KFMB's Helicopter

A3N

helofail.jpg.00d61d51648792408fbaaa1e1f29f3f8.jpg Averag

Do you have a rough idea as to what the cost difference is between an A-Star and a 206? Also, it doesn't make sense for Welk to get a 206 for a contract when they have several A-stars available on fleet. Since I'm sure that they will have to pass along the cost of having acquired that chopper to TTN and KFMB...

A lot of variables there.

I say about $450 grand for the 206.

An Astar is twice as much depending of many factors.

It's all based on cost per hour...more variables.

That airship has been floating around Van Nuys for a few years doing tours and movie work. It was N218SS(blue paint) from 2005 now it's N218GH(red paint).n218ss.thumb.jpg.4fa1c979c10e66d255ddcd611617b6d3.jpg

n218gh.jpg.c874accf97476beaabacd3218ec23b38.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chopper 8 is flying this morning...but don't expect anything but traffic reports.

Yeah, they've been up in the Chopper since New Year's Eve. They were even flying on New Year's Day...shocking. And, I gotta point out, that normally with this type of weather, even if there was/is clear skies they would still ground the chopper. That's not the case today. Color me impressed. Although, I do have to point out that the chopper doesn't sound as loud on-air, so i'm wondering if they're using the A-Star today.

Ahhhhh

Fresh snow in the mountains. You would think Chopper 8 would be all over that....just like the snow in LA.

But Nooooooo

You see Chopper 8 is flying today...just not to the mountains. The snow level is about 4500 feet, but that's way too high for Chopper 8...and way to far...not enough gas...not enough insurance...or flying experience.

Maybe if Phil goes on a diet we can have snow video.

Ahhhhh

Fresh snow in the mountains. You would think Chopper 8 would be all over that....just like the snow in LA.

But Nooooooo

You see Chopper 8 is flying today...just not to the mountains. The snow level is about 4500 feet, but that's way too high for Chopper 8...and way to far...not enough gas...not enough insurance...or flying experience.

Maybe if Phil goes on a diet we can have snow video.

Hey, at least they're flying. How many times have they been grounded when a little rain/wind/fog comes in?

For sure. Are they using the A-star or they back in the 206?

I can't tell you what bird is up today but the A-star would have NO problem going to the mountains as long as it was clear. But....

Looking at the wx radar it is pretty socked in still.

Camzone has yanked all the live wxcams,zoo cams and the Chopper 8 feed. KGTV and KUSI have now lost most their live wx cams (lol) cuz they tailgated off those feeds.

Sux to be cheap!

I can't tell you what bird is up today but the A-star would have NO problem going to the mountains as long as it was clear. But....

Looking at the wx radar it is pretty socked in still.

Camzone has yanked all the live wxcams,zoo cams and the Chopper 8 feed. KGTV and KUSI have now lost most their live wx cams (lol) cuz they tailgated off those feeds.

Sux to be cheap!

KUSI being Cheap?!?! No way! Never in a million years! :rolleyes: Hey, at least KFMB finally invested in upgrading their skycams to HD. KNSD uses the Irvine Co. cams if i'm not mistaken?

When KFMB upgraded the ENG RX sites to HD, they also upgraded the cameras. KGTV has a few dedicated cams also that route off the ENG sites(Soledad, Union Bank and Mt Miguel).

If you ever seethe KGTV UCSD camera is so bad that you could be fooled into thinking it's shooting a pretty starry night...

In reality that camera has so many lost pixals it just looks starry....even with cloudy,foggy skies.

• 2 weeks later...
Still in the A-star today... honestly, surprised they were flying today because of the clouds.

[ATTACH=full]2541[/ATTACH]

They stayed in El Cajon for the entire 30min flight. Too hazy for them. They must have circled Gillespie 7 times.

It's still a 206.

They've been using the A-Star on and off since they brought in that refurbished 206 a month ago.

I'm amazed that there's so much discussion about a helicopter. But seriously when will KFMB get their act together. I'm sure the other stations are not that pleased with all these screw ups.

It's not so much KFMB as it is Total Traffic Network and Welk. I don't know what the deal is with the replacement chopper, but they must not care since there seems to be a new issue almost every day.

In a related matter, Phil Konstantin announced that he will be retiring.

"Yes, it is true. I will be retiring in April. No, It's not an April Fool's Day prank, April 1st will be my last day in Chopper 8, and on San Diego's airways. After approx 26 years on radio and TV here in San Diego, I am calling it quits."

In a related matter, Phil Konstantin announced that he will be retiring.

"Yes, it is true. I will be retiring in April. No, It's not an April Fool's Day prank, April 1st will be my last day in Chopper 8, and on San Diego's airways. After approx 26 years on radio and TV here in San Diego, I am calling it quits."

Interesting. I wonder if they'll do away with the traffic reporter all together, or hire a replacement for Phil.

Interesting. I wonder if they'll do away with the traffic reporter all together, or hire a replacement for Phil.

Or go the pilot/reporter route if that is even still legal.

In a properly configured airship you can pull that off, but it's not real safe.

The money you save without Phil can go to keeping the A-star.

I would hire a hot looking "little person", that way they can add a few more gallons of gas. Who's gonna know since we will just see her from the waist up.

My best wishes to Phil in his retirement. Maybe he will join us here and share some of his insight and stories.

Hey Phil take some new pictures of both birds before you jam.

Or go the pilot/reporter route if that is even still legal.

In a properly configured airship you can pull that off, but it's not real safe.

The money you save without Phil can go to keeping the A-star.

I would hire a hot looking "little person", that way they can add a few more gallons of gas. Who's gonna know since we will just see her from the waist up.

My best wishes to Phil in his retirement. Maybe he will join us here and share some of his insight and stories.

Hey Phil take some new pictures of both birds before you jam.

He mentioned the position was open...

That being said, are they really spending a lot on payroll to pay for the chopper reporter's position?

And the only way you'll get to see that hot looking lady is if they start using the cockpit cam again...

He mentioned the position was open...

That being said, are they really spending a lot on payroll to pay for the chopper reporter's position?

And the only way you'll get to see that hot looking lady is if they start using the cockpit cam again...

You're right...

The current birds didn't get the cockpit cam option due to cost.

Why not just slap a gopro onto a condor from the zoo?

You're right...

The current birds didn't get the cockpit cam option due to cost.

Why not just slap a gopro onto a condor from the zoo?

They ditched the cockpit cam when KFMB went HD. They didn't upgrade the camera in the chopper until several years later. Either way, I can't imagine a cockpit cam being that expensive. If we're talking about worth/usefulness, then that's a whole other story...

Archived