WLS To Get New Set

24994J

The new WLS set is the Pope coverage of threads.

But really, it's not a bad look. A simple desk, a few presentation areas, and a video wall. Lots of stations would kill for something that nice and fresh.

You make an excellent point. From a presentation pov, no one (in this market) can match what WLS can do now. While I would like them to do something different than using a day/night skyline as a backdrop, they haven't had the chance to put that baby to full use, so we should be somewhat patient.

Plus, because the weather center is not branded as such (aside from the cloud panels in the background), there are opportunities to do stand-ups and the like there too. Just imagine the network/cable news level type of stuff they will roll out on election night(s).

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Plus, because the weather center is not branded as such (aside from the cloud panels in the background), there are opportunities to do stand-ups and the like there too. Just imagine the network/cable news level type of stuff they will roll out on election night(s).

Of course, we'll find out in 12 hours, but with only the weather center by the main desk, the 4 to 5 transition should be interesting.

I agree the switched sides is a little bit different but it's all in the logistics of how they laid the set out. In terms of using the space this is 100 times better...

Agree 100%....

I didn't realize that little 3x3 video wall they use for stand-ups and tosses to live shots was behind the weather center. That's pretty cool. BTW, the green screen is no longer a pull-down shade, it's next to the weather center.

http://www.newscaststudio.com/2015/10/26/rectangles-colors-help-form-cohesive-new-look-for-abc-chicago/

Magers wins the new set comment contest (I think I'll make a montage). He made note of the seat switch, and touched Jerry's hand, and said how thrilled he was to have Taft by his side. The two of them are already looking forward to Thanksgiving, but Ron's still disappointed that management, once more, did not install a popcorn machine on another new set.

Does anyone know if, to get from the desk to the 3x3, is there room to pass BEHIND the blue column, avoiding having to thread the needle right through the weather center? It almost looks like there could be a sizable gap back there.

Does anyone know if, to get from the desk to the 3x3, is there room to pass BEHIND the blue column, avoiding having to thread the needle right through the weather center? It almost looks like there could be a sizable gap back there.

There is some space to walk from the alcove to the anchor desk without walking around the weather desk. The alcove is really next to the weather desk (technically, I wouldn't call it the weather center). The set up is something like this...Sorry, I didn't have time to take pics.

[ interview area ] hallway [ weather desk ] [ anchor desk ] [ traffic/touch screen area ]

There is hardly any room for the cameras to move around, so that's why some shots have been off, if you will. This is something that will get better over time.

I'm kinda in love with how much experimenting their doing with the set. Last night, Cheryl Burton did a stand-up in the interview area, they've displayed full-sized video on the wall (only pertaining to the story), but my favorite use came this afternoon in the 3-touchscreen nook. The best news of all is that no one has broken anything yet, despite the pessimistic commentary of Brown, Krashesky and Magers.

output_e027dg.gif

A little late to the party here but having viewed a full newscast on the new set (finally) I have a couple minor gripes... One is starting the main weathercast with a wide shot looking at Jerry with the anchor desk in full view... He looks like he's a mile away and it doesn't look right. That said the area around the weather desk is very nice...

It looks odd having the live shot pop up behind the anchor during the toss and then they don't turn to look at it...

It's funny you (ns8401) mentioned the anchors not turning around to look at the live shot. I was thinking the same thing. Alan and Kathy didn't look at all on Monday during the 4. At 5, Ron kinda looked and Cheryl just looked dead at him (that was hilarious!!). Since they never had to look behind them before, it's going to take them time to add this to their routine .

It looks odd having the live shot pop up behind the anchor during the toss and then they don't turn to look at it...

They do and they don't. I'd imagine that they don't always know when the reporter's going to pop up, as they don't do it every time. Heck, on the 4 this afternoon, when they'd go to a tower cam before the 4:45 weather, the shot came up on the wall, and it caught Alan, and especially Linda (who was on-set for the first time) off-guard.

By the way, Jerry did the first check of the weather at 10 from the 3x3 and the monitor to its side. The whole song and dance looked really good, and Jerry was really into it, getting up close and moving around. Also, I didn't realize how big the array was til now. The main anchor wall is apparently 7 feet tall, and it appears that the 3x3 is, too.

They do and they don't. I'd imagine that they don't always know when the reporter's going to pop up, as they don't do it every time. Heck, on the 4 this afternoon, when they'd go to a tower cam before the 4:45 weather, the shot came up on the wall, and it caught Alan, and especially Linda (who was on-set for the first time) off-guard.

By the way, Jerry did the first check of the weather at 10 from the 3x3 and the monitor to its side. The whole song and dance looked really good, and Jerry was really into it, getting up close and moving around. Also, I didn't realize how big the array was til now. The main anchor wall is apparently 7 feet tall, and it appears that the 3x3 is, too.

All they would have to do is write a notation into the copy on the prompter saying something to the effect of "You there on the set, turn around after you say Eric Horng..."

I really liked the first check weather segment. Jerry had more energy then normal and that's a beautiful part of the set. I also liked the cold open that started in front of the skyline...

They've appeared in the cold open in front of the wall each night, even starting the actually newscast from that spot on Monday. They also used the wall (anchors not visible) to show the line of GOP candidates from tonight's debate, something that strikes me as very network-like...especially since World News Tonight does that same thing every night.

They've appeared in the cold open in front of the wall each night, even starting the actually newscast from that spot on Monday. They also used the wall (anchors not visible) to show the line of GOP candidates from tonight's debate, something that strikes me as very network-like...especially since World News Tonight does that same thing every night.

WXYZ has been using their new array wall the same way since they got it, although they drift by it with the camera moving often and they seldom open it there. This may be a style trend too...

Does WLS have the room in there to truck by the monitor array?

Does WLS have the room in there to truck by the monitor array?

I'd imagine not. They could maybe drift a little bit while panning to give the effect, but there isn't much space, especially being the anchor desk.

I watched a little bit of their 4pm. While they did a little bit of (way too fast) panning, there wasn't any trucking on the shots. Is that space really cramped? It's hard for me to get a perspective of their space, since I've never seen it in person.

I think this was posted here on Sunday, but this video shows that area in way my words couldn't describe.

[MEDIA=instagram]9Qpp6lp42S[/MEDIA]

I think this was posted here on Sunday, but this video shows that area in way my words couldn't describe.

[MEDIA=instagram]9Qpp6lp42S[/MEDIA]

Yeah, it looks like it's tight in there with a lot of obstacles.

On a somewhat related note, the lighting is fantastic. Also digging their utilization of the monitor array behind the desk.

I'm disappointed in the way they mounted the monitor for the weather folks to use... Jerry was clearly looking to *HIS* left and around or over the camera to try to see the monitor so he could keep track of what he was pointing at... they should have just used a conventional floor mount for the monitor... the live shots popping up on the monitor array is getting old really fast...

I'm guessing there's no mounted monitor by the 3x3 for a weather person, so Jerry's looking at one of the screens near the ceiling. Perhaps they didn't like how Jerry was looking at the array the whole time last night. Again, a lot of experimenting, at this point.

As for the live shot tosses, I'd imagine they'll find a good balance as time goes on. They're getting more comfortable with the new toys, and I'm sure the thrill will wear off. They weren't doing it too much in the first couple days, but have ramped it up in recent days. And, I'm guessing sweeps is a factor in showing off what they CAN do, versus what they'll NORMALLY do in the future.

I'm guessing there's no mounted monitor by the 3x3 for a weather person, so Jerry's looking at one of the screens near the ceiling. Perhaps they didn't like how Jerry was looking at the array the whole time last night. Again, a lot of experimenting, at this point.

As for the live shot tosses, I'd imagine they'll find a good balance as time goes on. They're getting more comfortable with the new toys, and I'm sure the thrill will wear off. They weren't doing it too much in the first couple days, but have ramped it up in recent days. And, I'm guessing sweeps is a factor in showing off what they CAN do, versus what they'll NORMALLY do in the future.

Yeah but when what you can do looks awful why keep it going? All they need to do is turn around at the end of the last sentence in the toss... That shouldn't take much...

Not mounting a monitor is strange... Isn't that industry standard? Everywhere I've seen weather done they have one in use...

Not mounting a monitor is strange... Isn't that industry standard? Everywhere I've seen weather done they have one in use...

You know, I'm wondering if the monitor is/was out, because I know they had them in the old studio. Or maybe Jerry didn't have his contacts in. :D

You know, I'm wondering if the monitor is/was out, because I know they had them in the old studio. Or maybe Jerry didn't have his contacts in. :D

I bet you're on to something... It's unthinkable it wouldn't be there...

Does Jerry ever appear in glasses?

Archived