WNBC to launch 4pm Newscast (Report)

B2r4a6n

That's the day I stop watching WNBC. My guess is Rob will be Chuck's replacement and Natalie will take over for Sibila at 11 who is only a year younger then David. Sibila I can see doing the 4 and 6 pm newscast and Rob and Natalie doing 5 and 11. Shiba might be headed to the network.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They do a 7pm newscast on wnbc since when and where?

On Cozi TV (WNBC 4.2) and according to Wikipedia, it started on October 15th, 2007 on WNBC 4.1 as a half-hour newscast at 7:00pm. It wasn't until March 9th, 2009 when the newscast was moved to Cozi TV (New York Nonstop as it was known back then) and expanded to a full hour.

On Cozi TV (WNBC 4.2) and according to Wikipedia, it started on October 15th, 2007 on WNBC 4.1 as a half-hour newscast at 7:00pm. It wasn't until March 9th, 2009 when the newscast was moved to Cozi TV (New York Nonstop as it was known back then) and expanded to a full hour.

The 7:00 PM newscast actually started on WNBC as "New York Nightly News w/Chuck Scarborough" when they first canceled the 5:00 PM show and Sue Simmons switched to 6:00 & 11:00. It later moved to NY Nonstop when the 5:00 PM news returned.

I think we can all agree Rob Schmitt would be awful as a lead anchor. Plus, would be really want to give his party boy lifestyle up to do the 6&11 5 nights a week? He'd have to give up posting Instagram pics with him and the "bros" or flying to LA and Miami twice a month.

I think we can all agree Rob Schmitt would be awful as a lead anchor. Plus, would be really want to give his party boy lifestyle up to do the 6&11 5 nights a week? He'd have to give up posting Instagram pics with him and the "bros" or flying to LA and Miami twice a month.

Power, money and prestige comes first. He should never have been hired in the first place.

Who we think is good or horrible differs from what the stations think is good or horrible. If WNBC didn't like Rob they would've never hired him and remember these people audition to get the job it isn't just handed to someone so WNBC liked Rob.

I should point out however that I do know for a fact that wnbc management is very big on Gus Rosendale, hence why they didn't renew Contessa Brewers contract so Gus could anchor the weekend morning news...there was even an interview with Sue Simmons done a couple of years ago in which she also said that they like Gus...so while we don't know who they'll pick for this, I would put my money on Gus before Rob.

The thing with television is that just because you are in a certain spot it doesn't mean you're getting promoted. It matters who works the best with the team that's already there. Who is going to bring in the ratings. Look at WABC, when Steve Bartlestien was let go Everyone had there money on Phil Lipof or Joe Torres, But Ken worked the best and he got it. Nothing is garunteed

The thing with television is that just because you are in a certain spot it doesn't mean you're getting promoted. It matters who works the best with the team that's already there. Who is going to bring in the ratings. Look at WABC, when Steve Bartlestien was let go Everyone had there money on Phil Lipof or Joe Torres, But Ken worked the best and he got it. Nothing is garunteed

Perfect example, I remember most of the viewers thinking that Phil or or Joe were a look for that spot. That's not always how it works

• 1 month later...
I'd want rob to get the AX

Only way I can see someone getting cut is if they give Sibila/Chuck the entire 5 pm hour. Morning teams anchor 2 1/2 hours plus the half hour updates during the national morning shows so the primary evening teams can to. Otherwise there will be at least 3? Different teams for the afternoon/evening broadcasts.

• 1 month later...
Its now official:

Natalie Pasquarella & Stefan Holt @ 4:00

Sibila Vargas & David Ushery @ 5:00

Natalie Pasquarella & Chuck Scarborough @ 6:00

Chuck & Sibila continue @ 11:00

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wnbc-announces-anchor-change-at-6-pm-team-for-new-4-pm/167560

I had a feeling they were gonna promote from within happy to see that also happy to see the 5 pm revert back to a single team for the full hour.

Don't think they wanna mess with the current 6 pm team of Chuck and Sibila so more then likely Shiba and David will take on the entire 5 pm newscast, Chuck & Sibila at 4 in a addition to 6 & 11. Janice once again does 5, 6 & 11 with Dave Price taking on the 4 pm. Shiba & Rob/David will continue as noon anchors.

I've said this before and I'll say it again the only changes that more then likely will happen is Shiba & David taking the entire 5 pm hour with Sibila & Chuck taking on the 4 pm in addition to 6 & 11 pm. If WNBC wanted Shiba & David to do the 6 pm then they would've pulled Sibila & Chuck off the 6 pm and gave them entire 5 pm not just a measly 30 minutes at 5. Let's not forget Chuck has been the face of the 6 pm newscast for much of his career at WNBC except for maybe a few years during the time he was anchoring NY Nightly News.

Noon : Shiba & Rob

4: Sibila & Chuck

5: Shiba & David

6: Sibila & Chuck

11: Sibila & Chuck.

Never claimed to be right but as I said before WNBC more then likely doesn't want to mess with the 6 pm team. The 5 pm will more then likely see the biggest changes with either a completely new pair taking on the 4 or Sibila taking on the 4 with another current WNBCer (not Chuck Scarborough)

I am staying with realistic possibilities which is keeping Chuck & Sibila the face of the 6 & 11 pm shows with Shiba and David taking on the entire 5 pm show. Everyone else was posting what they would like to see so why not join in. And if they wanted to put Shiba & David at 6 don't you think they would've given Sibila & Chuck the entire 5 pm hour by now and not just the first 30 minutes?

I just wanted to point out for the record that WNBC did indeed mess with the 6pm team.

Its now official:

Natalie Pasquarella & Stefan Holt @ 4:00

Sibila Vargas & David Ushery @ 5:00

Natalie Pasquarella & Chuck Scarborough @ 6:00

Chuck & Sibila continue @ 11:00

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/wnbc-announces-anchor-change-at-6-pm-team-for-new-4-pm/167560

I wonder what this means for noon and weekends. Maybe Michael & Darlene take on the noon (with a possible time slot move to 11am?). Move Rob Schmitt and Kerry Barrett to weekend evenings?

Also this new line-up sets up very nicely for when Chuck retires. David takes over at 11pm, with Stefan taking over at 6pm.

I wonder what this means for noon and weekends. Maybe Michael & Darlene take on the noon (with a possible time slot move to 11am?). Move Rob Schmitt and Kerry Barrett to weekend evenings?

Also this new line-up sets up very nicely for when Chuck retires. David takes over at 11pm, with Stefan taking over at 6pm.

They didn't mention anything about noon or weekends so assume everything will remain as is tho they could give David the noon 5 days a week and have Kerry Barrett join him.

They didn't mention anything about noon or weekends so assume everything will remain as is tho they could give David the noon 5 days a week and have Kerry Barrett join him.

It can't remain the same on weekends as Natalie is currently the weekend evening anchor along with Rob (although I'm not sure as David was also weekend anchor until Tom left and there was no formal announcement that Rob was taking over for David when he moved to 5:30 weekdays). So there is likely to be some changes. As for the noon, there seems to be no consistency. Last week, Kerry anchored solo, today David was on, but Rob is the official noon anchor, although was reduced to three days when the weekend responsibilities were added to his schedule.

It can't remain the same on weekends as Natalie is currently the weekend evening anchor along with Rob (although I'm not sure as David was also weekend anchor until Tom left and there was no formal announcement that Rob was taking over for David when he moved to 5:30 weekdays). So there is likely to be some changes. As for the noon, there seems to be no consistency. Last week, Kerry anchored solo, today David was on, but Rob is the official noon anchor, although was reduced to three days when the weekend responsibilities were added to his schedule.

There hasn't been any consistency with the noon for a while now. But was just saying wouldn't it make more sense to have a stable team at noon. David was my thought as he could get it 5 days a week and yes I know Rob is the official noon Anchor tho it seems he's also the official weekend anchor this way it would do away with the split day teams etc. You also mentioned the possibility of Darlene & Michael taking on the noon show but would they want to take on the extra workload? In any case I'd expect more changes to be announced in the future mainly noon and weekends.

Archived