WFLA New Graphics and music

atlnews2

Is it me or is the new trend in graphics more smartphone/small-screen friendly with massive lower thirds, etc?

This has been going on for a while (starting with CNN, Fox News, and Scripps in the early 2010s) as more and more station groups are abandoning the 4x3 safe zones in favor of going 16x9 full time.

Why do I feel they could've improved the L3s? (And, nit pick side activating, why do these stations - Fox 35 included - think a "Right Now on..." passes as an open when sometimes they don't even go into the headlines?)

Why do I feel they could've improved the L3s? (And, nit pick side activating, why do these stations - Fox 35 included - think a "Right Now on..." passes as an open when sometimes they don't even go into the headlines?)

The graphics themselves are ok. However the font they use for the L3's is really hideous. There are so many other fonts and sizes they could've used to make that look a little more polished.

The graphics themselves are ok. However the font they use for the L3's is really hideous. There are so many other fonts and sizes they could've used to make that look a little more polished.

Right on! It's something I brought up on another thread mentioning the change. I think it was one where the music change was first mentioned with a video of the open. L3's definitely need polishing. The k e r n i n g needs tightening for sure, especially on the anchor and title bar lines, and they should take another look at the size points of the fonts being used. Overall they needed a change from the prior look, but with some tweaking this package can and will ultimately work better for them.

More WFLA vids

Those "Right now ..." opens only work when you're teasing upcoming stories, not when they go straight to the anchor desk, like they do in the opens posted above from the 5:30p and 7p newscasts. WFLA might want to rethink those, or at least better train their producers.

Archived