Nielsen released 2015-16 DMA Rankings.

CircleSeven

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
was the growth in the DMA size for the Charlotte market a factor as to why Fox purchased WJZY/WMYT besides the Panthers being in the NFC? (which Fox has rights to) Just curious

Certainly Charlotte is an attractive market for its growth. That said, Capital Broadcasting basically sold off WJZY/WMYT in order to protect WRAZ in Raleigh.

Certainly Charlotte is an attractive market for its growth. That said, Capital Broadcasting basically sold off WJZY/WMYT in order to protect WRAZ in Raleigh.

That was another factor too. I just thought that Charlotte's growth combined with the Panthers being in the NFC (which Fox has rights to) is what made Fox enter the Charlotte market.

That was another factor too. I just thought that Charlotte's growth combined with the Panthers being in the NFC (which Fox has rights to) is what made Fox enter the Charlotte market.

I wonder if Fox will try and get back into St Louis or Milwaukee at some point...

I wonder if Fox will try and get back into St Louis or Milwaukee at some point...
Fox getting back into St Louis? Probably not since there is a possibility (and I hope it does happen) that the Rams will move back into LA. I also doubt that they'll get back into Milwaukee unless for whatever reason Tribune is going to buy another station, but had to sell WITI to relieve them from the ownership cap if it got in the way.

Also, if DFW ends up growing into a DMA #4 (which it might within 5 years), then Tegna may want to sell WFAA (presumably to ABC) either by itself or via trade deal between said station and WPVI.

Also, if DFW ends up growing into a DMA #4 (which it might within 5 years), then Tegna may want to sell WFAA (presumably to ABC) either by itself or via trade deal between said station and WPVI.

Why would ABC even need to sell WPVI? It's practically the strongest ABC O&O in the country. Plus, ABC (and CBS and NBC) have been pretty silent in the M&A Craze and I doubt they'll stir up anything anytime soon.

I believe news Emmys (at least The National Capitol Chesapeake Bay Chapters) says that DMAS #1-50 fall into the large market category, #51-100 medium market and #101-210 are small markets.

So congratulations are in order as most of us live in a large market.

Baltimore stayed at #26 but grew about 7,000 homes.

That's interesting we dropped about 25,000 homes in Kansas City. I wonder, since K.C. is a Google Fiber city, and an AT&T Gigabit city, if some people have dumped standard television altogether in favor of pure streaming entertainment.

Archived