WLS To Get New Set

24994J

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on some comments by Giangreco on ESPN1000 tonight, the assembly of the new set is in progress, as he had a hard time get past stuff to enter the studio. Between him and host Tom Waddle, they used the terms "huge" and "spaceship" to describe the new digs, and that with all the flat panel screens, it'll "look like the Emmys every night". He also said that it reminds him of this upscale Italian grocery store in downtown, which translate to white, gray and wood tones, with very nice accent lighting. Oh, and "no food allowed". :D

Based on some comments by Giangreco on ESPN1000 tonight, the assembly of the new set is in progress, as he had a hard time get past stuff to enter the studio. Between him and host Tom Waddle, they used the terms "huge" and "spaceship" to describe the new digs, and that with all the flat panel screens, it'll "look like the Emmys every night". He also said that it reminds him of this upscale Italian grocery store in downtown, which translate to white, gray and wood tones, with very nice accent lighting. Oh, and "no food allowed". :D

To make the shoebox huge they would have to knock some walls out... Either that or he's using a different definition of huge...

Another brightly colored set to go with all the others lately? Maybe the wood will break up the monotony...

It probably just uses the space better. There was a lot of wasted space on the old set since there were so many round/curved parts.

Since nothing has happened to Windy City Live, the set isn't going to be any deeper than it previously was.

It probably just uses the space better. There was a lot of wasted space on the old set since there were so many round/curved parts.

Since nothing has happened to Windy City Live, the set isn't going to be any deeper than it previously was.

I don't think big can ever be used to describe the shoebox even if it was just walls... The curves on the old set May have made it worse but I doubt it's that big anyways...

So they have really ramped things up a lot in recent days. A video wall/backdrop is up and running and what may be either the new weather center or stand up/interview area (tough to say which one at the moment) is starting to take shape. Weeters is right in saying (suggesting) they will use the space better because that's clearly what they are doing.

I like what I am seeing so far and they could be done by mid-October at the earliest (if not sooner). Of course everything hinges on how many trial runs they plan to do and the like.

Are you implying that the weather center (or interview area) might be placed at the south end of the studio? If so, I was just thinking the other day how that could be more ideal for the existing layout.

Are you implying that the weather center (or interview area) might be placed at the south end of the studio? If so, I was just thinking the other day how that could be more ideal for the existing layout.

It's possible that the weather center is moving somewhere else, but I can't say for certain it is. At the moment, it doesn't scream 'First Alert Weather Center' given there's no desk, computers, signage, etc... around just a few small monitors on the wall(s) in that area.

I won't get a chance until tomorrow to get a better sense of things.

Again, Blackwalnut is the set fabricator that Clickspring and Jack Morton PDG use.

Well hopefully they fabricate high quality stuff then... They are probably more important than the designers in whether it gets put together right anyways...

Nope. Always been there...since '06.

fbc118c682e336cbf445f78afa5573e0.jpg

It really blends in with the facade. I almost think it blends in because of the ledges above and the fact that it's relatively small compared to the length of the studios.

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: The promotional signage has been removed from the windows so, in theory, they could unveil the new set at any time. I wouldn't expect new graphics/music but likely just some small updates to both (but don't hold me to that).

Take my word when I say the new set is 1000x better than the old one. The video wall by itself is pretty sweet.

Archived