CBS Evening News to debut new theme from Man Made Music

Geoffrey

Variety reports that the CBS Evening News with Scott Pelley will debut new music (as well as "new graphics elements") tonight: http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/cbs-evening-news-scott-pelley-new-music-1201785840/

in November asked Joel Beckerman, a composer and author, and his company, Man Made Music, to develop new music for CBS’ debates and political coverage. Beckerman and his staff incorporated some of the refrains from that political music for a new arrangement of the “CBS Evening News” theme. The team made use of a full, 30-piece live orchestra, along with a variety of modern production elements, and the music can can be updated and even in some cases tailored for specific broadcasts, like the West Coast edition of the “CBS Evening News.”

They've been using the current theme since Pelley took over five years ago and it had been used previously when Dan Rather was the anchor.

Dude. Pretty shitty. Nearly as bad as the Couric era theme. If anyone at 30 Rock ever has thought of toying with the Mission, listen to this...or whatever it is they're playing on ABC's Good Evening America these days...

Dude. Pretty shitty. Nearly as bad as the Couric era theme. If anyone at 30 Rock ever has thought of toying with the Mission, listen to this...or whatever it is they're playing on ABC's Good Evening America these days...
So the katie couric theme is still worse right?

I actually like it. It feels new and modern yet still serious. And it does feel like the election music, which I really enjoyed (those debate opens were killer).

It's also got a faster pace which is more appropriate for the social era, I suppose, and in making the broadcast feel a little younger (a tough job with a network evening newscast).

I rather like the whole presentation, though it feels like it's lacking a definable musical signature...

Other than that, it's a pretty nice revamp for them, even if it is a shame to see the old theme go once more.

A-.

I don't like any of it.

Did anyone notice the signature at the beginning is very similar to the opening signature for CBS This Morning? Maybe a new nonchalant way to say "hey, CBS News is on" if viewers aren't looking at the TV

Archived