WLS To Get New Set

24994J

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bare minimum, I'd imagine it would be the branded curtains. It really depends on how secretive they're being about it. Honestly, I was thinking on taking the train down there on Monday, and again on opening day, as my school schedule this semester will allow me a lot of free time.

So has anybody walked by the State Street Studio and seen if they blocked the windows out (I'm sure they have) and what they blocked them with?

As of last night, nothing has been blocked out aside from all the shades being pulled down. You can look inside the studio from where the weather center once was. Since it's somewhat unclear how long this whole process is going to take, it's safe to assume blocking out the windows is days/weeks away (if they block them at all). My guess is that they may put up some promotional shades/banners..i.e..'A new look from ABC 7 Eyewitness News', etc...but who knows.

So, I'm hangin' downtown right now, right around the corner from 190 North and, sure enough, the blue 'ABC 7 News' shades are down, and the bright, midday sun made it difficult to see through the inch-wide gaps at the windows' edge, though it seemed completely dark and/or empty behind the curtains. Wouldn't it be hilarious if they kept the old shades after the new set is done? They also seem to have updated the ticker and video wall animations since the last time I past.

[MEDIA=twitter]635855834061402112[/MEDIA]

So they lifted up one of the shades this afternoon/evening. Aside from on-going work to remove the lighting grid, there really isn't much left aside from a few small monitors (that are still operational) hanging from the ceiling/on a wall, etc... One of the pillars (load bearing no doubt) appears to be damaged at the bottom and is either being fixed or removed. I hope it's the latter than the former. They really need to open up the space and be creative with the set design.

So they lifted up one of the shades this afternoon/evening. Aside from on-going work to remove the lighting grid, there really isn't much left aside from a few small monitors (that are still operational) hanging from the ceiling/on a wall, etc... One of the pillars (load braring no doubt) appears to be damaged at the bottom and is either being fixed or removed. I hope it's the latter than the former. They really need to open up the space and be creative with the set design.

Where would that pillar be? My first guess would be the (former) stand-up area, stage right?

Where would that pillar be? My first guess would be the (former) stand-up area, stage right?

Yes. Stage right, former stand-up area. There are two pillars there and at the bottom of one of them, the plasture (or cement) is broken. I'm not sure if these can be removed and replace with a load bearing header (for example), but again, they really need to open up that space.

A report I just stumbled upon online says the new set should be completed in time for November sweeps.

November? If that's true, then what the hell are they building that they'll need two and a half months to build it? It had better be something on the scale of WAGA if that's the case.

November? If that's true, then what the hell are they building that they'll need two and a half months to build it? It had better be something on the scale of WAGA if that's the case.

That timetable (2-3 months) is about right given this was a complete set gut and they don't seem to (or need to) be in any rush. I believe they started working on the floors (and walls maybe) this week. Honestly, the overall layout of the studio (it's not a simple open square or rectangular space) isn't the most ideal which would require some planning and creative thinking on their part.

I happened to be in the area this afternoon, and I was able to peek in at the studio through one of the shades that was about half-open. Honestly, things look about the same as what jase described a couple of weeks ago. The pillar in the former standup area still stands, and it's just a mess in there. The late October/beginning of November estimate seems pretty on point to me. They've got a really long way to go.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='dabnis74']Any update on set construction? It was suppose to debut this month.[/QUOTE] Considering the source of that timeline (NewscastStudio) I'd take it with a grain of salt... If nothing had been done on the 7th as @alex979 reported, I'd say don't expect to see it until mid October, and that's assuming they started a few days after.

They have recently started putting the puzzle together, if you will, so there really isn't anything new to report. All I can say is that some boxes (all identical in size/shape) have been opened and it's super bright inside the studio (not sure if that's a temporary or permanent thing).

Archived