ABC wants more creative control over Oscars

mvcg66b3r

Negotiations for ABC to extend its license agreement for the annual Oscar telecast are underway, but there’s a sticking point: ABC wants more creative input.

ABC’s deal with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences already runs through 2020, but the two sides have been in talks for some time about an extension. A long-term deal would provide stability for the Academy as it looks to take on debt to help finance its ambitious Hollywood museum project, set to open in 2018.

Given the ratings issues with recent Oscarcasts, ABC has a much stronger argument to make at the bargaining table. Sunday’s 88th annual Academy Awards brought in the lowest ratings in eight years, a disappointment for Hollywood’s glitziest awards gala.

Under the terms of the contract, the Academy retains the rights to produce the show. That means AMPAS officials pick the producers, the host and set the tone for the overall production.

The network has always wanted more power, and now declining ratings strengthens its demand for a seat at the table when it comes to the show itself. The push is seen as coming from Ben Sherwood and the top ranks of ABC. (The Academy and ABC declined comment on ongoing negotiations.)

On Sunday, host Chris Rock drew generally positive reviews for attacking the Oscars’ diversity crisis with biting jokes. But the overall production of the show was seen as lackluster, given the industry it celebrates. With the diversity issue adding to the pressure, AMPAS is likely to be in a mood to cut a deal.

https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/abc-academy-oscars-deal-renegotiations-oscars-2016-1201718452/

With the weak ratings, do you think ABC will offer makegoods to advertisers?

https://variety.com/2016/tv/news/abc-academy-oscars-deal-renegotiations-oscars-2016-1201718452/

Who the F*** cares? Like seriously. Awards shows are stupid and lame and unwatchable. The last time I've seen an awards show is The Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards from several years ago when I was a kid. Plus, the only awards show that I watch every single year is ESPN's "Highly Questionable" when they do their Papi Awards.

Other than that, who really F*** cares about the Oscars? According to the ratings, less and less people care about it and I'm one of those who doesn't care.

And to answer your question... NO.

Who the F*** cares? Like seriously. Awards shows are stupid and lame and unwatchable. The last time I've seen an awards show is The Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards from several years ago when I was a kid. Plus, the only awards show that I watch every single year is ESPN's "Highly Questionable" when they do their Papi Awards.

Other than that, who really F*** cares about the Oscars? According to the ratings, less and less people care about it and I'm one of those who doesn't care.

Then don't reply?

And to answer your question... NO.

I respect the fact that you have an opinion, but I've said this before to you, sometimes you come off as a know-it-all and that you believe your opinion is fact. I'm sure people will respond to your post, and you will ignore their questions to your response (as you have many times before). Perhaps you should tone down your cockiness a few notches so you won't sound like an arrogant Prima Donna.

I'm surprised that ABC hasn't taken more of a role, but not really shocked since under Paul Lee he was pretty easy-going under his run as president of the network and thought that AMPAS knew what they were doing. Under Ben Sherwood though, who pretty much makes 'control freak' look like an understatement to describe him, there's sure to be give-take as AMPAS gets its new deal.

NBC pretty much has much more control of the Golden Globes than they had in previous years, and the Grammys has pretty much bowed to Les Moonves to push the esoteric categories to the non-televised afternoon (why Pop isn't carrying this at least I don't understand). Network control has been pushed over the years on these shows, and with the Oscars finally beginning to fall, it's time for them to play the 'push-shove' game. ABC knows that the Oscars are their only true 'big event' outside the NBA Finals, and they will do all they can to keep them.

Unless the contract says otherwise...

You never do/ give makegoods unless the spot did not air or was damaged.

The advertisers took their chances on the ratings.

Then don't reply?

I respect the fact that you have an opinion, but I've said this before to you, sometimes you come off as a know-it-all and that you believe your opinion is fact. I'm sure people will respond to your post, and you will ignore their questions to your response (as you have many times before). Perhaps you should tone down your cockiness a few notches so you won't sound like an arrogant Prima Donna.

Sorry. I know its my opinion. But you guys can tell that I'm not a fan of award shows at all. I hate to rant on here but it was one that was needed to say.

Sorry. I know its my opinion. But you guys can tell that I'm not a fan of award shows at all. I hate to rant on here but it was one that was needed to say.

Sounds like you have had a long day. Go grab a juice box and go watch TV until dinner is ready.

:)

Unlike many of you guys here (one more than others), I enjoy watching awards shows. Sure, the point of them is to give someone a pat on the back in the form of hard Metal shaped like a person or strange-looking object (whether you like the person or not), but I enjoy it for the performances more than the rest.

And to that point...

I've watched the Oscars for several years, and my opinions have been mixed every year. It's boring, pretentious, too glamorous and overblown, and I usually rely on the host and the speeches from the winners to carry though the night (and maybe a nominee waving at the camera during the acting categories presentation).

So yeah, all of the other things are usually thanks to AMPAS' giving control of the production.

I do agree think this would be a good idea for ABC to gain some creative contol.

Like mrshimpf said, the networks fought for control to success in recent years, and in that way, I've enjoyed the productions that come from them.

The ratings from this years' show should provide ample evidence for ABC to succeed in their fight for creative control.

I hope this happens, so that AMPAS doesn't look they're patting themselves with the show every year.

Also, for some reason or another, I hate their desision to change the name of the show to The Oscars. I don't care if for brevity, familiarity, or something else. I just don't like it.

We all know if ABC gets more control, The Oscars will just have more social media put in it and before you know it, a hashtag will be plastered on the screen and some crawl on top of the stage will be displaying Twitter posts...

We all know if ABC gets more control, The Oscars will just have more social media put in it and before you know it, a hashtag will be plastered on the screen and some crawl on top of the stage will be displaying Twitter posts...

Doubt it will happen (that's what the enhanced online coverage is for, and they already had the extended "thank you" crawl); ABC has been the host broadcaster of the Academy Awards now since 1976, and just like Augusta National and the Masters on CBS, AMPAS has total control.

Okay, so they showed the #Oscars hashtag, but only during the ABC pre-show and when they go to commercial during the telecast itself.

• 5 months later...
Um, this year's was the 88th. 2028's will be the 100th.

Hence the word "will" followed by the word "be." I was referring to next year's ceremony; if I was talking about this year's Academy Awards, I'd have used the word "was."

Looks like ABC got what they wanted.... Somewhat. From The Hollywood Reporter:

Three small concessions, one giant leap.

ABC's new megadeal to broadcast the Oscars through 2028 includes gains in a trio of key areas — creative input, distribution and revenue streams — that are considered victories for the network, considering the Academy's ironclad grip on its biggest night of the year.The ceremony always has been challenging from a programming standpoint, in part because it must serve both industry insiders at the Dolby Theatre and civilians at home.

That's why it's significant that ABC now will have more input on the choice of producer and host, although the Academy retains final say. Sources close to the negotiations tell THR ABC plans to address the show's bloated length.

Archived