WLS To Get New Set

24994J

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There must have been some kind of snafu.

And this, everyone, is why we unveil fun new things on Saturdays.

Didn't some else infer that there was more going on behind the scenes than just a set redo? I only bring this up because I recently learned ABC World News, ABC World News Now, America This Morning and (I think GMA Weekend as it comes from the same studio) all are automated on Ross OverDrive. Could this be a step into transferring the O&O onto a similar system so the network will only have to manage/support one standard?

Maybe they were running the systems in tangent and something happened?

Didn't some else infer that there was more going on behind the scenes than just a set redo? I only bring this up because I recently learned ABC World News, ABC World News Now, America This Morning and (I think GMA Weekend as it comes from the same studio) all are automated on Ross OverDrive. Could this be a step into transferring the O&O onto a similar system so the network will only have to manage/support one standard?

Maybe they were running the systems in tangent and something happened?

If memory serves me correctly, WLS has been automated for some time. There are any number of things that can go wrong that could have required them getting off the set and moving to the newsroom.

I have know idea whose account this following image came from other than it was tagged in this tagged in this TVForum.co.uk post. But I noticed the camera's targets are tied down with gaffers tape. Surely those pedestals will rip that board to shreds. CSH0Z65UkAAtyYa.jpg

I believe those grey things on the targets are steel pads that the pedestal wheels sit on. It helps prevent the wheels on heavy pedestals like these from spinning and digging holes in the floor over time. They were much more common with the old TSM pedestals. You can see them (obviously much bigger than the ones at WLS) in this old picture taken at WTMJ quite well:

[MEDIA=flickr]3258987967[/MEDIA]

EDIT: Here are some on-air screenshots:

[GALLERY=media, 719]Monitor Wall OTS Single Anchor by Weeters posted Oct 25, 2015 at 5:24 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 720]Monitor Wall OTS 2-shot by Weeters posted Oct 25, 2015 at 5:24 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 721]Weather Center Standup by Weeters posted Oct 25, 2015 at 5:24 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 722]Desk Three Shot by Weeters posted Oct 25, 2015 at 5:24 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 723]Desk Three Shot #2 by Weeters posted Oct 25, 2015 at 5:24 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 724]Weather Toss by Weeters posted Oct 25, 2015 at 5:48 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 725]Turn towards monitor wall by Weeters posted Oct 25, 2015 at 6:04 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 726]Standup Area Monitor Array by Weeters posted Oct 25, 2015 at 6:13 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 727]Touchscreen monitor standup by Weeters posted Oct 25, 2015 at 6:23 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 728]Standup Area - Alternate Monitor by Weeters posted Oct 25, 2015 at 6:33 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 729]Interview Set Monitor Wall by Weeters posted Oct 25, 2015 at 6:53 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 730]Interview Set Wide by Weeters posted Oct 25, 2015 at 6:53 AM[/GALLERY][GALLERY=media, 731]Interview Set Guest by Weeters posted Oct 25, 2015 at 6:53 AM[/GALLERY]

Nice to see they're throwing to the live shots with a video image behind the anchors. That's a lost art you don't see much anymore.

I would just move the frame down a touch and put some Eyewitness News 7 banner at the top of the graphic.

Looks very, very nice compared to what they had before. Very WABC-esque. Brilliant idea to use that massive video wall as their OTS graphics as well, though it's kind of strange to just have that random box floating in the skyline. Perhaps they should had some graphics to go behind it so it seems more "normal". Also not a big fan of that column that's there separating the news desk from the weather center. Makes it feel closed off and claustrophobic, but didn't someone mention that's a support beam that can't be moved?

All in all, still a good set for WLS. Much needed improvement.

If memory serves me correctly, WLS has been automated for some time. There are any number of things that can go wrong that could have required them getting off the set and moving to the newsroom.

I believe those grey things on the targets are steel pads that the pedestal wheels sit on. It helps prevent the wheels on heavy pedestals like these from spinning and digging holes in the floor over time. They were much more common with the old TSM pedestals. You can see them (obviously much bigger than the ones at WLS) in this old picture taken at WTMJ quite well:

Thanks for the grey pads information.

Also not a big fan of that column that's there separating the news desk from the weather center. Makes it feel closed off and claustrophobic, but didn't someone mention that's a support beam that can't be moved?

Those columns are load-bearing (I believe) which mean they can't be easily removed without replacing them with a load-bearing beam(s). The cost in doing any type of structural work of that kind is huge.

I'm sure they considered every option available (which likely held construction up a bit), but honestly, the best decision was to design around them. Looking at the above pics, one of the columns may have been removed, but it's tough to say without seeing the set in person.

Does anyone have a link to the studio tour showing how technologically advanced and one of the kind studio this is?

I'm betting that that'll air tomorrow at 4 with Alan Krashesky. He did the last tour in '06.

Meh. It's an improvement and much nicer than what they had but ultimately it feels a bit underwhelming especially for ABC 7 Chicago. It's too much like WABC to me and really just isn't as captivating as KTRK's new studio.

KTRK's is lots of open space with nothing filling it... This set used the space much better I think...

WABC's set definitely served as an influence, but the WLS set isn't hardly as cold and sterile, which I think is a plus. While I like the brighter atmosphere of KTRK, I don't think I would've suited ABC 7. Ultimately, the new State Street Studio improves on its predecessor, though it's not perfect. However, I don't know that my gripe is warranted, though. My ONLY beef with the new look is the switched weather and sports anchors. I have a sinking feeling that I'll get over it.

WABC's set definitely served as an influence, but the WLS set isn't hardly as cold and sterile, which I think is a plus. While I like the brighter atmosphere of KTRK, I don't think I would've suited ABC 7. Ultimately, the new State Street Studio improves on its predecessor, though it's not perfect. However, I don't know that my gripe is warranted, though. My ONLY beef with the new look is the switched weather and sports anchors. I have a sinking feeling that I'll get over it.

I agree the switched sides is a little bit different but it's all in the logistics of how they laid the set out. In terms of using the space this is 100 times better...

Archived