Boston TV crisis: WHDH and WNEU

TheRolyPoly

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It'll be interesting not only where NBC ends up (WNEU? Somewhere else?) but how 'HDH fairs as an independent. I know the article mentioned adding more news coverage, but what else? No way they can fill all that space with news.

I also wonder how long that business model will be sustainable for them. Not only will they be retaining the employees they have now, they're also adding personnel as the article mentions. I assume initially they'll be able to accommodate that staffing level, but I wonder for how long. One would think that viewers will inevitably begin to drift away from WHDH when they have very little in terms of programming to attract viewers.

It'll be interesting not only where NBC ends up (WNEU? Somewhere else?) but how 'HDH fairs as an independent. I know the article mentioned adding more news coverage, but what else? No way they can fill all that space with news.
They kind of already did with WSVN

I don't think the FCC has any rules requiring the broadcast networks to be over the air.
Well, the WB network, UPN, the CW (early on anyway), and Fox up until 2006, and all have been broadcast in smaller markets on cable and even ABC was considering going cable-only 2 years ago

I...really, really like this idea, in particular for WCVB. And I could see corporate supporting it, too--Hearst is one of the largest NBC affil owners, after all. I also don't think there's much risk to CVB's position in the market doing so, either--at this point it needs to be conceded that wherever NBC Boston ends up, unless it's on a proper signal, it's not going to be competitive for a good while. It only makes Hearst more money.

This at least buys NBC some time until they can get a proper signal or if there's some sort of FCC/government dispute. But of course I'm sure Comcast/NBC would prefer everyone in New England pay for Xfinity.

It's win-win, if you ask me, except for degradation of the OTA signal, but I think they can squeeze 720p and 1080i on the same channel. It wouldn't matter with cable viewers because they can allocate full bandwidth. NBC doesn't have to sink $200 million for a full market signal, not yet anyway. Hearst can get some pretty big lease payments from NBC based on the $200 million they don't have to spend. Just pulling some numbers out of my behind, but 8% of $200 million is $16 million. That's a fairly hefty increase in revenue from leasing a channel to NBC to rebroadcast WNEU ... Far better than they can do with MeTV or any of the other subchannels.

Guest Former Member 207
It's win-win, if you ask me, except for degradation of the OTA signal, but I think they can squeeze 720p and 1080i on the same channel. It wouldn't matter with cable viewers because they can allocate full bandwidth. NBC doesn't have to sink $200 million for a full market signal, not yet anyway. Hearst can get some pretty big lease payments from NBC based on the $200 million they don't have to spend. Just pulling some numbers out of my behind, but 8% of $200 million is $16 million. That's a fairly hefty increase in revenue from leasing a channel to NBC to rebroadcast WNEU ... Far better than they can do with MeTV or any of the other subchannels.

I've been of the feeling since this whole thing started that NBC should have talked with Hearst about affiliating with WMUR, and re-broadcast their signal (in full HD) on WCVB's second subchannel (and vice-versa with WCVB on WMUR's second subchannel). Shift Me-TV to the third subchannel of the respective station.

WCVB: 5.1 ABC, 5.3 MeTV, 9.2 (re-map) NBC

WMUR: 9.1 NBC, 9.3 MeTV, 5.2 (re-map) ABC

This was no surprise. All Ansin was doing was burning a whole lot of money, appealing on something he knew he had no chance on winning.

I also wonder how long that business model will be sustainable for them. Not only will they be retaining the employees they have now, they're also adding personnel as the article mentions. I assume initially they'll be able to accommodate that staffing level, but I wonder for how long. One would think that viewers will inevitably begin to drift away from WHDH when they have very little in terms of programming to attract viewers.

I do agree. They can't just rely on expanding on their news footprint, just to thrive post-NBC. But Ansin is not known for acquiring lucrative syndicated programming (unlike its competitors, look at 'SVN's lineup).

I've been of the feeling since this whole thing started that NBC should have talked with Hearst about affiliating with WMUR, and re-broadcast their signal (in full HD) on WCVB's second subchannel (and vice-versa with WCVB on WMUR's second subchannel). Shift Me-TV to the third subchannel of the respective station.

While Hearst has a longstanding relationship with NBC Universal, I don't see what WCVB stands to gain from enabling a news competitor in one of its own markets.

87 friggin' hours??? I guess I can't complain about Chicago's soon-to-be indie, anymore.
Now that I consider that Ansin managed to make a news intensive station in Miami, I guess I cant really complain much either, not that we could do anything about it of course

Not sure how they get up to 87 hours of news. Based on the article, there will be 12 hours of news each weekday and 7 hours of news each on Saturday and Sunday. That comes up to 74 hours. That's still more than any other station in the US I believe, but still way less than 87. Did I miss anything?

Summary:

- 7 News Today in New England is adding another two hours on weekdays from 7:00-9:00am.

- new 6:30pm newscast being added, 7 nights a week.

- the 7:00pm newscast expands to weekends as well.

- new hour-long 9:00pm newscast, 7 nights a week.

- the 10:00pm newscast is simulcast with WLVI 56 and will probably do so for the time being.

- the 6:00am hour on Saturdays moves to 8:00am.

- the 7:30am half-hour on Sundays moves to 10:30am and adds an 8:00am hour.

I'll report this on my blog shortly.

Hold everything, people. A lawyer for WHDH told the Boston Business Journal that their fight with the Peacock is not over, although he acknowledged that time is running out.

It...is...still...possible...that...WHDH...could...stay...with...NBC...

That makes no sense. WMUR's transmitter is in the same place as WNEU's.

Another chapter in this mellow TV soap opera drama of "As The Ansin Turns".

I prefer "The Wreck of the Edmund Ansin". And if this makes it to air, it will be a wreck indeed.

At least that when the closest parallel to the future WHDH/WLVI arrangement, KTVK/KASW, was a thing it had programming people wanted to watch and people in charge with a clue.

Most experts said the same thing about WSVN in 1988, that running it as a news-intensive independent (and nominal Fox affiliate) would be a ratings and financial disaster.

Ed Ansin obviously was emboldened by that level of vindication and is confident he can do it again with WHDH... regardless of how vastly different the stakes are.

Archived