FOX45/CW54/My24 studios in Baltimore evacuated after a bomb threat

TriangleTriadMediaNews

1. How accessible are these stations!?

2. WMAR had a similar incident last year

Any TV station I've ever been to was always locked down very secure. I had a meeting with a reporter at WNCN once and they had to buzz me in.

More from WBFF themselves: http://foxbaltimore.com/news/local/fox45-evacuated-after-reported-threat-vehicle-fire

ABC2's building was rammed into with a vehicle. The suspect entered the hole they created. FOX45 has a 'safe zone' as many public buildings do. This suspect entered that area which is locked off from the rest of the building, and is holding himself hostage there currently. Nothing is currently accessible to him (control room, studio, etc) unless somebody left the door open.

All of the Baltimore stations, as well as stations across the country increased security after the ABC2 incident, and the tragedy that took Allison Parker and Adam Ward (although that happened at a live shot location).

I'm surprised that WBFF's door is accessible from nearly curbside; the other stations in the city have plenty of frontage in front of their buildings with parking lots and shrubbery, but WBFF is a few steps from the sidewalk.

WBAL (NBC) is in live coverage with Kate Amara anchoring, Lacee Griffith is reporting from the scene (which is literally feet away from the WBAL studios). WJZ (CBS) is live with Mary Bubala anchoring and George Solis reporting on the scene. FOX45 is airing Judge Judy

EDIT: Donna Hamilton has now joined Kate Amara at the newsroom anchor desk.

WBAL (NBC) is in live coverage with Kate Amara anchoring, Lacee Griffith is reporting from the scene (which is literally feet away from the WBAL studios). WJZ (CBS) is live with Mary Bubala anchoring and George Solis reporting on the scene. FOX45 is airing Judge Judy

There is little that WBFF can do? Since their equipment and switching is inaccessible. Although I would think WJLA could help out once they arrive.

I think WBAL is the only station that has a security gate around their entire building with a long driveway to get to the parking lot. WJZ is similar but they don't have a gate.

WMAR is not carrying any special coverage of the police press conference. WBAL unfortunately lost its camera and voice signal so they're just adlibbing right now. Earlier before the man was shot WJZ was the only station showing the man pacing back and forth in the parking lot with the police and swat robot following him. WBAL was a bit more restrained and instead showed a screen grab of the man while monitoring the situation off air. I assume they're trying to be careful in case anything happens.

WBAL's camera is back up and after attending the press conference Weekend Morning Anchor Lacee Griffith is back doing live shots from the beginning of WBAL's entrance.

FOX45's ND said they're going to do an "unconventional newscast" tonight, whether that mean anchoring on location or sending the live feed straight to air with no graphics is unknown. I too thought WJLA would help as ABC15 Phoenix helped WMAR last year.

As far as unconventional newscasts in Baltimore are concerned, here's a throwback to 1998 when Television Hill was evacuated (WBAL and WJZ) forcing WJZ into the garage of WBFF. A crane was dangling from the iconic red tower posing a safety threat.

WBAL's camera is back up and after attending the press conference Weekend Morning Anchor Lacee Griffith is back doing live shots from the beginning of WBAL's entrance.

FOX45's ND said they're going to do an "unconventional newscast" tonight, whether that mean anchoring on location or sending the live feed straight to air with no graphics is unknown. I too thought WJLA would help as ABC15 Phoenix helped WMAR last year.

As far as unconventional newscasts in Baltimore are concerned, here's a throwback to 1998 when Television Hill was evacuated (WBAL and WJZ) forcing WJZ into the garage of WBFF. A crane was dangling from the iconic red tower posing a safety threat.

Would it be possible to send the weekend crew to WJLA and do a makeshift newscast from the News Channel 8 studio?

In lieu of FOX45 News at 4, Dave Lucas from NewsChannel 8 is simulcasting DC coverage on WBFF. They are making it clear to viewers this is Washington coverage and are not trying to pass it off as FOX45's product.

ALSO: My24 Baltimore is airing color bars instead of Jerry Springer. I assume CW WNUV is also down

FOX45 News at 4 is not on the air. WBFF is currently showing a black screen

ALSO: My24 Baltimore is airing color bars instead of Jerry Springer. I assume CW WNUV is also down

Yes!

Color bars will diffuse the situation.....

"Cut the red bar"

As for WBFF showing a black screen...

Well someone was gonna bring up race right?

Here's a tower cam shot of the man after he was shot by the WBAL which was only posted on Twitter.

[MEDIA=twitter]725763441152000000[/MEDIA]

Police are moving near the man taking off the onesie.

[MEDIA=twitter]725779726787317760[/MEDIA]

Here's a tower cam shot of the man after he was shot by the WBAL which was only posted on Twitter.

[MEDIA=twitter]725763441152000000[/MEDIA]

Police are moving near the man taking off the onesie.

[MEDIA=twitter]725779726787317760[/MEDIA]

They are saying that it was an Animal Suit. This according to WNBC reporting. This is just a strange story all around!

They are saying that it was an Animal Suit. This according to WNBC reporting. This is just a strange story all around!

Not quite a suit like you'd see at Disney World or Times Square but rather an adult onesie. The anchors at 11 and 13 they've become popular with celebrities wearing them such as the Kardashians, real actors and athletes.

FOX45 continues coverage past 6pm when they usually go to Family Feud. Evening anchors Kai Jackson and Jennifer Gilbert are field anchoring from outside their building using NewsChannel 8's control room. WBAL, WJZ and WMAR are on to the other news of the day

They are generally as accessible as far as this man got. Most have secure lobbies or vestibules and multiple layers of security within the building itself.

There's no iron-clad way to stop crazy people who do crazy things. Had this man not been allowed into the building, there's always a chance he could have just left a bag at the door claiming there was a bomb in it.

I find it quite interesting that this happened just as the promotion of the "Money Monster" film ramps up. A film that has a plot revolving around a nutjob taking over a TV studio with a gun and making bomb threats... Yeah, THAT'S not going to give insane people ideas...

The three stations are that close to each other? That must be weird.

Not quite a suit like you'd see at Disney World or Times Square but rather an adult onesie. The anchors at 11 and 13 they've become popular with celebrities wearing them such as the Kardashians, real actors and athletes.

This is no professional fursuit we're talking about, that's for sure.

The three stations are that close to each other? That must be weird.

In Raleigh, Capitol Broadcasting's radio outlets, along with iHeartMedia, and Curtis Media Group are all located on the same street, across the street/parking lot from each other. Curtis also shares a building with CW22/My RDC (TV on the first floor, radio upstairs).

Archived