WFTV DEFINITE New Graphics

MikePulse

Any likelihood this could be a standardized package for Cox?

WSB's graphics are good, but these are much better.

I doubt it- Cox seems bent on allowing each station their own identity, as compared to so many other groups these days. Might be because the founding family is still running the place. (There was a point in the late 90s where WHIO, KIRO, WSOC and WFTV shared similar graphics packs, but that eventually ended.)

Maybe not across the board, but I hope they'd give this a second look for other Cox stations. Unlike you, I think WSB's graphics have been incrementally evolved and modified so many times that they're now a mess. The gold 2 within the blue box would fit very nicely in that bug.

By the way, I thought ABC was requiring their affiliates to include the network logo in the stations' next graphics revamp? I don't see it anywhere in this package.

There was a point in the late 90s where WHIO, KIRO, WSOC and WFTV shared similar graphics packs, but that eventually ended.

Also, practically half the Cox arsenal at some time got some form of WFTV's Giant Octopus HD graphics when they went the route. Including "the mothership".

I'm so glad WFTV got Guardian. It's a heck of a better theme than Inergy. I also like their new graphics as well.

I'm going to record their 4, 5, and 6pm newscasts today and posts the opens on YouTube ASAP. If not today then look for them tomorrow with the 11PM news open.

By the way, I thought ABC was requiring their affiliates to include the network logo in the stations' next graphics revamp? I don't see it anywhere in this package.

Not sure where you heard that. Affiliates only need to feature the ABC logo when it's branding network programming last I heard.

I'm thinking at this point for Guardian's second name should be the "CMG News Package."

WSB, WFTV/WRDQ, KIRO and KOKI/KMYT have it so far.

WSOC/WAXN uses "Image News," WHIO with "The Enforcer," WJAX/WFOX with "The Edge," WFXT with "Impact," WHBQ has WSB's former package, "Coverage" and WPXI uses its own custom theme.

Might as well have all switch to Guardian.

Not sure where you heard that. Affiliates only need to feature the ABC logo when it's branding network programming last I heard.

It was around here, but maybe that was the mandate. I just recall some flipping their lids at the thought of the WSB's and WSOC's of the world having to permanently tack on the alphabet. Maybe it was in the WSB thread. Either way, whatever.

Unlikely this will become a standardized package, but we could see other stations adopt this package (most likely KOKI, and WHBQ)

For those that are interested, the morning news open is up. Eyewitness News Daybreak is no more. I never did get to record the 11PM news last night due to me falling asleep before it came on (that's what happens when you wake up at 3:30 AM for work).

Archived