WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

It makes sense for NECN to become something not unlike what the Ohio News Network had been. ONN was handled as an extension of WBNS 10TV that was run lean and mean. (To wit, during ONN's existence, they filled quite a few hours with simulcasts and time-delayed replays of newscasts from "partner stations" like 10TV, WEWS and WTVG.)

I'm surprised NECN doesn't already do that with their own "partner stations" already. If they do it with WBTS, I could see them also replaying newscasts from WVIT (the obvious), WCSH/WLBZ, WWLP, WPTZ/WNNE, etc.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm surprised NECN doesn't already do that with their own "partner stations" already. If they do it with WBTS, I could see them also replaying newscasts from WVIT (the obvious), WCSH/WLBZ, WWLP, WPTZ/WNNE, etc.

I wonder how sanguine NECN's NBC affiliate partners are about the impending debut of NBC Boston; it could be seen as an incursion on their turf. Sure, it gives partners like WCSH free local/regional content for their stations in exchange for office space, but NBC Boston will also compete with its partners with overlapping coverage areas for ad revenue.

I wonder how sanguine NECN's NBC affiliate partners are about the impending debut of NBC Boston; it could be seen as an incursion on their turf. Sure, it gives partners like WCSH free local/regional content for their stations in exchange for office space, but NBC Boston will also compete with its partners with overlapping coverage areas for ad revenue.

NBC will call it "Synergy"...

Which is a nice way of blowing smoke up the "partners" asses.

People talk about WBTS and NBC like it happened yesterday. It was announced a year ago and was a hot rumor for months before that. Any crossover or partnership concerns were addressed a long time ago. I think the three platforms (NECN, WBTS, Telemundo) are going to be run under the same theory as GM runs Chevrolet, Cadillac and Oldsmobile. Same engine under the hood, but outwardly each has a separate and distinct customer, audience and demographic. One will certainly be the big dog, but for the foreseeable future all of them are going to be important parts of the whole product.

[quote name='rkolsen']Maybe @Thundershock MN can provide some insight to this but don't FCC rules require the virtual channel number to be equivalent to their analog channel number?[/QUOTE] So, I'm a bit late to the party and this will likely be long winded but here it goes... Yes, for the most part licensees are required to use their old analog number as their virtual channel number. Raymie already alluded to some of this earlier in the thread. But, just to expand a bit licensees are assigned a virtual channel in the 2-69 range as follows: [LIST=1] [*]For a licensee with an analog license existing at the time it commences digital service, the major virtual channel number shall be set to match the old analog RF channel number existing at the time it commenced digital service. [*]For a new licensee without an existing analog license at the time it commenced digital service, the major virtual channel number shall be set to the FCC-assigned RF channel number for ATSC digital TV broadcast. See: KDCU-DT or WWTW as examples. [*]If the RF channel assigned to a licensee for digital ATSC broadcast is changed for any reason, the major virtual channel number used by that licensee shall not change. See: KTVT & WHDH as examples. [*]If an RF channel previously allotted for analog TV in a market is assigned to a newly-licensed DTV licensee in that market, the newly-licensed DTV licensee shall use, as its major virtual channel, the number of the DTV RF channel originally assigned to the previous analog TV licensee of the assigned channel. See: WMDE (conflicts w/ WTTG) or as Raymie pointed out, K26KJ-D (conflicts w/ KINT) as examples. [*]If a licensee owns or controls broadcast licenses for two or more different RF channels having overlapping Service Areas, a common major virtual channel number may be used for all services on all channels. In this case, the major virtual channel number shall be as determined in mandatory requirements 1-4 above for any one of the RF channels. The values in the minor virtual channel number fields shall be partitioned to ensure that there is no duplication in the DTV Service Area, including the overlapping DTV Service Areas of other licensees using that same virtual channel number. See: KTCA/KTCI, KSTP/KSTC or KMSP/WFTC as examples [*]A licensee may include in the transmitted multiplex programming originating from a different licensee. In this case, the major/minor virtual channel numbers of the original broadcast may be used to label those services, as long as the major/minor virtual channel number combinations are coordinated in the local Service Area to avoid conflicts in the channel numbers. See:WCAU & WWSI as an example. (Although co-owned in this example the stations don't have to be under common ownership/control.) [*]For a licensee’s signal carried by a digital TV translator, the major/minor virtual channel numbers shall remain the same as the original broadcast station unless the major virtual channel conflicts with a licensee operating in the Service Area of the translator. In that case, the translator shall change the major virtual number to a non-conflicting number. [*]The FCC allows waivers of the PSIP standard on a case by case basis to resolve "unique situations" thereby assigning a different virtual channel to a licensee. See: KAXT-CD (waiver for VC 1), [URL='http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=45006']WDFL-LD (waiver for VC 18)[/URL][URL='http://, [url=http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=35363]WMYS-LP & WBND-LD (waiver to swap VCs 34 & 57)'], [url=http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=35363]WMYS-LP & WBND-LD (waiver to swap VCs 34 & 57)[/URL][/url], [URL='http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=53875']KGBY & KJCT-LP (waiver to swap VCs 8 & 20)[/URL], [URL='https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076ff352a8be4c0152d0b0bf5600b4']KOTA, KEVN-LD & KHME (waiver to swap VCs 3, 7 & 23)[/URL], [URL='https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076ff35637e5610157fce4d2980c5b']KSNV & KHSV (waiver to swap VCs 3 & 21...albeit a little over a year and a half after the fact.)[/URL] [/LIST] And, just for completeness they don't approve every request. See:[URL='https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076f915406a04f0154b960f78f0940'] KGSA-LD (denied request to use VC 21)[/URL], [URL='https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-15-662A1.pdf'] WJLP (denied their “alternative proposal” to use VC 3.10)[/URL] and [URL='https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076ff355269af0015597938332068f'] KVLY (denied their request to use VC 4 for CBS programming.)[/URL] Then of course you have that small handful of stations that as far as I can tell seemingly don't care and choose to do whatever they want. See: KAIL, WBOC & WRLM. There is also the ability to use virtual channels 70-99 within the ATSC standard. Although, I'd say the way it’s use laid out it’s more of a “loose framework.” Broadcasters can use it for “other services” which they don't want identified with main channel. Very early in the digital transition USDTV, an “OTA cable” service provider, leased space from various broadcast channels for their service and mapped all the channels under a common major virtual channel of 99 for example. Why AirBox doesn't currently do this I don't know. And, Tribune was looking to use VC 75 early on in the digital transition. The rumor was they might map all their stations under a common VC. Obviously, that never came to fruition so, we’ll never really know what the plan was. With regards to WBTS-LD[URL='http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/prod/cdbs/forms/prod/getimportletter_exh.cgi?import_letter_id=45006'] they were [/URL][URL='https://enterpriseefiling.fcc.gov/dataentry/api/download/attachment/25076ff35637e5610157fce0e3f50c59']granted a waiver[/URL]. Because they were displaced (a couple times) in the original digital transition the FCC views WBTS-LD as a station transitioning from analog channel 46. Normally, they would use their analog channel number (46) as the virtual channel. But, WWDP is already using virtual channel 46 so they can't use that. The next step (see #2 above) would be to use WWDPs RF channel (10) as their virtual channel. However, that wouldn't work either as their would be overlap in the service contour with WJAR causing a conflict there as well. So, not having an option as defined within the PSIP standard they picked a virtual channel number that wouldn't conflict with any neighboring stations (8) and petitioned the FCC for a waiver. With all that said I’m still of the opinion prior allowing a licensee to “pick” their own virtual channel as part of a waiver request to resolve a conflict the FCC should require a station to do one of the following: Either, use channel 37 (zero chance of a conflict) or use a land mobile RF channel number (14-20) for that market, if that area has a land mobile allocation. Heck, if push came to shove you could even add Channel 1 in there as an option, too. But, I digress.

Whew…

So, I think WBTS-LD will be just fine. But, I do have a few random thoughts/questions.

First, I'm curious what some of the Canadian MVPDs will do come Jan. 1. WBTS-LD isn't authorized for carriage in Canada yet. It will be interesting to see if the CRTC approves Bell’s request to add WBTS-LD to the list of “non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution” in time. I'm assuming WDIV would just get plugged in for the time being.

For all the hand wringing that's been done over how this move shafts “OTA only” viewers I'd be curious how many actually negatively impacted. And, what the net loss/gain is. They're obviously gaining some “extra” OTA carriage in the northern part of the market via WNEU that isn't covered with WHDH’s OTA signal. Just be interesting to know.

I still think they will try to get WBTS-LD on a full power stick post-auction. In fact, Mike St. Peter, president and general manager of NBC Boston, NECN, and Telemundo Boston, made the following comments last month in the Boston Globe: “We have come a long way. We continue to look for how we can improve over-the-air service,” he said. “When the spectrum auction finishes, there will be more options available to our company for that.”

Something in my gut makes me think they were originally going to use VC 10 over the air before someone either WJAR or (likely) the FCC pointed out that wouldn't work. And, they pivoted at the last minute. Nothing concrete to really base this on. I just find the channel 10 cable/satellite placement odd. What's on cable 8 anyway?

Finally, quick funny story with regards to their virtual channel. Remember when NBCU put out that press release stating that NBC Boston “will be available on channel 8 or 8.2 depending on location.” It was assumed (correctly) by some that they planned to map the simulcast on WNEU to 8.2. Only problem with that is WMTW which also uses VC 8 and has a contour that overlaps with WNEU. So, their council sent an email to the FCC to try and obtain an “official” ok and confirm the IDs to be used. And, they were shut down in less than 3 hours. Might want to have your ducks in row first... just saying.

Just checked DirecTV's program guide and it appears that WBTS is now on DirecTV on channel 10.

It launched on DirecTV last Thursday. Also, WNEU is now only available via HD(/MPEG4) equipment. WBTS-LD inherited WNEU's SD slot from WNEU.

With regards to WBTS-LD they were granted a waiver. Because they were displaced (a couple times) in the original digital transition the FCC views WBTS-LD as a station transitioning from analog channel 46. Normally, they would use their analog channel number (46) as the virtual channel. But, WWDP is already using virtual channel 46 so they can't use that. The next step (see #2 above) would be to use WWDPs RF channel (10) as their virtual channel. However, that wouldn't work either as their would be overlap in the service contour with WJAR causing a conflict there as well. So, not having an option as defined within the PSIP standard they picked a virtual channel number that wouldn't conflict with any neighboring stations (8) and petitioned the FCC for a waiver.

I remember your prior post about PSIPs. I couldn't find anything on the FCC website about a waiver (find there are many different search options/forms). Thanks for clearing it up.

Something in my gut makes me think they were originally going to use VC 10 over the air before someone either WJAR or (likely) the FCC pointed out that wouldn't work. And, they pivoted at the last minute. Nothing concrete to really base this on. I just find the channel 10 cable/satellite placement odd. What's on cable 8 anyway?

Where I am in NH (Manchester area), cable 8 is WMUR's SD feed, so WBTS is getting 26. (On the HD side, WMUR has 709 and WLVI has 708, so WBTS is getting 710...which used to be NECN.)

Now this is wonderful.

U.S. Senator Edward Markey wrote a letter to Comcast CEO Brian Roberts to show him proof that their new O&O OTA signal will reach the entire Boston market. (NOT!!!)

“I’m concerned that when NBC launches its network-owned station in January, some communities in Massachusetts and throughout New England may lose reliable access to free, over-the-air NBC content” .... “Seniors, low-income residents, and anyone who has recently ended their pay-TV subscription may be particularly impacted if there is a reduction in coverage.”

This is what I've been talking about since NBC made that announcement back in January. And I'm happy Senator Markey is coming forward but wished that he would've done this months beforehand. I strongly doubt anything would change anything at this point (unless the courts allow Ansin's appeal to go through). But this should be known that some areas in the Boston market (Plymouth & Worcester for example) will lose its NBC signal come January 1st. Unless Roberts or others at NBC can prove otherwise. (NOT!)

Now this is wonderful.

U.S. Senator Edward Markey wrote a letter to Comcast CEO Brian Roberts to show him proof that their new O&O OTA signal will reach the entire Boston market. (NOT!!!)

This is what I've been talking about since NBC made that announcement back in January. And I'm happy Senator Markey is coming forward but wished that he would've done this months beforehand. I strongly doubt anything would change anything at this point (unless the courts allow Ansin's appeal to go through). But this should be known that some areas in the Boston market (Plymouth & Worcester for example) will lose its NBC signal come January 1st. Unless Roberts or others at NBC can prove otherwise. (NOT!)

Senator Markey's argument is invalid. First of all, southeast Mass can get WJAR OTA easily. Second, even if central Mass can't get WBTS/WNEU, WJAR, WVIT or WWLP, who is that helping? I can tell you one thing, it ain't helping Comcast. Here is a cable provider map of Massachusetts and look at all that blue around Worcester. That's not Comcast; that's Charter (Spectrum).

cable2015.png

I think no matter whether you think you're in the right or wrong, when a US Senator asks questions, you produce a decent answer. It wasn't that long ago that FCC licenses were lost over these kinds of shenanigans.

The Patriots in the playoffs is once again a lock, so depending on how the schedule shakes out, we're going to find out really quick whether the DMA can find WBTS.

Based on my own personal experience, UHF LPTV's are easy to pick up with a bowtie antenna within 15 or 20 miles of the stick. Easier and more stable, in fact, than VHF-high full power stations (with rabbit ears, that is).

I have never been able to pick up a VHF-high LPTV with rabbit ears, but with a rooftop antenna you would be surprised how good and how stable the picture is.

Looking at the WBTS/WJAR/WNEU signals together, it looks to me like the Boston area is pretty well covered. A full power UHF allocation would be better, but if you want NBC OTA, you should be able to get it between those three signals, depending on how awful the WNEU signal is.

I think no matter whether you think you're in the right or wrong, when a US Senator asks questions, you produce a decent answer. It wasn't that long ago that FCC licenses were lost over these kinds of shenanigans.

Common sense is all but dead.

Based on my own personal experience, UHF LPTV's are easy to pick up with a bowtie antenna within 15 or 20 miles of the stick. Easier and more stable, in fact, than VHF-high full power stations (with rabbit ears, that is).

I have never been able to pick up a VHF-high LPTV with rabbit ears, but with a rooftop antenna you would be surprised how good and how stable the picture is.

Looking at the WBTS/WJAR/WNEU signals together, it looks to me like the Boston area is pretty well covered. A full power UHF allocation would be better, but if you want NBC OTA, you should be able to get it between those three signals, depending on how awful the WNEU signal is.

Do TV manufactures even include rabbit ears in the box anymore?

Nope- gotta buy your antenna separately.

It's got to be one of those fancy HD ones. And don't forget the HDMI cables, and the Monster Power Surge Protector! AND the extended warranty! And did I mention the free Netflix trial?

(I used to work at one of those Big box electronics stores that may or may not still be in business...I remember all of the scams we had to force on people...)

But sadly, all of the hoops one has to go through to get a signal has people either paying to get a free product, or cutting the cord altogether.

It's got to be one of those fancy HD ones. And don't forget the HDMI cables, and the Monster Power Surge Protector! AND the extended warranty! And did I mention the free Netflix trial?

(I used to work at one of those Big box electronics stores that may or may not still be in business...I remember all of the scams we had to force on people...)

But sadly, all of the hoops one has to go through to get a signal has people either paying to get a free product, or cutting the cord altogether.

And all because the internet changed things, including giving us streaming

Archived