WLS To Get New Set

24994J

UPDATE: The promotional signage has been removed from the windows so, in theory, they could unveil the new set at any time. I wouldn't expect new graphics/music but likely just some small updates to both (but don't hold me to that).

Take my word when I say the new set is 1000x better than the old one. The video wall by itself is pretty sweet.

Is the set actually visible to the public walking by yet?

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A cryptic tweet by NewscastStudio says there are two big debuts tomorrow. I'm assuming they'll be WLS and KABC. UNFORTUNATELY, I'm out of town tomorrow night. The DVR is set, but I won't get caps of anything til Sunday evening.

As for new elements, I wouldn't be surprised if some things went 16:9, and I'd LOVE it if they changed to some of the other Stimulus cuts, particularly for the bumpers and closes, but I'm not holding my breathe.

A cryptic tweet by NewscastStudio says there are two big debuts tomorrow. I'm assuming they'll be WLS and KABC. UNFORTUNATELY, I'm out of town tomorrow night. The DVR is set, but I won't get caps of anything til Sunday evening.

apparently it includes something "national" click the time stamp on twitter to read the full exchange

[MEDIA=twitter]657647796317585408[/MEDIA]

That exchange was with me, so I saw it, but thanks. Should be a helluva week, and it'll be interesting when NS's set of the year list comes out.

So 2 debuts tomorrow, many more Monday PLUS a national one nobody saw coming... That's the upshot of that tweet. Didn't KTRK debut on a weekend too? I know the 2013 graphics at WLS debuted on a Saturday...

Everything important on WLS has debuted on a Saturday since 2005 (2 graphics, 1 set, and the HD debut). The only exceptions are the three temp sets (Thursday, Friday, Tuesday) and the refresh (Monday) this and last year.

I was going to mention it yesterday, but ESPN1000 has been in their 7th (I think it's the 7th) floor studio the last few days because of the new set, and I can only assume that some of that might have been rehearsal time.

Everything on WLS has debuted on Saturday since 2005. The only exceptions are the three temp sets (Thursday, Friday, Tuesday) and the refresh (Monday) this and last year.

This should be fun then... I'll be watching then... It'll be interesting to see if they ever add talent opens in addition to their rejoins... I've always thought they did it backwards and now would be a good time to fix it. Of course that's if they do much to the graphics (do they need much anyways?)

This should be fun then... I'll be watching then... It'll be interesting to see if they ever add talent opens in addition to their rejoins... I've always thought they did it backwards and now would be a good time to fix it. Of course that's if they do much to the graphics (do they need much anyways?)

Nobody, save for Troy Christensen, is in need of a new talent shot (but his part-time status has prevented that), seeing that no one has aged significantly or had their face whacked up. Even if they did, they're very easy to reshoot, compared to the Hothaus opens. Also, they'll sooner dump the talent rejoins before they move them back to the top of the show. Frankly, their placement now isn't an issue, though I wish the morning show would go back to the 'This Morning' branding, instead of having separate 4:30, 5 and 6am opens, PLUS TWO talent variations for each block. That seems like such a silly thing to have to plug in every morning, when the weekend shows are nice and simple.

Is the set actually visible to the public walking by yet?[/QUote]

Yes and no. You can see inside where the weather center was (now an area for stand ups?), the video wall/ backdrop (which has a bit of a curve to it) and the anchor desk/chairs. All that I have described has been visable on and off since construction started. Can't wait to see everything in action.

That exchange was with me, so I saw it, but thanks. Should be a helluva week, and it'll be interesting when NS's set of the year list comes out.

oh that's you? ok thanks , i wonder who the "National" outlet is?

Yes and no. You can see inside where the weather center was (now an area for stand ups?), the video wall/ backdrop (which has a bit of a curve to it) and the anchor desk/chairs. All that I have described has been visable on and off since construction started. Can't wait to see everything in action.

Since you're answering and I'm an impatient S.O.B., is the desk in pretty much the same spot?

Nobody, save for Troy Christensen, is in need of a new talent shot (but his part-time status has prevented that), seeing that no one has aged significantly or had their face whacked up. Even if they did, they're very easy to reshoot, compared to the Hothaus opens. Also, they'll sooner dump the talent rejoins before they move them back to the top of the show. Frankly, their placement now isn't an issue, though I wish the morning show would go back to the 'This Morning' branding, instead of having separate 4:30, 5 and 6am opens, PLUS TWO talent variations for each block. That seems like such a silly thing to have to plug in every morning, when the weekend shows are nice and simple.

See I think rejoins are a little redundant and the talent if you're gonna do it should go at the top of the show. The morning show isn't using the "This Morning" branding anymore? I know they've had promos that said "ABC7 Eyewitness News In The Morning". What are they calling it in the opens now (I'm never up that early to look and see).

Where is ESPN 1000 normally that they had to move?

I can't either this should be great. Hopefully they jumped on the monitor array and anchor standups from different spots galore bandwagon. It'd be kind of fun to see them in several spots I think.

See I think rejoins are a little redundant and the talent if you're gonna do it should go at the top of the show. The morning show isn't using the "This Morning" branding anymore? I know they've had promos that said "ABC7 Eyewitness News In The Morning". What are they calling it in the opens now (I'm never up that early to look and see).

Where is ESPN 1000 normally that they had to move?

Someone will occasionally refer to it as 'This Morning' on air, the promos say 'In the Morning', and the TOTH and talent rejoins say 'ABC 7 Eyewitness News at 4:30/5/6'. The branding's not as messy as it sounds, it's just a little generic. That said, at least it's not...

ESPN is in the window between the video strip and the main building entrance, and they enter the studio from the traffic office/windowed room behind the video strip. I don't recall if that room has an exit to the hallway, but it also connects to the TV studio, which, if it's the only way in or out, would require a trip through the news set.

oh that's you? ok thanks , i wonder who the "National" outlet is?

I'm 95% sure I know what he's talking about and I would advise you to not get your hopes up...

If it's what I'm thinking it is, it's not national as in "network" it's national as in "a hybrid local/national program" that may or may not have a national desk in Denver.

I'm 95% sure I know what he's talking about and I would advise you to not get your hopes up...

If it's what I'm thinking it is, it's not national as in "network" it's national as in "a hybrid local/national program" that may or may not have a national desk in Denver.

Oh of those...

Since you're answering and I'm an impatient S.O.B., is the desk in pretty much the same spot?

Yes. Same spot. The city is working on the entire sidewalk in front of the studio, so unless that gets wrapped up by 6P, they may not pull the shades up.

Archived