Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

Just watch out for WHDH may just dump a bunch of older viewers, convicts and other undesirables outside the preferred demo.

Those other stations will be stuck with all those dead weight viewers.

Viewer Dumping... the ugly darkside of ratings.

Fidel Castro pulled the same stunt in the early 80's.

What are you even talking about?

Umm, I'm sorry...are you new here?

Because if you haven't noticed, he usually posts satirical or even near-nonsensical posts that are still somehow related to the thread topic at hand. And they're usually really funny. The likes from many other posters prove it.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just watch out for WHDH may just dump a bunch of older viewers, convicts and other undesirables outside the preferred demo.

Those other stations will be stuck with all those dead weight viewers.

Viewer Dumping... the ugly darkside of ratings.

Fidel Castro pulled the same stunt in the early 80's.

What are you even talking about?

I think Eat's just saying that the viewers WHDH loses may not be the target demographic - it may raise their total viewership but not necessarily the demo.

The call sign is staying as WNEU. Few people pay attention to call signs anyway... even heritage calls like WCAU, WRC, WTVJ or WMAQ. WHDH viewers are far more apt to refer to the station as "7 NEWS" - not WHDH.

Hello, Myron. Respectfully, I did not say anything about WNEU changing its callsign.

and knowing how COX feels about FOX and Ansin about FOX... Could WHDH get the FOX affilation?

I know a lot will say there under contract until 2019 but all contract can be changed if you wave enough money at them. Right now, WHDH looks good at this point as NBC's attempt to move to what has been a series of errors by NBC.

Speaking of which... what's the update on the CW affiliation status? Is it really moving to WSBK in August or staying with Sunbeam?

I say August because, IIRC, the contract dated back to the initial Tribune deal in 2006.

Speaking of which... what's the update on the CW affiliation status? Is it really moving to WSBK in August or staying with Sunbeam?

We might be looking at a KTVK/KASW scenario here. WHDH would go independent while WLVI keeps The CW (if not sold in the auction).

and knowing how COX feels about FOX and Ansin about FOX... Could WHDH get the FOX affilation?

I know a lot will say there under contract until 2019 but all contract can be changed if you wave enough money at them. Right now, WHDH looks good at this point as NBC's attempt to move to what has been a series of errors by NBC.

How does Cox feel about Fox?

Umm, I'm sorry...are you new here?

Because if you haven't noticed, he usually posts satirical or even near-nonsensical posts that are still somehow related to the thread topic at hand. And they're usually really funny. The likes from many other posters prove it.

He doesn't make a lot of sense to me though.

Yeah, I tend not to make sense to a lot of people either because I didn't clarify myself the first time

I tend to spit-up and fondle baked goods.

My friends compare me to "Cousin It" from the Adams family.

How does Cox feel about Fox?

Let me make this clear: I have no intentions of reviving the infamous "Changes at WFXT" thread that damn near broke the forum.

But. I don't see any secretive troubles beyond Cox and Fox. The management team at WFXT presided over KTVU, and they have their own wants and desires for running WFXT... and that meant a near-total de-Fox-ification of the station. Probably the only thing hideous is the logo, but the O&O logo was not going to be retained.** If the long-term affiliation deal with WFXT ends for some reason or another, I will be truly shocked.

What should concern WFXT is that they are/have been implementing the KTVU formula onto the station, while WHDH will be the 7 News we know. Will a more-traditional and straight-laced WFXT hold their own against a more-aggressive and tabloid WHDH in mornings and at 10pm?

**WHBQ is still using the O&O logo as the O&O news set is still in use. It's a given that the logo will go away when the set does.

Let me make this clear: I have no intentions of reviving the infamous "Changes at WFXT" thread that damn near broke the forum.

But. I don't see any secretive troubles beyond Cox and Fox. The management team at WFXT presided over KTVU, and they have their own wants and desires for running WFXT... and that meant a near-total de-Fox-ification of the station. Probably the only thing hideous is the logo, but the O&O logo was not going to be retained.** If the long-term affiliation deal with WFXT ends for some reason or another, I will be truly shocked.

What should concern WFXT is that they are/have been implementing the KTVU formula onto the station, while WHDH will be the 7 News we know. Will a more-traditional and straight-laced WFXT hold their own against a more-aggressive and tabloid WHDH in mornings and at 10pm?

**WHBQ is still using the O&O logo as the O&O news set is still in use. It's a given that the logo will go away when the set does.

Mmm..the O&O news set already went away at WHBQ.

Mainly looking back to even KTVU days, Cox have tried to separate itself from FOX in branding. WHBQ has been anomaly as they actually kept most of FOX branding even the logo during their ownership. So even if they don't show it openly they don't have the most coziest of relationships with FOX.

Sunbeam on the other hand has shaped what we think of what FOX News is (Well not the Conservative part) the flash and style of how they do news was heavily shaped by WSVN in Miami. I could easily see a situation where FOX could switch to WHDH because of comfort with ownership there then WFXT.

Mainly looking back to even KTVU days, Cox have tried to separate itself from FOX in branding. WHBQ has been anomaly as they actually kept most of FOX branding even the logo during their ownership. So even if they don't show it openly they don't have the most coziest of relationships with FOX.

That is why in 1990 FOX used KCBA-35 in Salinas/ Santa Cruz/ Monterey as the initial test bed for the upcoming FOX branded local newscast development and the development of the FOX news network infrastructure.

Yes there were a few FOX stations in larger markets that had 10pm newscast already running, but FOX contributed money and ideas for all those other FOX markets.

The Nov 1990 book had KCBA-FOX News at 10pm at #1 in the very first book in late newscast....beating out KSBW-8 at 11pm. KCBA was the first of the FOX News "build-out"... with XETV-6 San Diego being the last in the decade long project in 1999.

Some of the people that came out of KCBA...

Craig Killborne

Alex Witt

Caroline Averdesian

Sandya Patal

Coleen Odagard

Padden: FCC Should Aid Ansin In NBC Fight

Former Fox and ABC network executive Preston Padden calls on the agency and Congress to pressure NBC to cancel plans to dump Ed Ansin's WHDH as its Boston affiliate so that it can launch its own O&O there at the end of this year. "If this 'experiment' is successful, it almost certainly will be repeated in other cities," Padden says.

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/judicial/283022-trouble-in-tv-land

I'm not sure how many more stations they'll do this at. They already cover 36.7% of the nation. The maximum coverage is 39%.

That is why in 1990 FOX used KCBA-35 in Salinas/ Santa Cruz/ Monterey as the initial test bed for the upcoming FOX branded local newscast development and the development of the FOX news network infrastructure.

Yes there were a few FOX stations in larger markets that had 10pm newscast already running, but FOX contributed money and ideas for all those other FOX markets.

Got any details about this - having trouble finding information about this.

I'm not sure how many more stations they'll do this at. They already cover 36.7% of the nation. The maximum coverage is 39%.

What do you want to know

I know about the KCBA part...but the cap stuff is beyond me.

Rupert and Rodger wanted every FOX affil to have a newscast at some point. The Idea was you needed to have an affilate/ news sharing/ feed structure in place. This was long before FNC but it was the eventual goal at the time.

FOX made it possible for KCBA to to move into giant new studio(s)...spend a ton of money on top of the line gear, people and there were no traditional rules to be followed.

KCBA was a lab for the FOX news affils as far as structure, cost, staffing etc.

KCBA/ Ackerley communications hired Former NBC News producer Paul Miller and former KNBC anchor Kiristie Wilde to put it all together. Right about the same time FOX established the west coast bureau in San Francisco (not L.A.) and hired former KMST reporter Claudia Cowan to staff the SF bureau.

KTVU was pretty much doing their own thing at the time and didn't have much interaction with KCBA. KCBA considered KTVU competition as they were on cable at the time. KCBA had informal arrangements with KGO,KPIX and KNTV to trade newstape on stories in the Monterey Bay area.

By 1995 KCBA had LMA'ed KMST...Paul and Kirstie had moved on...and the whole thing got adsorbed into KION-CBS-46.

KCBA News was killed off in 2013...much to the joy of KSBW.

Trading Miami for Boston? Wouldn't cash have to be kicked in to make it a fair trade? Why would Cox give up one of their two top-ten markets for a smaller one - especially considering that Cox had to give up a top-ten market to get WFXT in the first place?

Trading Boston for Miami makes no sense for either company. Boston is a top 10 market for Cox and WTVJ goes great with WCSV. I know Cox isn't happy about how they ended up with WFXT and NBC really wants to get into Boston, but this proposed trade doesn't make any logical sense.

What is worth noting is that NBC has no interest in physical property; they have studio space with NECN.

Throwing this all into stratospheric speculation, though. Were any of this to go down and nobody wanting the Fox facility: National Amusements (owners of CBS and Viacom) own the adjacent property now known as Legacy Place.

Harvard has had its eye on the WBZ complex for years. Could WBZ move into the Fox facility?

What is worth noting is that NBC has no interest in physical property; they have studio space with NECN.

Throwing this all into stratospheric speculation, though. Were any of this to go down and nobody wanting the Fox facility: National Amusements (owners of CBS and Viacom) own the adjacent property now known as Legacy Place.

Harvard has had its eye on the WBZ complex for years. Could WBZ move into the Fox facility?

I wonder if the former WSBK facility up the road from the WBZ facility where CBS keeps its FM stations can be expanded. That could be a viable replacement.

Archived