KFMB's Helicopter

A3N

Welcome again...

The biggest question most of us have is...

Why not use the A-STAR fulltime?

Does TT decide or is it up to the subscribers as a collective to spend the extra money for the better performance and safety?

(disclaimer: I'm a Metro Alum L.A. back when it was MTC and Saperstien owned it...so I know "cheap"))

As far as I know, the level of service, types of equipment, amount of available flying hours, hours of operation, etc., etc., are all covered in the contract agreed on by all involved parties. So, if the "clients" wanted a different camera, helicopter, pilot or "talent", if would be up to them to renegotiate the contract. There are, at least, three groups in this deal: TT is one, the TV stations are one; and the helicopter provider is the third. They all have to work together to make sure all parties are satisfied.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My replacement is being trained. Management has told me not to mention whom it is until it is official. So, I will not confirm or deny previous posts.

And, if you haven't seen any pictures of me, I am very fluffy. :)

[ATTACH=full]2702[/ATTACH]

As long as we spelled her name right...

Hope you have a cool Aprils Fool joke ready cuz we will all be watching.

This is the rear seat of the AStar. It will be going back soon. I am not privy to any of the financial decisions. I do know an AStar is much more expensive to operate than a 206. TTWn and the stations negotiated a contract which covers levels of equipment and hours flown, etc. That guides everyone's decisions as to what equipment is used, and when. As far as I know, it is a contract signed by all, and it covers a specific period of time. Most have been two or three years in length, but I do not know how long this contract is for.

My replacement is being trained. Management has told me not to mention whom it is until it is official. So, I will not confirm or deny previous posts. The airborne job gets a bit more pay than the radio gigs. So, I doubt there will be any difficulty finding replacements among current TTWn -Metro-Clear Channel-iHeart employees.

I guess I could be talked out of retirement if the money was right. That being said, San Diego is only the 25th biggest market in the country. Most radio and TV ad revenues have been going down. I do not expect there to be more money for salaries in the future than there are now or were in the past. So, I doubt if anyone will be beating down my door to get me back on the air, regardless of my experience or expertise. That being said, they are most welcome to try. :)

And, if you haven't seen any pictures of me, I am very fluffy. :)

[ATTACH=full]2702[/ATTACH]

Thank for the reply. How do you like using the Cineflex camera versus the FLIR? On-Air, the picture looks so much crisper. Although, lately the picture has not been as crisp.

One question that I haven't found an answer to is what happened to National Helicopter Service? The old Chopper 8 is registered to them. Did they go out of business, did they sell their contract to Welk or was TTW's contract with National Helicopter up and signed on with Welk? Also, Do you know what happened to the old Chopper 8?

Sorry for asking so many questions.

Thank for the reply. How do you like using the Cineflex camera versus the FLIR? On-Air, the picture looks so much crisper. Although, lately the picture has not been as crisp.

One question that I haven't found an answer to is what happened to National Helicopter Service? The old Chopper 8 is registered to them. Did they go out of business, did they sell their contract to Welk or was TTW's contract with National Helicopter up and signed on with Welk? Also, Do you know what happened to the old Chopper 8?

TT moved to ACA after end of contract, as far as I know.

I tweeted / periscope'd with one of WCAU's SkyForce 10's photojournalist and they swapped out the FLIR camera that was initially installed for a CineFlex unit. I asked about the difference and the key thing was the stability and the ability to easily swap out cameras in the heads.

I was digging around FLIR's website a few months and their products seem to be based mainly based for police and military uses while CineFlex is more the media. I think FLIR has dropped most of their broadcast range.

I'm curious in San Diego who handles the downlinking of the live feed - is it one station or multiple on shifts? And who ultimately controls the copyright of the video or its uses? I read in DC WRC and WTTG handle the downlink on a morning/evening shift schedule, one person has inquired via a tweet to the photographer about purchasing footage and was told to contact WRC.

I didn't answer the camera question. The Cineflex has a better focus. That's better. It is not able to move very rapidly when it is zoomed in tight. That is a bad. The FLIR will be returning soon. TT owns that camera. The Cineflex is on loan.

I tweeted / periscope'd with one of WCAU's SkyForce 10's photojournalist and they swapped out the FLIR camera that was initially installed for a CineFlex unit. I asked about the difference and the key thing was the stability and the ability to easily swap out cameras in the heads.

I was digging around FLIR's website a few months and their products seem to be based mainly based for police and military uses while CineFlex is more the media. I think FLIR has dropped most of their broadcast range.

I'm curious in San Diego who handles the downlinking of the live feed - is it one station or multiple on shifts? And who ultimately controls the copyright of the video or its uses? I read in DC WRC and WTTG handle the downlink on a morning/evening shift schedule, one person has inquired via a tweet to the photographer about purchasing footage and was told to contact WRC.

I do not know.

I didn't answer the camera question. The Cineflex has a better focus. That's better. It is not able to move very rapidly when it is zoomed in tight. That is a bad. The FLIR will be returning soon. TT owns that camera. The Cineflex is on loan.

Well, that sucks. I hope that it works better this time around. The picture quality on the FLIR got really bad towards the end.

It's KFMB's microwave system that takes in the feed....then thru the "switch" to camzone who distributes the IPbased signals to the stations.

My previous licensing attempts were via Metro/TTN by KFMB referral. Metro did not make video available for licensing as of a few years ago. KFMB did not claim copyrights.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy S*&T

Chopper 8 actually flew in the rain today. They actually flew while there was yellow and green on the WX radar. Water drops on the lens and everything!

Unless it was faked like that moon landing.

Holy S*&T

Chopper 8 actually flew in the rain today. They actually flew while there was yellow and green on the WX radar. Water drops on the lens and everything!

Unless it was faked like that moon landing.

Just as rare as those bigfoot sightings. But, in reality, Chopper 8 needed a wash so that's why it was out in the rain...

It was in a hangar surrounded by green screen and used stock B-Roll footage LOL. I love how KPIX uses a fake chopper sound when they show B-Roll. At least mute it or use the inside cockpit high pitch buzzing to be more realistic. Just sayin.

It was in a hangar surrounded by green screen and used stock B-Roll footage LOL. I love how KPIX uses a fake chopper sound when they show B-Roll. At least mute it or use the inside cockpit high pitch buzzing to be more realistic. Just sayin.

Hey KBNT in SD dubs in a 50's era Bell 47 (mash) helicopter piston driven whirlybird.

But in a very lame defense I would point out that the Chopper 8 feed does not pass audio to the subscribers...just video.

Phil's new ride (no more cramped back seat and he's now the pilot) as he heads out on his tour of the Southwest.12936782_1343141655702962_9109979990114962692_n.jpg?oh=f9f05c143de161742906216bf6c1baa5&oe=57B279D7

But....

He will not drive in the rain, wind or snow.

And he only has enough gas for about 75 miles.

I hope his transmitter and IFB works.

Phil will be taking along some friends to save on expenses....

beverly-hillbillies.gif.9eaf27883ddb4872d4287fdd06635d3c.gif

Enjoy the trip Phil...and be sure to log those hours.

• 4 weeks later...
Saw what looked like Chopper 8 (The Bell) heading north to Pacoima around 7:30, passing over my house.

You may have noticed a nice water drop stain on the upper right corner of the picture/lens. That's from last month when they got all daring and flew in the rain.

The camera housing leaked, and word is there will be some sort of maintenance / switch out of the camera head and/or housing.

Probably do a annual lube, tune and brakes while they are up there also.

No time frame was stated and no word if the A-hole will be needed.

You may have noticed a nice water drop stain on the upper right corner of the picture/lens. That's from last month when they got all daring and flew in the rain.

The camera housing leaked, and word is there will be some sort of maintenance / switch out of the camera head and/or housing.

Probably do a annual lube, tune and brakes while they are up there also.

No time frame was stated and no word if the A-hole will be needed.

I'm guessing it will be out of commission for 3 weeks, and the A-star will be used sparingly... Chopper 8 is cursed, I tell ya.

Don't the FLIR cameras have easily user serviceable parts?

Depends on the model and parts availability...and the availability of a person to perform such task. The camera swap was already planned, but the water issue is a housing thing.

Not sure if that seal / gasket is an off the shelf item.

(I swear rkolsen don't send me a link showing a 3year old changing a 25mm "O"ring on a flir unit blindfolded)

(I swear rkolsen don't send me a link showing a 3year old changing a 25mm "O"ring on a flir unit blindfolded)

I imagine you already do. I hear the FLIR cameras (despite needing State Dept approval to export as its "military hardware") are made right next to the NBC Consumer Investigative Unite call center.

Archived