Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

Not all of them. I remember seeing a number of them that gave up calls that had nothing to do with UPN or the WB.

I still mourn the loss of "KBHK."

Despite that heavy cable rate there, it is still important to have an OTA signal so everyone (including the ones that that don't have cable) can watch NBC. I feel OTA comes first than cable, but it seems that Comcast is not too quick in finding an OTA placement. And that's a shame.

It benefits Comcast to get even those few OTA-only viewers in the Boston market onto the trains that run on their tracks.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It benefits Comcast to get even those few OTA-only viewers in the Boston market onto the trains that run on their tracks.

What if they don't want their cable service (or other MVPDs for that matter), yet they still want free OTA NBC? So if Comcast can't find an OTA signal, the viewers will be SOL? That's what I'm talking about.

Depends on the person. They might try to pull in an NBC station from a neighboring market, like how to my grandparents in Michigan, WWJ-TV effectively didn't exist. Or they might resort to unauthorized means of accessing NBC programming.

Depends on the person. They might try to pull in an NBC station from a neighboring market, like how to my grandparents in Michigan, WWJ-TV effectively didn't exist. Or they might resort to unauthorized means of accessing NBC programming.

My point is this. If Comcast said they're going to have an OTA channel for this new NBC Boston to fill the entire market, they need to find one stat. If they want to put the signal on WNEU, say so. They should've done all of this before making that announcement in January.

While they're trying to hurt Ansin, they're probably going to hurt themselves even more if they can't find an OTA signal to fill up an entire market. Everyday that past that they can't find a signal, they look even more foolish. Ansin should be laughing at them. I don't think most folks in the southern half are going up on their roofs and risk their lives hooking up an outdoor antenna, just to getting WJAR. And with some cord-cutters or cord-nevers, I doubt they'll spend a mint going to (or back to) Comcast.

Don't know if anyone else has noticed, or this has any connection whatsoever with the upcoming affiliate fracas, but NBC has moved its COZI network from WMFP 62.1 to WNEU 60.3. Comcast Cable apparently has no clue what is happening, because they're still calling 62.1 COZI,, but the listings are for a religious network. THe COZI website now lists their programs as being on 62.2, but a call to WMFP tells me that COZI is now actually on 60.3, and they were not aware that the listings were incorrect. When asked if Comcast would be carrying 60.3, the spokesperson told me it was "in the works," but had no definite time frame. Very strange. I haven't seen anything on any forums about this, not that COZI is one of the top-rated networks, but still....

While they're trying to hurt Ansin, they're probably going to hurt themselves even more if they can't find an OTA signal to fill up an entire market.

The real losers will be the children of the Boston area.

I have exclusive photos of generic free use sad children that may or may not be impacted.

sad4.jpg.139c236608abc29e32761d1d626f6c10.jpg

sad1.jpg.1f47c1b4d96d32cd7cf00a767a6b06f6.jpg

sad2.jpg.3de5098066c051c005b93592b646a804.jpg

sad3.jpg.ae6691d497988b1f183874cce8bf1657.jpg

My point is this. If Comcast said they're going to have an OTA channel for this new NBC Boston to fill the entire market, they need to find one stat. If they want to put the signal on WNEU, say so. They should've done all of this before making that announcement in January.
I don't think they ever said that there's going to be a signal that covers the entire market but rather an OTA in the market.

Somehow, I can hear WBZ, WFXT, and especially WCVB salivating at gaining some ex-WHDH viewers.

Are WHDH viewers going to abandon Channel 7 en masse just because of the loss of the NBC affiliation? If there is any effect from the debut of NBC Boston it will be felt by all stations (including, ironically, Comcast-owned NECN) and not just WHDH. Keep this in mind: the only thing WHDH has left post-NBC is its identity as The News Station, and to expect Ansin to sit idly by and let other stations pick off "his" viewers is naive in the extreme. They are the only station that will have 8P-10P free to counterprogram entertainment programming with more news as they see fit.

It may be too late for me to say this, but the Boston Hearld reported almost a month ago that NBCUniversal was considering acquiring WBPX from Ion Media Networks to serve as the Boston's new NBC O&O. It has not been confirmed on whether or not WNEU would pick up NBC programming on digital subchannel 60.1 and move Telemundo to a different subchannel.

Comcast getting their way by disenfranchising some OTA viewers in Boston has far worse implications on the industry and sets a damaging precedent for broadcasting as a whole. First it's Ed Ansin....then it could be other groups which are in a rapid state of consolidation...

The government is selling chunks of tv spectrum...

OTA is becoming a non-issue in more than just Boston.

The government is selling chunks of tv spectrum...

OTA is becoming a non-issue in more than just Boston.

Isn't it becoming a non-issue in the entire northeastern (new england) US region, and New York (as in the entire state, not just the city), most of all? Because I think that OTA is still an issue for some, considering that cable prices and the fact that they almost never come separately are ridiculous

I dunno...I seem to recall CW and My Network TV affiliates changing their call letters like it was going out of style back in 2006.

One of those was WWWB channel 55 who got MyNet and switched to WMYT. (SHOULD have been WMYC "My Charlotte."

What if they don't want their cable service (or other MVPDs for that matter), yet they still want free OTA NBC? So if Comcast can't find an OTA signal, the viewers will be SOL? That's what I'm talking about.

Or what about cordcutters who only have internet service but would like to receive NBC OTA rather than via Hulu or nbc.com?

Of course, someone who only watches one or two shows could simply buy them off of iTunes or Amazon...

Or what about cordcutters who only have internet service but would like to receive NBC OTA rather than via Hulu or nbc.com?

Of course, someone who only watches one or two shows could simply buy them off of iTunes or Amazon...

You want to buy your local news off iTunes or is Comcast going to by you Sling?

PlayStation Vue will have the local Stations included. if all goes through the NBC Boston station can be watched. subscriptions might cost more if in a select city. they might not include this.

And to think NBC could have had Channel 7 in Boston back in 1959....

From Wikipedia:

In 1959, RKO and NBC reached an agreement on what would have been the highest-priced license transfer in broadcasting history to that time. The deal would have seen RKO acquire NBC's WRC-AM-FM-TV in Washington, swap WNAC-AM-TV and WRKO-FM (the former WNAC-FM) in Boston to NBC for that company's WRCV-AM-TV in Philadelphia, and sell the WGMS stations in Washington to Crowell-Collier Broadcasting (as Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations at that time would not permit ownership of both the WRC stations and the WGMS stations). The deal was an attempt to resolve a controversy surrounding a 1956 swap of NBC and Westinghouse Broadcasting stations in Philadelphia and Cleveland. In 1965, the FCC declared the 1956 trade null and void, effectively reversing the swap, and denied the proposed license transfers on what would prove to be the ironic ground that NBC would enter the Boston market as the product of its dishonesty in the Philadelphia/Cleveland transaction.

NBC has been pulling shenanigans like this all the way back to General Sarnoff.

Somehow, I can hear WBZ, WFXT, and especially WCVB salivating at gaining some ex-WHDH viewers.

They are more likely laughing at Comcast. At present, the best case scenario for Comcast is a negligible change in NECN's ratings. The worst case scenario is WNEU failing to get any audience whatsoever.

If I were WFXT, I would be really concerned at WHDH in morning drive and at 10... only because of some of the recent changes instituted by Cox management.

NBC has been pulling shenanigans like this all the way back to General Sarnoff.

Look at the life of Major Edwin Armstrong and his lengthy legal battle with Sarnoff for the development of FM radio broadcasting. That tops everything else.

Just watch out for WHDH may just dump a bunch of older viewers, convicts and other undesirables outside the preferred demo.

Those other stations will be stuck with all those dead weight viewers.

Viewer Dumping... the ugly darkside of ratings.

Fidel Castro pulled the same stunt in the early 80's.

They are more likely laughing at Comcast. At present, the best case scenario for Comcast is a negligible change in NECN's ratings. The worst case scenario is WNEU failing to get any audience whatsoever.

If I were WFXT, I would be really concerned at WHDH in morning drive and at 10... only because of some of the recent changes instituted by Cox management.

and knowing how COX feels about FOX and Ansin about FOX... Could WHDH get the FOX affilation?

I know a lot will say there under contract until 2019 but all contract can be changed if you wave enough money at them. Right now, WHDH looks good at this point as NBC's attempt to move to what has been a series of errors by NBC.

Just watch out for WHDH may just dump a bunch of older viewers, convicts and other undesirables outside the preferred demo.

Those other stations will be stuck with all those dead weight viewers.

Viewer Dumping... the ugly darkside of ratings.

Fidel Castro pulled the same stunt in the early 80's.

What are you even talking about?

Archived