Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

Earth to Ed Ansin....Earth to Ed Ansin....The CW is right there...Shift it and align the 'LVI programming inventory with it.

Not just the CW... how much of WLVI's remaining programming inventory will be poached and raided by the competition (and, to a lesser extent, WHDH)?

I just can't imagine WLVI surviving in its current state by this time next year.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's how to do it: Lease a subchannel from WFXT or WCVB.

I doubt that CBS would do it, and the rest of the channels are about 300 to 500 kilowatts so their signal probably isn't as good as those two.

I remember reading about the possibility of leasing subchannels to existing broadcasters, particularly in the wake of the spectrum auction (or future auctions). Map the leased subchannel as 60.3 and boom, problem solved. A win-win for everyone.

The only question I have is (and it's more of an engineering geek question) are there any nearby stations also operating with a PSIP mapped out to 60?

I remember reading about the possibility of leasing subchannels to existing broadcasters, particularly in the wake of the spectrum auction (or future auctions). Map the leased subchannel as 60.3 and boom, problem solved. A win-win for everyone.

The only question I have is (and it's more of an engineering geek question) are there any nearby stations also operating with a PSIP mapped out to 60?

I think the closest 60 to anywhere would be the Virginia end of the Ion simulcast serving DC.

I wonder if one can buy or if a noncommercial station make a sizable donation to do a PSIP swap with another broadcaster. I have a couple of ideas to work with if it is possible.

The Reddit thread of this had a line someone said that is fitting: "Ansin's been around long enough to see the top of the market for local programming, and he's just outliving the era his company was built for"

This is why WHDH will fail where WSVN succeeded. TV has changed a lot in 28 years and Sunbeam has become an aberration of sorts where one person runs the whole show. What was ingenious in 1989 will be just arrogant in 2017 especially with such ideas as Fox being a non-starter due to their wanting branding. Someone one has to know when things are not in their favor.

Guest Former Member 207
Hold everything, people. A lawyer for WHDH told the Boston Business Journal that their fight with the Peacock is not over, although he acknowledged that time is running out.

It...is...still...possible...that...WHDH...could...stay...with...NBC...

That makes no sense. WMUR's transmitter is in the same place as WNEU's.

True enough about location, but WMUR has better signal reach than WNEU (in fact, it nearly duplicates WCVB's coverage area). WMUR's signal gets almost as far south as the Rhode Island-Massachusetts border; WNEU barely goes south of Worcester and Framingham. That's why also used WMUR piggybacking off of WCVB's signal as a solution (and vice-versa), to cover any affected areas.

Then will WLVI become a MyNet affiliate if that happens?

I think it'd probably become either speculation bait or go out via the FCC's spectrum auction (or whatever it's called), freeing Ansin to consolidate all operations and programming onto WHDH.

I think it'd probably become either speculation bait or go out via the FCC's spectrum auction (or whatever it's called), freeing Ansin to consolidate all operations and programming onto WHDH.

According to this Boston Globe article from January, Ansin is planning to sell WLVI's spectrum in the auction and channel share with WHDH. No idea what's going to happen with the CW affiliation.

WHDH’s owner, Ed Ansin, whose Sunbeam Television also owns WLVI-TV (Channel 56), has said that he wants to sell WLVI-TV’s frequency to the FCC, which values it as high as $452 million. Ansin bought the station for $113.7 million in 2006. He has said he would use WHDH’s frequency to transmit both stations’ signals.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2016/01/10/local-broadcasters-could-make-hundreds-millions-fcc-auction/xKkgnHeNiHwZHTjwtlGGPN/story.html

Would The CW want to be on at 9-11 in a major market?

Some CW's did this. St. Louis did. When the Fox affiliate took over control of the CW channel, they moved the news from 9 to 7 (eliminating two newscasts at the same time) and delayed CW programming one hour. So it can happen.

True enough about location, but WMUR has better signal reach than WNEU (in fact, it nearly duplicates WCVB's coverage area). WMUR's signal gets almost as far south as the Rhode Island-Massachusetts border; WNEU barely goes south of Worcester and Framingham. That's why also used WMUR piggybacking off of WCVB's signal as a solution (and vice-versa), to cover any affected areas.

WMUR does not even reach Worcester.

No. CSN has the rights to Revolution soccer and Celtics basketball; the C's even have a revenue-sharing arrangement with CSN. NESN is owned by both the Red Sox and the Bruins. Patriots preseason football has a long-term deal with WBZ.

would high school or minor league sports work? The MNTV station here airs those

It should be interesting to see if CBS gets nervous and decides to pull the affiliation and put it on WSBK.

Wouldn't CBS have made that move well beforehand? ESPECIALLY with the fall TV season approaching and with WLVI's ten-year affiliation contract expiring shortly.

That nothing has been said about the fate of the CW in Boston is head-scratching.

Then will WLVI become a MyNet affiliate if that happens?

Seriously. No one cares about MyTV. Not even Fox. Those rerun blocks could be run from 1a-3a on a CW-affiliated WSBK and the difference would be negligible.

If CBS pulls the CW off of WLVI, then Sunbeam will immediately shut down WLVI and consolidate programming inventory onto WHDH. Nothing more to it. (Make no mistake, WLVI is going away anyway; this only hastens the demise.)

87 friggin' hours??? I guess I can't complain about Chicago's soon-to-be indie, anymore.

CHCH in Hamilton ON had about 83 hours per week (the vast majority on the weekdays; it was all-news from 4am to 7pm).

I say HAD because last December, CHCH's owners declared bankruptcy, fired the majority of reporters/anchors, cancelled all of the rolling news blocks and set up a different shell company to run the station... now they only run 20 hours of news on weekdays.

Now, most of the Tribune stations lead the pack with overall news output per week... especially WGN-TV, WJW and WXIN/WTTV. WJW has close to 67 hours per week.

Saw this on Facebook this evening from a gentleman who works in television and is at the Rio Games.....

"What I am hearing in Rio is the NBC/Hearst deal is very close to reality. Hearst would swap WCVB to NBC in exchange for San Diego and Hartford and also would make WMUR and WMTW NBC's affiliates. Other markets are involved as well but Hearst in recent years has tended to affiliate with NBC instead of ABC. Gracie this would also mean KMBC becoming the Kansas City affiliate.

That would be crushing to Portland, Maine's WCSH which has one of the original NBC chime boxes in their lobby.

A major part of the deal is Hearst selling their 20% ownership of ESPN to Disney in return of making all the Hearst ABC stations NBC.

I am hearing this from the Hearst people down here."

CHCH in Hamilton ON had about 83 hours per week (the vast majority on the weekdays; it was all-news from 4am to 7pm).

I say HAD because last December, CHCH's owners declared bankruptcy, fired the majority of reporters/anchors, cancelled all of the rolling news blocks and set up a different shell company to run the station... now they only run 20 hours of news on weekdays.

Now, most of the Tribune stations lead the pack with overall news output per week... especially WGN-TV, WJW and WXIN/WTTV. WJW has close to 67 hours per week.

With another 2 hours likely to be added to each weekend morning this fall, 'GN would top out at 67.5.

Saw this on Facebook this evening from a gentleman who works in television and is at the Rio Games.....

"What I am hearing in Rio is the NBC/Hearst deal is very close to reality. Hearst would swap WCVB to NBC in exchange for San Diego and Hartford and also would make WMUR and WMTW NBC's affiliates. Other markets are involved as well but Hearst in recent years has tended to affiliate with NBC instead of ABC. Gracie this would also mean KMBC becoming the Kansas City affiliate.

That would be crushing to Portland, Maine's WCSH which has one of the original NBC chime boxes in their lobby.

A major part of the deal is Hearst selling their 20% ownership of ESPN to Disney in return of making all the Hearst ABC stations NBC.

I am hearing this from the Hearst people down here."

Who then would go ABC in Boston? After all this I so could see Ed doing anything to not have the meatball grafted to the 7.

Archived