WLS To Get New Set

24994J

KGO's market doesn't demand a new set. They're doing well in the ratings, and KTVU hasn't had a new set in over 10 years. The KGO set is muted enough that it ages well, especially with the giant live video wall.

KTVU built an entirely new set and renovated their newsroom in 2012. Even KRON built a new set instead of shoehorning their old one into the KGO building, as was what most people expected they would do. KGO is now the only one left in the Bay Area with a set built in the pre-HD days.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KGO's market doesn't demand a new set. They're doing well in the ratings, and KTVU hasn't had a new set in over 10 years. The KGO set is muted enough that it ages well, especially with the giant live video wall.

I'm not convinced KTRK is getting a new set - the source is a Tweet noticing they're on a temp set. But they could be doing the same lighting updates KGO and WLS did.

WLS was definitely due for a set. The angles of the set structure didn't age well.

This weekend will now be the 4th week that KTRK has been in their temporary set up, I can't recall lighting updates taking this long. KTRK has not confirmed it but they also have never confirmed their last 2 new sets until it was unveiled. They've also used the same faux studio wall that they use when they're constructing a new set.

I'm not convinced KTRK is getting a new set - the source is a Tweet noticing they're on a temp set. But they could be doing the same lighting updates KGO and WLS did.

WLS was definitely due for a set. The angles of the set structure didn't age well.

I doubt they would go out of their way to make the temp set look presentable and have a screen printed up with their current graphics if they were just doing lighting upgrades. Also, just because a station is doing well in the ratings does not mean that there is no demand for a new set. It all depends on if there is enough money in the budget for a new one. Plus, WLS and KTRK are facing increased competition from other stations in their respective markets, so while they may be doing well in a sense, they're not in the same place (ratings wise) they were a few years back.

KTVU built an entirely new set and renovated their newsroom in 2012. Even KRON built a new set instead of shoehorning their old one into the KGO building, as was what most people expected they would do. KGO is now the only one left in the Bay Area with a set built in the pre-HD days.

Forgot they did that new set in 2012. It looked so close to the prior one it blended in. Same woods, same Golden Gate bridge, same banner across the top.

The overhaul that put the giant video wall in was post HD for KGO, and it feels of the same vintage as KTVU's set. KNTV's is Clickspring-lite, nothing dazzling there. And KRON got the budget package. It's a pretty conservative set market and always has been.

KTRK...we will see. KPRC's set gave them a run for their money.

I'm glad they are FINALLY getting a new set. I'm not sure what their current set was supposed to be with the ABC 7 sign in the back, a city skyline on one side, and then blue backdrops on the other. WABC, WPVI, and KABC have had cool sets for awhile.

Personally, I think the basic skyline backdrop/video loop is terribly overused, and I found pride in the fact that most of the Chicago stations have mostly avoided the tired practice over the years.

Ron Magers was wrong the other night when he claimed that they were doing the news in a closet.

The closet's where interviews are being done...

935398_630x354.jpg

That's not really that different than the SSS's interview area to be honest... The SSS is a closet of a set too. I really hope the new one is more versatile.

That's not really that different than the SSS's interview area to be honest... The SSS is a closet of a set too. I really hope the new one is more versatile.

I agree..I hope the footprint of both the interview area and the weather center is expanded. There seems to be a lot of space that they're not fully taking advantage of. That said, I'm not confident they can execute a ton in 4-6 weeks, but we shall see.

I agree..I hope the footprint of both the interview area and the weather center is expanded. There seems to be a lot of space that they're not fully taking advantage of. That said, I'm not confident they can execute a ton in 4-6 weeks, but we shall see.

I agree with that. I wish they had maybe 1 more storefront for it. I'd like to see more anchor stand-ups and things away from the desk too. They always seem to just sit at the desk.

I was on JHD Group's website and I saw what the new set for WLS and WTVT might be.

http://jhdgroup.net/broadcast_news/

WTVT's set is on the bottom of the page, just click the photo to enlarge.

If that's what the set will look like then I dig it and it's depth. I would like to see them have a live desk position that can be used against the window.

I was on JHD Group's website and I saw what the new set for WLS and WTVT might be.

http://jhdgroup.net/broadcast_news/

WTVT's set is on the bottom of the page, just click the photo to enlarge.

I would just take those designs with a grain of salt at the moment as both are conceptual, and may not reflect the final product being given to those two stations. Case in point: if you browse further on their website, you will see a concept for WAGA that was never used (they eventually went with Devlin for their set design).

1. I like that mock-up. Nice blend of traditional and modern, with the familiar placement and positions of the old State Street Studio.

2. Keep in mind, this was an early rendering of the first SSS. While it's not too far off the final project, it is very different...

abc7chicagostudio.jpg

3. It's easy to forget how much potential depth their studio has. Take the anchor base out and there's like 30-40 extra square feet.

http://www.turnerconstruction.com/Files/ProjectImage?url=%2Fsites%2Fmarketingstories%2FMarketing%20Story%20Images%2Foriginal.de8aadac-35f1-43c8-9d54-f7c736347664.jpg&width=707&height=470&crop=True&jpegQuality=95

Hold up.

That design is from JHD, but we're led to believe that Jack Morton is handling this project. As I'm not super familiar with either agency, is it possible that they work together (like Morton outsourcing the set to JHD), or are we blowing smoke?

I hope it changes... That looks a little small market...

To be fair and cautiously optimistic, these renderings never look good. At least that's the stance I'm taking.

Hold up.

That design is from JHD, but we're led to believe that Jack Morton is handling this project. As I'm not super familiar with either agency, is it possible that they work together (like Morton outsourcing the set to JHD), or are we blowing smoke?

To be fair and cautiously optimistic, these renderings never look good. At least that's the stance I'm taking.

I believe there have been several cases where Morton has designed the set and built by another company. IIRC that was the case for a few of the CBS O&O's that got new sets.

I believe there have been several cases where Morton has designed the set and built by another company. IIRC that was the case for a few of the CBS O&O's that got new sets.

Thank you. That was the point I was trying to say, but I had a brain cramp trying to put it in words.

Morton-designed. JHD-built.

When a station is going to buy a new set, or graphics for that matter, several companies will pitch designs. Companies that don't get selected for the final design are really free to do whatever they want with their pitched designs (Case in point: AccuWeather Network and Renderon). I don't believe there is a company out there that would release images of an ongoing project, especially in an industry where stations will go out of their way to make sure employees don't leak photos of sets being constructed up to threatening to terminate the employment of anyone who does.

The images on JHD's website mark them as "conceptual designs" and I would expect they are nothing more than that. Plus, the one "conceptual design" that has actually been built (The Good Day Carolinas set) is quite different than the concept.

1. I like that mock-up. Nice blend of traditional and modern, with the familiar placement and positions of the old State Street Studio.

2. Keep in mind, this was an early rendering of the first SSS. While it's not too far off the final project, it is very different...

abc7chicagostudio.jpg

3. It's easy to forget how much potential depth their studio has. Take the anchor base out and there's like 30-40 extra square feet.

http://www.turnerconstruction.com/Files/ProjectImage?url=%2Fsites%2Fmarketingstories%2FMarketing%20Story%20Images%2Foriginal.de8aadac-35f1-43c8-9d54-f7c736347664.jpg&width=707&height=470&crop=True&jpegQuality=95

The original design from BDI appears to have took into account the large amount of space behind the news set (where Windy City Live currently is). Obviously, had they built that, it probably would have been replaced much sooner so WCL could have studio space.

Thank you. That was the point I was trying to say, but I had a brain cramp trying to put it in words.

Morton-designed. JHD-built.

Blackwalnut usually fabricates Jack Morton's sets. Not many of the set design companies actually fabricate the sets themselves, and several of the "big" ones (Clickspring, Jack Morton) use Blackwalnut. Devlin and FX are the only designer/fabricators that I can recall off the top of my head, but there are others. JHD used Chicago Scenic for the Big Ten Network's set.

Color me stunned. I've never seen such an extensive temporary set, or such a spectacular failure.

I mean, I don't know what this is. The anchor shot looks updated, but a little underwhelming...

bandicam%202015-08-18%2016-48-05-841_zpsk4z43czc.jpg

Sure looks "new", or at least updated.

bandicam%202015-08-18%2016-18-08-245_zpssm0foooj.jpg

There's even the weather center...

bandicam%202015-08-18%2016-30-55-927_zpsj4iz5jce.jpg

So, it's the State Street Studio. It has to be, right?

THEN WHAT THE HELL AND WHERE IS THIS???

bandicam%202015-08-18%2016-51-30-963_zpss6ewa50z.jpg

bandicam%202015-08-18%2016-57-24-377_zpso5pgb0me.jpg

There are no exits, missing walls, and look at the desk platform. This HAS to be temporary, right?

Color me stunned. I've never seen such an extensive temporary set, or such a spectacular failure.

Looks like they took parts of the old set and moved it up to the 3rd floor studio,where they had the temporary set.

Looks like they took parts of the old set and moved it up to the 3rd floor studio,where they had the temporary set.

Yeah I think that's what they did... Nice touch there. It's parts of the old set. Hopefully they leave it UP there or keep the parts for the long haul. It's a good replica.

Archived