WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

Also, 8 is a more advantageous, easy-to-remember channel number.

And a downright shot at WHDH 7. I can imagine the promos...

"Watch NBC Boston, we're a channel up from theirs!"

"Can't find your NBC shows? Flip to the next channel!"

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

By comparison, on December 31, 1988, NBC aired the Orange Bowl parade in prime time... but on WSVN. NBC-owned WTVJ ran a local pre-parade show with the same talent leading into their final three hours of CBS programming ever. (WSVN did a local countdown show with Bob Soper.)

And WSVN didn't show the segment containing WTVJ's float. I recorded WSVN's coverage (and attended the parade), and there's a skyline view of Miami with generic crowd noise during the time WTVJ's float aired on network television.

Wonder if Carson Dallas will "welcome" NBC Boston during the telecast (airing on WHDH)...

J

That would be one last, and epic F U to Ansin/WHDH.

Adding the obligatory:

#byefelicia #comcastcares

And WSVN didn't show the segment containing WTVJ's float. I recorded WSVN's coverage (and attended the parade), and there's a skyline view of Miami with generic crowd noise during the time WTVJ's float aired on network television.

Wonder if Carson Dallas will "welcome" NBC Boston during the telecast (airing on WHDH)...

J

HAHAHAHAHAHA Do you still have the tape?

For the record, the **last** NBC show on WHDH will be an SNL rerun from 12:29am-2:01am.

It's well-suited for an era and market where channel positition is less and less important, in a time where WFXT, marked as Fox 25 for well over two decades is on channel 6 or 8 depending on the cable system.

While Verizon carries Fox 25 on Channels 8/508, most Comcast systems carry the station on Ch. 13, with the HD signal on 806. I don't know why...

Also, I don't know why Comcast decided to place NBC Boston on Ch. 10. I would have given it a single-digit channel number to make it easy for viewers to find it, such as Ch. 3. Currently, HSN occupies that slot, which leads me to ask - why does HSN get a very favorable dial spot?

Guest Former Member 207
While Verizon carries Fox 25 on Channels 8/508, most Comcast systems carry the station on Ch. 13, with the HD signal on 806. I don't know why...

Also, I don't know why Comcast decided to place NBC Boston on Ch. 10. I would have given it a single-digit channel number to make it easy for viewers to find it, such as Ch. 3. Currently, HSN occupies that slot, which leads me to ask - why does HSN get a very favorable dial spot?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Otherwise, why go through all that trouble?

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Otherwise, why go through all that trouble?

Lol, not only does HSN get priority over NBC Boston on the Comcast systems, but on Verizon Fios, it's even worse! WBIN, WNEU, and NECN all get better dial spots than WBTS!

If I were Comcast, I would have assigned NBC Boston to Chs. 3/803 on Comcast. Ch. 803 is currently WBPX HD (Ion), which is "must carry" in the market, so it could have easily been moved to a different dial position.

Furthermore, I would have assigned NBC Boston to Chs. 6/506 on Verizon, and move WBIN to Chs. 18/518. That station is also "must-carry" in the market and brands itself as "WBIN 18" because of its carraige on Comcast Ch. 18.

Even more odd, RCN will carry the station on Chs. 13/613, when it could have easily been on 3/603 or 8/608, keeping the other major Boston stations (that elect retransmission consent) at their existing dial positions!

Also of note, according to zap2it.com, when the clock strikes midnight on December 31/January 1, NBC will not go dark on WHDH. It will continue to air New Year's Eve with Carson Daly through 12:30, while NBC Boston continues broadcasting First Night from Boston. At 12:30 AM, WHDH will air Saturday Night Live, which will run through 2:04 AM. That will be the last NBC program to air on Ch. 7.

Officially, the affiliation switch will take place at 3 AM, but the first NBC program to air on WBTS will be Sunday Today at 8 AM. As far as local news goes, WBTS will still simulcast NECN newscasts on Dec. 31, but will "officially" launch their own newscasts on Jan. 1 starting at 5:30 AM, and it'll be called "NBC Boston Weekend Today". Confused yet?

Lol, not only does HSN get priority over NBC Boston on the Comcast systems, but on Verizon Fios, it's even worse! WBIN, WNEU, and NECN all get better dial spots than WBTS!

If I were Comcast, I would have assigned NBC Boston to Chs. 3/803 on Comcast. Ch. 803 is currently WBPX HD (Ion), which is "must carry" in the market, so it could have easily been moved to a different dial position.

Furthermore, I would have assigned NBC Boston to Chs. 6/506 on Verizon, and move WBIN to Chs. 18/518. That station is also "must-carry" in the market and brands itself as "WBIN 18" because of its carraige on Comcast Ch. 18.

Even more odd, RCN will carry the station on Chs. 13/613, when it could have easily been on 3/603 or 8/608, keeping the other major Boston stations (that elect retransmission consent) at their existing dial positions!

Supposedly WBTS will move to 10/510 on Verizon some time in January. Never did see a source though.

Your HD channels are on different channels? How backwards. On my system, WNBC is on Ch. 4, in HD. No special HD channels. Haven't been for years. Same with DirecTV.

Yep, Comcast is mostly 8xx for HD, Verizon is 5xx. When I was in college I had the good fortune of having what you had (i.e. just the channel number, no multiples).

Your HD channels are on different channels? How backwards. On my system, WNBC is on Ch. 4, in HD. No special HD channels. Haven't been for years. Same with DirecTV.

The joys of cheap cable boxes. You'd think cable companies would want to make switching to HD easier on viewers, not force them to remember a whole new set of channel numbers.

I believe Xfinity's X1 boxes are smart enough to provide the HD feed even when the channel number for the SD feed is selected.

Yep, Comcast is mostly 8xx for HD, Verizon is 5xx. When I was in college I had the good fortune of having what you had (i.e. just the channel number, no multiples).

7xx and 8xx here (also Comcast), but the local stations are all in the 701-719 range.

My brother lives in Connecticut, and, while he also has Comcast, all of the HD channels are 1000 and up. Yup, four digits.

During what was the second most stupidest and most-failed retrans agreement ever in 2012 (WNWO/Buckeye being the worst), Journal gambled that Time Warner Cable wouldn't sell off their cable positions during the fight. Time Warner was more than happy to take the money of Game Show Network and move them to the lifeline tier to fill those channel spaces. When they settled, WTMJ in Milwaukee lost their 4 position and ended up on 2, WGBA/Green Bay went to channel 13 from 8, WACY was stuck on channel 83, and KMIR in Palm Springs had to kill their entire branding campaign of being on channel 6 because they lost their slot. GSN is still single-digit on those systems in WI and the Desert Cities (though no telling if Charter will re-map to logical positions). Journal gave up on preferred SD positions hastily because they knew the HD positions were more important and their ratings were gutted.

Basically, shopping and other channels pay big money to get anything between 2-20, and Comcast isn't about to tick HSN (or their accounting department) off by moving them in Boston.

Don't get me started. I have a friend in Pittsburgh who has Comcast and the channel positions are jacked up as all sh*t.

Example:

KDKA: 6 SD/802 HD

WTAE: 8 SD/804 HD

WPXI: 12 SD/811 HD

WQED: 9 SD/813 HD

WPCW: 15 SD/808 HD

WPNT: 10 SD/812 HD

WPGH: 7 SD/803 HD

And for sh*ts and giggles:

HSN: 18 SD/809 HD

QVC: 20 SD/806 HD

In the suburbs, the SD channels might be different, i.e. KDKA is 3 in Bethel Park, 5 in Aliquippa, 6 in Monroeville, etc.

Guest Former Member 207

I'm in a Charter/TWC territory (virtually the entire city and county of Los Angeles, minus a few pockets with Cox service), and not too long after the merger was announced, TWC went the DirecTV route and auto-tuned the HD channel to the channel slot of the SD counterpart. Strangely, the locals are also duplicated to the 1200 block (with the rest of the diginets).

I remember as a kid, the cable systems in the Inland Empire (about 50-60 miles east of L.A.) had KCBS slotted on channel 6, instead of 2, but that was due to signal ingress. That's actually like that in a lot of other cities, where the VHF locals are located anywhere but their regular channel numbers. By the 1990s, thanks to consolidation by cable mergers/buyouts, every cable system in the market had the L.A. VHF locals on their regular channels across the board.

Don't get me started. I have a friend in Pittsburgh who has Comcast and the channel positions are jacked up as all sh*t.

Example:

Don't forget Washington, DC, where the main Comcast headend is so close to the city's transmitters (not by fault but just the intimacy of DC's geography in general) they have to locate all the local channels in the 20's because of massive interference in the 2-13 band.

Here's a preview of the NBC Boston, Telemundo Boston and NECN (that's a mouthful) 's Weather Warrior. I thought they were going with Ranger branding.

[MEDIA=instagram]BN_bxfmBRKV[/MEDIA]

That looks like a regular mobile weather van. The StormRangers... well, I have no idea what the hell they're supposed to be or do, but those are more like portable dopplers.

As for channels... I think it varies by service area in Philly (Comcast gobbled up all of the competing cable companies here). For the most part, KYW, WPVI, and WCAU are all on their respective channels, most systems map WPHL to 17 and WHYY to 12... WPSG is never on 57 and WTXF is never on 29. When Roger LaMay ran WTXF, he pushed the "Fox Philadelphia" branding hard for that exact reason... when he left, corporate changed it back. The fact that they called the local news "Fox News" probably didn't help. Same with WPSG's verbal branding as "The CW Philly", though the logo reads "Philly 57" in order to drive me crazy...

Archived