Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

At least a potential Channel 68 (WBPX) purchase in Boston would replicate of the coverage provided by WHDH.

Wherever "NBC Boston" ends up, it better be on some good real estate on Comcast. WNEU is currently on channel 53, and WBPX is on 19. Poor WFXT is on channel 25 while their "VHF" counterparts are on the same channels (2, 4, 5, and 7). NECN is on channel 6.

HSN is on 3, public access is on 8 & 9, EVINE (WWDP) is on 10, 11 is vacant, WLVI is on 12, and NESN is on 13. Others like WSBK and WBIN are in the mid-teens in "cable-land" while others are peppered in where there's space.

I'm assuming Comcast has gone digital there, so channel 11 may have been re-purposed for digital purposes (large blocks of channels elsewhere in the triple-digits). Something in "VHF-land" would be their best shot, and seeing as how it's an inside job, expect someone to get plucked out of "VHF-land" to make room for "NBC Boston".

Given the fact that WFXT and even WSBK are outside of "VHF-land" on the lineup, it's probably a good source of WFXT's troubles. Usually, top 4 stations all find their way in the "VHF" channel area. It's a relic of the analog days since channels 2-13 are identical in both the CATV and antenna mode, and those who didn't have cable ready TVs could still plug in a cable and get their local stations.

It's now a moot point since Comcast has abandoned analog cable and EVERYONE has to use a converter of some sort...even free QAM is now unavailable.

Cable channeling these days is ridiculous....how could anyone remember the three-digit channel number the station is assigned to? At least X1 allows auto-tuning from the original SD number to the HD counterpart...

Well, in reality, the SD and HD numbers should correspond with each other, which Comcast rarely does.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The more I read this article... I just can't comprehend it. The author even totally downplays the obvious endgame of NBC going to WNEU by having one of her "insiders" dismiss it outright.

Articles like this won't help the inevitable confusion in any way, and they'll exacerbate the angry calls to Sens. Warren and Markey and Rep. Frank, the last three pols you want to tick off.

The author in question is the person who a decade ago this month caused WLVI to get bought by Sunbeam. What was practically a souped up Speculatron post pushed someone to spend $110 million on a station.

Also, Barney Frank retired two terms ago. Most of the House delegation of the Boston DMA isn't that entrenched nowadays.

Well, in reality, the SD and HD numbers should correspond with each other, which Comcast rarely does.

At least my Comcast system does this by creating a "1000" HD lineup....i.e. adding 1000 to the channel number (channel 3 as 1003), in addition to burying most of the HD locals in the 200s.

DirecTV's numbering makes the most sense, by actually keeping the channels on their numbers (in most cases) and separate from the other channels in the traditional 2-69 space while everything else is in the triple digit tiers.

The author in question is the person who a decade ago this month caused WLVI to get bought by Sunbeam. What was practically a souped up Speculatron post pushed someone to spend $110 million on a station.

Also, Barney Frank retired two terms ago. Most of the House delegation of the Boston DMA isn't that entrenched nowadays.

That author is part of an inside job that caused all this, or at least thats the impression I get from that. I could be wrong, and I hope I am

At least a potential Channel 68 (WBPX) purchase in Boston would replicate of the coverage provided by WHDH.

Wherever "NBC Boston" ends up, it better be on some good real estate on Comcast. WNEU is currently on channel 53, and WBPX is on 19. Poor WFXT is on channel 25 while their "VHF" counterparts are on the same channels (2, 4, 5, and 7). NECN is on channel 6.

HSN is on 3, public access is on 8 & 9, EVINE (WWDP) is on 10, 11 is vacant, WLVI is on 12, and NESN is on 13. Others like WSBK and WBIN are in the mid-teens in "cable-land" while others are peppered in where there's space.

What city/town are you in? Most communities in the Boston area have WNEU on channels 19/815 (SD/HD), WBPX on channels 15/803, WFXT on channels 13/806. NESN, meanwhile, is on Channels 51/851. I don't know why NESN would be on channel 13 for you.

I'm assuming Comcast has gone digital there, so channel 11 may have been re-purposed for digital purposes (large blocks of channels elsewhere in the triple-digits). Something in "VHF-land" would be their best shot, and seeing as how it's an inside job, expect someone to get plucked out of "VHF-land" to make room for "NBC Boston".

Actually, the channel numbers are "virtual", and many channel numbers map to the same frequency that a single analog channel would occupy. Channel 11 used to be WENH in areas north of Boston. Comcast dropped this station in Massachusetts communities in 2012, but did not fill that dial slot.

Given the fact that WFXT and even WSBK are outside of "VHF-land" on the lineup, it's probably a good source of WFXT's troubles. Usually, top 4 stations all find their way in the "VHF" channel area. It's a relic of the analog days since channels 2-13 are identical in both the CATV and antenna mode, and those who didn't have cable ready TVs could still plug in a cable and get their local stations.

It's now a moot point since Comcast has abandoned analog cable and EVERYONE has to use a converter of some sort...even free QAM is now unavailable.

Cable channeling these days is ridiculous....how could anyone remember the three-digit channel number the station is assigned to? At least X1 allows auto-tuning from the original SD number to the HD counterpart...

Most over-the-air signals are UHF now, since the 2009 switch to digital. I still don't understand why HSN gets a single-digit dial spot while WFXT is in the double-digits. Channel 3 used to be CN8, which should have been on cable channel 8. When that station went dead, Comcast should have moved WFXT to that dial spot, lumping the 4 major broadcast networks & NECN in the channels 4-8 range. It gets even worse when you have HD channels in the 800s, with no rhyme or reason to it. At least the X1 boxes can "auto-tune" to HD, but if you have the DVR service, you still have to set it to a channel in the 800s if you want to record in HD. Time Warner Cable figured out a way where digital cable channels 2-99 map to the HD signal, I don't know why other cable providers haven't done the same.

Ummmmmmmm....Those are all SD versions of the channels. I would think most viewers watch the HD versions these days. (Are there any stats about that?)

Of course, the numbers aren't even the same across all Comcast systems. Where I am in southern NH, WNEU is on 14/716, WPXG (satellite of WBPX) is on 9/701, NECN is on 19/710, WLVI is on 10/708, WSBK is on 12/714, WFXT is on 25/706, WBIN is on 6/703, and I don't care about the home shopping channels because this is 2016 and we have the Internet. Oh, and 2/702 and 11/711 are NH Public Television, but their program schedules are basically identical to WGBH and WGBX, respectively.

Now there's a smart idea. In fact, I've always thought the HD channel numbers should be invisible to viewers, with cable boxes being smart enough to know whether to provide the SD or HD version of a channel based on channel availability and which port a TV is plugged in to. If our cable boxes could do that, my parents wouldn't have had to learn a whole new set of channel numbers when they got their first HD TV a few years ago. The box should take care of it automatically.

This is all speculation, but my guess is that NBC Boston (regardless of the station) will wind up on Comcast channels 6/806. NECN is currently on SD channel 6 and Fox/WFXT is currently on HD Channel 806 (see below for more). Comcast will move NECN to another channel number of their choice and heavily promote that channel on the NBC Boston station. They will want a dial position adjacent to the incumbent CBS and ABC stations.

The best case scenario is that NBC buys WFXT or trades it with Cox for one of its smaller O&O's (say, Miami and/or San Diego). OTA viewers south of Boston will be able to watch this station, Cox gets out of a ratings crisis, and WHDH can affiliate with Fox and not worry about revenue loss.

That author is part of an inside job that caused all this, or at least thats the impression I get from that. I could be wrong, and I hope I am

Gayle Fee and the Inside Track are basically gossip. Most people don't take them seriously unless your name is a) Edmund and b) you haven't lived in Massachusetts in decades.

As much as the Track is trolling posing as journalism, I can't help but think that Ed is a real-life troll himself given his actions and how he seems willing to lose hundreds of millions out of his own self-righteousness now after 30 years of having a chip on his shoulder with pretty much everyone on the media end. I seriously can't think of anyone who would take his side on anything as if we're supposed to pity a detached old billionaire with a million grudges.

At least my Comcast system does this by creating a "1000" HD lineup....i.e. adding 1000 to the channel number (channel 3 as 1003), in addition to burying most of the HD locals in the 200s.

DirecTV's numbering makes the most sense, by actually keeping the channels on their numbers (in most cases) and separate from the other channels in the traditional 2-69 space while everything else is in the triple digit tiers.

I have Optimum in the NY area which is the same as DirecTV, no special HD channels, Channel 4 is Channel 4. Same with lousy TWC. FiOS will map you to the HD equivalent - meaning if you press 4 it goes to 604 or whatever their HD channel is. Not the same but helps in convenience. Kind of lousy Comcast is still in the old school. Does that include their X1 box?

I wonder what spot Dish and Directv will give the NBC main channel. It's probably either going to be 59, 61, or even 34.

What do they do in San Diego? For years, KNSD was over the air Ch. 39 but used their predominant cable spot as 7. They used to brand themselves NBC 7/39, then droped the 39 and now just do NBC San Diego. It is probably a clue as to what could happen if NBC Boston ends up on a UHF over the air station but negotiates (common owner but still need to negotiate channel spot) a low cable spot. I would doubt they would ask for 10, causing confusion with NBC 10 WJAR which is seen in the southern part of the market. The thing with DirecTV is that Channels 1-99 are primarily local channels, so there would only be 7 or 8 of those in total, giving them a low low channel number. Most DirecTV programming beyond VOD begins on channel 201.

What do they do in San Diego? For years, KNSD was over the air Ch. 39 but used their predominant cable spot as 7. They used to brand themselves NBC 7/39, then droped the 39 and now just do NBC San Diego. It is probably a clue as to what could happen if NBC Boston ends up on a UHF over the air station but negotiates (common owner but still need to negotiate channel spot) a low cable spot. I would doubt they would ask for 10, causing confusion with NBC 10 WJAR which is seen in the southern part of the market. The thing with DirecTV is that Channels 1-99 are primarily local channels, so there would only be 7 or 8 of those in total, giving them a low low channel number. Most DirecTV programming beyond VOD begins on channel 201.

(Currently branded as NBC 7 San Diego)

39 on Dish AND Directv

Here on Aquatica Cable ( I steal it from Sea World) the channel for KNSD is blurp de blurp (39)....KUSI is on Gug De Glug (51). KTTY is on the channel that people make nasty with. (69)

Comcast's refusal to even use, say, 1xxx for HD is insidious. Whenever I go to Chicago, it's like number aerobics all over again. 2 is 188, 37 is 200, and...well, I even start forgetting.

That's why, even with fewer channels (like the vast majority of subchannels), I'm more than satisfied with my Uverse package.

Here on Aquatica Cable ( I steal it from Sea World) the channel for KNSD is blurp de blurp (39)....KUSI is on Gug De Glug (51). KTTY is on the channel that people make nasty with. (69)

What channel is Discovery? I bet you sharks just love to watch Shark Week.

Once channels got into the triple digits, thankfully the on-screen guide came into existence. Channel-surfing became a thing of the past and was replaced by guide-surfing.

I would hope that if NBC squanders the broadcast end, it would be time to offer an OTT version of "NBC Boston". It could be the new model of television as we know it.

I would hope that if NBC squanders the broadcast end, it would be time to offer an OTT version of "NBC Boston". It could be the new model of television as we know it.

I'm not 100% sure that Comcast would want to do that, seeing as how that would totally fly in the face of a normal cable company's business model. BUT it would save them a lot of hassle and PR flack.

In addition, promoting an OTT version would give "NBC Boston" immediate attention and visibility.

It's entirely possible.

Comcast (and other companies) just don't want to do it so they can keep the system as it is. Sooner or later, the cord cutters, shavers and the occasional "nevers" are going to catch up to them.

That's the same conclusion I got to earlier

It's entirely possible.

Comcast (and other companies) just don't want to do it so they can keep the system as it is. Sooner or later, the cord cutters, shavers and the occasional "nevers" are going to catch up to them.

As in "return to having cable" or "be so numerous that Comcast has to do something"?

Archived