WJCL gets Hearst graphics..."22" is back

AJClementeFan69

From what I've seen it looks good. It always is strange seeing what I'd call is the base package when everything was new and there have been no tweaks and when the style guide was followed to the T. I also can't seem to get used to the right hand side OTS where what I'd call the rotating diagrid cone is in the bottom corner. WBAL has used left hand only OTS elements since at least 2009. I guess they do it for simplicity and flexibility.

Also, I got a kick out of the sportscaster wearing shorts on air. [GALLERY=media, 717]Image by rkolsen posted Oct 20, 2015 at 11:52 PM[/GALLERY]

I'm still baffled why they have a totally different website than the other Hearst-owned stations... When they went from Media General to Hearst, I was expecting the Hearst layout...

Ikr? It looks like the station is owned by Nexstar.

[ATTACH=full]2377[/ATTACH]

http://www.wjcl.com/

Seems like legacy UHF stations that once shedded channel numbers in their brands have bringing them back over the past few years. KSHB, WWJ, WGCL, WTIC, now WJCL to name a few.

It be nice if WLKY could bring their channel number back to the fold. I thought NewsChannel 32 was a perfect fit for their branding. WLKY NEWS is ok.

WAVE 3 = WAVE 3 News

WHAS 11 = WHAS 11 News

WLKY 32 = WLKY News

WDRB 41 = WDRB News

Coincidence? Its rare that you'll find a market where all 4 news stations use their call sign for their news branding. And is it also a coincidence that two use their channel numbers and two don't? An equal mix if you ask me.

Pretty sure neither of those templates are specific to either Nexstar or Hearst. If you haven't noticed, most of Schurz's stations use the same template as the Hearst stations. (example, example, and example).

Keep in mind that Internet Broadcasting was bought by Nexstar. And Schurz's websites are probably due to be downgraded to the Gray template upon consummation of that deal.

WAVE 3 = WAVE 3 News

WHAS 11 = WHAS 11 News

WLKY 32 = WLKY News

WDRB 41 = WDRB News

Coincidence? Its rare that you'll find a market where all 4 news stations use their call sign for their news branding. And is it also a coincidence that two use their channel numbers and two don't? An equal mix if you ask me.

Seattle's another, but their Fox affiliate doesn't, though.

KOMO 4 News

KING 5 News

KIRO 7 Eyewitness News

From what I've seen it looks good. It always is strange seeing what I'd call is the base package when everything was new and there have been no tweaks and when the style guide was followed to the T. I also can't seem to get used to the right hand side OTS where what I'd call the rotating diagrid cone is in the bottom corner. WBAL has used left hand only OTS elements since at least 2009. I guess they do it for simplicity and flexibility.

Also, I got a kick out of the sportscaster wearing shorts on air. [GALLERY=media, 717]Image by rkolsen posted Oct 20, 2015 at 11:52 PM[/GALLERY]

They have utilized that hiddeously large, trapezoid bug PERFECTLY to suit their logo. Though it does look odd that the bug logo is a trapezoid but the station logo is a rectangle. Conflicts on air.

Seattle's another, but their Fox affiliate doesn't, though.

KOMO 4 News

KING 5 News

KIRO 7 Eyewitness News

Except that as of October 2015, its now the following:

KOMO News

KING 5 News

KING 5 News on KONG

KIRO 7 News

The only one that doesn't: Q13 FOX News. It does have a recognizable branding, just like the others.

It be nice if WLKY could bring their channel number back to the fold. I thought NewsChannel 32 was a perfect fit for their branding. WLKY NEWS is ok.

My favorite Voiceover is the introduction they used in the Early 2000s: "This is WLKY NewsChannel 32 Louisville. Now from the station Where The News Comes First. Your Live. Local. Late Breaking Coverage for Greater Louisville starts right now." -Chris Clausen

Could somebody upload the news opens so we can see what it looks like?

That's when WLKY used Image News in 2001

That was when they switched to The Hearst-Argyle TV News Music Package (with "Where The News Comes First" cut to it which they used until they switched to the "Live. Local. Late Breaking" cut in 2005)

That's the talent open.

Notice in the 2003 Topicals they we're still using "Image News" but on the Opens and the Talents they we're using the Hearst mandated theme song. BTW does anyone have the 11pm News Close for WLKY from that same period? I'm not too sure if they we're still using "Image News" or they switch to the Hearst mandate news package to go along with the Opens and Talent Intros? If not can someone please upload it to YouTube. Thanks

They have utilized that hiddeously large, trapezoid bug PERFECTLY to suit their logo. Though it does look odd that the bug logo is a trapezoid but the station logo is a rectangle. Conflicts on air.

Granite it does clash with the on screen monitor but I think it shows that it has a bit of versatility. Now I'm not sure if this is the actual logo that is seen on air. The web stream comes straight from the control room and the bug is inserted somewhere else before going online. For example WBAL is using their Olympic bug on air but online it's the normal state.

What I'd like to see happen is when the lower thirds turn red for breaking news the bug's background would turn red as well.

Archived