WLS To Get New Set

24994J

There are two sets of monitors (on either side) of the green screen. One set is mounted on a frame (you can see it in the posted video above) and the other set sits on a wooden base with wheels. In theory, the one with wheels could be moved around, but it's probably a hassle to do so. Hope this make sense.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There are two sets of monitors (on either side) of the green screen. One set is mounted on a frame (you can see it in the posted video above) and the other set sits on a wooden base with wheels. In theory, the one with wheels could be moved around, but it's probably a hassle to do so. Hope this make sense.

It certainly gives me a better picture, thanks jase...

I wonder if it was indeed just some sort of technical thing then? It looked mighty awkward to see Jerry looking straight but his eyes all the way to his left...

It certainly gives me a better picture, thanks jase...

I wonder if it was indeed just some sort of technical thing then? It looked mighty awkward to see Jerry looking straight but his eyes all the way to his left...

Which newscast was this, again?

Yeah, he did that entirely in front of the 3x3. I'm just making sure we're all on the same page, because I think Jase is referring to the green screen setup as having monitors on both sides at which Jerry can look.

I apologize to anyone on TVNT whose comments I've ever rolled my eyes at. This is, by far, the stupidest news-related comment I've ever read...

[MEDIA=twitter]660061515622559745[/MEDIA]

Yeah, he did that entirely in front of the 3x3. I'm just making sure we're all on the same page, because I think Jase is referring to the green screen setup as having monitors on both sides at which Jerry can look.

Yeah..since one of the setups is on wheels, that one 'could' be moved to the alcove. But again, I'm sure it's a pain to do. I'm surprised he just didn't look directly at the 3x3. It, along with everything else, must give off a glare or something making it difficult to see.

Didn't realize WMAQ had such a lead at 10pm.

The set is nice but isn't going to do much to drive ratings.

I do respect Ron Magers and his work, but maybe time to pass the baton to Alan and take the 6. There's a deep enough bench to back fill him.

Frankly an Alan and Cheryl combo at 10 feels right.

I like Alan and Cheryl together, a little more than I like her with Ron (though I liked her paired with Rob Johnson the most), but holy hell, I can't fathom the thought of her being lead anchor. I'll take Kathy or Karen at 10, every day of the week, and lucky for me, I can.

I like Alan and Cheryl together, a little more than I like her with Ron (though I liked her paired with Rob Johnson the most), but holy hell, I can't fathom the thought of her being lead anchor. I'll take Kathy or Karen at 10, every day of the week, and lucky for me, I can.

Cheryl is annoying but toned down... You can do much worse in a big market... Trust me.

No. It was there from start to demolition.

I have a random question about this. I was watching Phil this morning outlining a front on the screen. Is it touch sensitive. How does it follow his finger if it is retractable?

I have a random question about this. I was watching Phil this morning outlining a front on the screen. Is it touch sensitive. How does it follow his finger if it is retractable?

It's not actually touch sensitive, it's a system called MagicTrak that tracks the movements of his hands via the camera. It's part of the WSI MAX suite of software they use.

It's not actually touch sensitive, it's a system called MagicTrak that tracks the movements of his hands via the camera. It's part of the WSI MAX suite of software they use.

I had no idea, and I was always baffled by this. Thanks!

They had that technology on the old set, as well. I think they've been using it since 2006 or 2007 or so, if memory serves me correctly. Phil seems to be the only one who likes the technology; I haven't seen anyone else use it in ages.

I saw him trying to work with it last night and it apparently didn't pick up his hand

They had that technology on the old set, as well. I think they've been using it since 2006 or 2007 or so, if memory serves me correctly. Phil seems to be the only one who likes the technology; I haven't seen anyone else use it in ages.

I want to say Mike Caplan used it a little bit. (He would put his finger on a temperature and it would have an effect on it)

Tracy used it fairly frequently on the 11am show when she had more time, and all 4 had fun with the toys when the weather graphics were revamped in the summer of 2013 (pre-Eyewitness News package with the angled slides and progressively-shrinking 7-day).

There was a clip during WCL where they had the meteorologist show off the "touch screen" and had the host try it for themselves. Sometimes it works other times it didn't. You could see the meteorologist holding the clicker in hand pressing buttons.

There was a clip during WCL where they had the meteorologist show off the "touch screen" and had the host try it for themselves. Sometimes it works other times it didn't. You could see the meteorologist holding the clicker in hand pressing buttons.

The thing is that when it actually worked they were NOT pressing buttons... That's even if it looked like it. The system isn't very good or practical at any rate.

Time to let this thread die, but first...

[MEDIA=twitter]662300617818431488[/MEDIA]

That program always has something to say about the news media and it always ends up funny. If anybody's gonna do something like this, then it's the WGN Morning News.

Archived