KFMB's Helicopter

A3N

I do not know what goodwill store it was purchased from.

LOL.

Based on that Instagram post, It looks like the main chopper was up in LA yesterday/today, for whatever reason.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Update...

Still having problems "Getting everything to work properly together"...

As for the paint/logo...

"There are plans for the future....."

Ahh, would explain the crappy picture.

"Future", We all know what that means...

I'm guessing they upgraded the whole system - wouldn't make sense to retrofit a new helicopter with older equipment? Chances are it's a high definition camera from Cineflex. Their base model media helicopter uses the same cameras that are used for the Today Show and other network programming. Even if the images are beamed back in SD widescreen the quality will be greatly improved.

It's a FrankenCopter...

Nothing new , just a bunch of shit pasted and taped together from other birds.

It's bare bones used and cheap. The airframe was built before most of you were born.

It's a FrankenCopter...

It's bare bones used and cheap. The airframe was built before most of you were born.

The airframe thing is true - but they get compete overhauls ever so often. I wouldn't question its air worthiness.

Lots of people question it's air worthiness.

The take off weight is so high that they only fill the tank halfway.

The pilots refuse to fly in the mountains because its overloaded...no flying during weather of any type.....and NO hovering...because it's at the max take off weight.

It's a budget bird ...

But like I say over and over....

There is NO incentive or desire to operate newer stuff. There is no competition.

Lots of people question it's air worthiness.

The take off weight is so high that they only fill the tank halfway.

The pilots refuse to fly in the mountains because its overloaded...no flying during weather of any type.....and NO hovering...because it's at the max take off weight.

It's a budget bird ...

But like I say over and over....

There is NO incentive or desire to operate newer stuff. There is no competition.

Until something unfortunate happens, then they'll start to re-consider...for a bit.

Put a few drinks in Jason Austel and ask him what he thought of chopper 8....

Lets see....

"Fiesta Island"

Was the Fiesta Island thing where Chopper 8 had to make an emergency landing?

They would just be banking hours anyway this time of year.

The BIG question is "what was the status of airframe CN/3470 pre-2005?

Salvage?

Maybe they can buy a drone, and cover "Breaking News" like the "Leader" they are...

Batteries NOT included[ATTACH=full]2481[/ATTACH]

Hey, I had one of those! They sold them at Arby's at the time. Wish I still had it.

Edit: Funny how the packaging says: "The UNSTOPPABLE Chopper 8". Ironically it was a loss of power that stopped Chopper 8.

Hey, I had one of those! They sold them at Arby's at the time. Wish I still had it.

Edit: Funny how the packaging says: "The UNSTOPPABLE Chopper 8". Ironically it was a loss of power that stopped Chopper 8.

They say that that dog Flyer was killed when he fell out of Chopper8 during a promo shoot.

Edit: Thank God the pup landed in the surf...if he had hit the sand he would have never lived the 13 minutes extra to finish the shoot.

R.I.P.

Flyer

They say that that dog Flyer was killed when he fell out of Chopper8 during a promo shoot.

Edit: Thank God the pup landed in the surf...if he had hit the sand he would have never lived the 13 minutes extra to finish the shoot.

R.I.P.

Flyer

Well, at least the name was appropriate...

It's a FrankenCopter...

Read the third column second paragraph. I'm assuming the helicopter they reference in the third column second paragraph is KFMB's bird which is being outfitted with the latest technology. It comes from a profile on Welk Aviation and the 206 Jet Ranger is the only bird in their fleet and is based out of San Diego.

page_39.jpg

You can read the full profile on Welk Aviation here: http://issuu.com/heliweb/docs/heliweb_dec

Read the third column second paragraph. I'm assuming the helicopter they reference in the third column second paragraph is KFMB's bird which is being outfitted with the latest technology. It comes from a profile on Welk Aviation and the 206 Jet Ranger is the only bird in their fleet and is based out of San Diego.

page_39.jpg

You can read the full profile on Welk Aviation here: http://issuu.com/heliweb/docs/heliweb_dec

The "latest technology" is a cut and paste job. Nobody is making plug and play eng gear for the 206...just A-stars.

Next this Latest technology does not work.

Finally a 206b-3 is a terrible platform for ENG work in California. terrain in the San Diego DMA goes from sealevel to 6000 feet asl. The police, medical and fire departments abandon the 206 years ago because it's slow and cannot carry much of anything unless you fly with only a half load of fuel. Chopper 8 cannot hover at 100% power for any amount of time.....cannot take a mountain pass....or keep up with any pursuits that exceed 100mph. The most recent top speed of chopper 8 was 119mph at 2000ft on a maintenance flight with only the pilot between San Diego and Pacoima(LA) a few weeks ago.

ACA is blowing smoke up somebody's ass.

Notice how the back-up A-Star never had problems.

Why doesn't Welk use an A-star for Chopper 8...

Because it's not in the budget.

206 B 3's suck as ENG airships....ask any ENG pilot.

Sure Larry would LOVE to use his A-star...but Total Traffic Network and the subscribers of Chopper 8 are too cheap.

The "latest technology" is a cut and paste job. Nobody is making plug and play eng gear for the 206...just A-stars.

Next this Latest technology does not work.

Finally a 206b-3 is a terrible platform for ENG work in California. terrain in the San Diego DMA goes from sealevel to 6000 feet asl. The police, medical and fire departments abandon the 206 years ago because it's slow and cannot carry much of anything unless you fly with only a half load of fuel. Chopper 8 cannot hover at 100% power for any amount of time.....cannot take a mountain pass....or keep up with any pursuits that exceed 100mph. The most recent top speed of chopper 8 was 119mph at 2000ft on a maintenance flight with only the pilot between San Diego and Pacoima(LA) a few weeks ago.

ACA is blowing smoke up somebody's ass.

Notice how the back-up A-Star never had problems.

Why doesn't Welk use an A-star for Chopper 8...

Because it's not in the budget.

206 B 3's suck as ENG airships....ask any ENG pilot.

Sure Larry would LOVE to use his A-star...but Total Traffic Network and the subscribers of Chopper 8 are too cheap.

Do you have a rough idea as to what the cost difference is between an A-Star and a 206? Also, it doesn't make sense for Welk to get a 206 for a contract when they have several A-stars available on fleet. Since I'm sure that they will have to pass along the cost of having acquired that chopper to TTN and KFMB...

Archived