster, let's see how the non-news junkie "public" has been reacting on FB and the comments...it seems that the consensus is "this theme is generic, bland, unauthoritative, and uninspiring", with some sprinkles of "it'll grow on me".

I wonder if they said the same thing

Better pay attention, we don't want another MCTYW-style backlash, back in 1997. (As read from the comments)

The theme is such a weird fusion of the News Hour sig and, so blatantly, the old NBR theme Kalehoff did.

It's such a shame, too, because the rest of the refresh is so clean and modern.

I think that L3 box should be the same height for everything - it's the height of the News Hour logo for white name straps, but not quite as big for the grey "Via Facebook/YouTube" straps. Looks slightly off.

But that's just nitpicking - overall it's a nice look.

The signature in the Kalehoff theme is essentially an alteration of an alteration. The first six notes keep the arrangement of the Hoffer theme's sig featured in the 2009 David Sebert theme, but the last three notes are staggered in a manner closer to the original Bernard Hoffer theme.

The headline and byline text on the L3s, which kind of harken elements of the pre-standardization WBZ graphics package, should be enlarged a couple of points to lessen the whitespace (when watching the replay on OETA OKLA last night, the text size is a little hard to read on SD screens in letterbox) and shifted a skosh farther to the left. But overall, it's OK.

Oh great, more DIN.

Seriously designers, there are a million typefaces out there other than DIN that are also deserving of some love, too.

Well, they could always use Arial. :D

Also according to Newscast Studio, the set is designed by George Allison. He was the in-house set designer at ABC News for many years, mostly during the Peter Jennings era.

That said, was he the one who made such sets as that of the Washington bureau starting in late 1981 and that of 20/20, among others?

I'm watching their broadcast again and really like how they handle remote interviews where the anchor turns and it looks like the monitor is right up next to the desk.

PBS NewsHour Weekend has retained the David Sebert theme introduced on the weekday broadcasts in 2009. Making the differences between the WNET-produced weekend broadcasts and the WETA-produced weekday editions even more apparent, the Saturday and Sunday broadcasts are also still using the graphics package loosely based on the 2009 graphics for the Monday-Friday flagship editions of the program.

Archived