Peter Jennings: Ten Years Later

24994J

[yt]MfLYPJohoh0[/yt]

Today marks the tenth anniversary of ABC News icon, and perhaps the best to ever set helm a network newscast, Peter Jennings. As most of us recall, Jennings died after a brief battle with lung cancer, dealing a tragic blow to modern journalism. Many people, on and off this site, have voiced their opinions as to where ABC's product has gone since his death, particularly in the last five years, but I have to commend the network for not forgetting Jennings' legacy, even if they don't practice to his standards.

The video above is a brief, more personal tribute, but a dedicated page on abcnews.com includes a longer look back at his career. I'd imagine there will also be a mention or even a full segment on World News Tonight this evening.

Here is the two hour memorial special the network aired in 2005, a long broadcast, but definitely worth a view...

[yt]0hoo_SoyQoI[/yt]

Best anchor I've ever had the privilege to watch! There hasn't been anyone like him leading a network broadcast since his passing. He inspired me from his approach to current events and editorial experience to his larger-than-life anchoring presence. He is what inspires me to understand this world better. Thank you Peter.

He was a legend that reported the news with a serious tone but also put it into a human perspective. Peter Jennings to me was the last of his kind. Watching that Peter Jennings Memorial, I saw how he would talk about the trees, the cemetary, and such but then I realized that he put everything into context so well. RIP Peter Jennings, anchor of Heaven News Tonight.

I may be young here, but I've spent a lot of my childhood watching World News Tonight and watch this man anchor it.

Even while my siblings (and many kids like them) watched cartoons and the like at that time, it was appointment for me to watch this program every day after Action News (even during weekends and after his passing). He was one of the reasons I began my dream of becoming a broadcast journalist.

And I was heartbroken when I heard about his battle with and eventual death from lung cancer. I've never felt so glum to hear of the passing of an adult not a part of my family before, but he was an exception. He was just a consummate professional and one of the very best, and I looked up to him to deliver the news every day.

Peter Jennings is definitely and truly one of the best television journalists in the history of American television news (which is very ironic as he was a born-and-bred Canadian), and there will no one like him. He is still terribly missed and I thank ABC for recognizing him and his legendary career, and for not forgetting who almost single-handedly brought it relevance, praise and credibility.

Thank you, Peter.

Guest Former Member 207

I'm 35 years old, and for the better part of 2/3s of my life, there was always a constant when it comes to TV news: Brokaw on NBC, Jennings on ABC, and Rather on CBS. That means you had a generation of news viewers that watched one of or all three...I'm pretty certain that you never had this type of consistent longetivity in television news, local or national. Three guys that spent 20-plus years each at the anchor desk, and all at the same time; I mean, you had Walter Crontike at the CBS anchor desk for 19 years, and the Chet Huntley-David Brinkley duo did the NBC evening newscast together for about 14 years, but Cronkite and Huntley-Brinkley only went head-to-head for eight years.

I saw the tail end of World News Tonight when the Jenning tribute aired, and it didn't hit immediately that it's been ten years since his passing. That's just how much you realize that time flies by faster than you think.

I surely do miss his version of World News Tonight. On that particular memorial special, I found it unfortunate and funny that Cynthia McFadden said that Peter did not like the O.J. Simpson trial and hardly carried it on his newscast because it was a tabloid story. Now, whether it is morning (GMA, The View, This Week) or evening (WNT, 20/20, Nightline), ABC News covers tabloid like no other. I do sometimes wonder what had happened had he lived, what would ABC News look like now from that time line, would Jennings been ousted or would he be forced to anchor a newscast that has so much fluff and pop and deals with the latest crime stories. Time flies, can't believe it's been a decade.

Archived