WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

I am so curious to see what happens to WHDH when all is said and done. I really don't think its news operation is so beloved in the Boston market that it can survive on that and whatever syndication stuff it picks up.

Eventually WLVI will merge into WHDH. Running an indie and a CW affiliate both with mediocre program inventories is simply unsustainable.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They probably didn't have a plan when they decided they were pulling NBC from WHDH. They probably did it hoping Ansin would coem crawling back on their terms and when that didn't happen they were left in a bind.

Which is the best possible explanation. NBC Boston is still a tremendous risk that I'm not totally convinced will work out in the long run. Eventually they will have no choice but to purchase an additional relay. As-is, they can get away with this arrangement.

NBC, for all intents and purposes, could put a "NBC Houston" on KTMD-DT4 if Graham refuses to sell KPRC to the Peacock. The difference would be that NBC would have to build a news operation from scratch compared to "NBC Boston", which at least could build an operation on the foundation of NECN. Also, KTMD is a signal that can cover the Houston DMA as well as the other stations, so Graham better kiss up.

I hope this blows up in their face so that repeating this in other markets isn't feasible.

What if NBC suddenly decides to pull KHTS out of their ass if Graham won't sell them KPRC?

Is there actually speculation around this happening?

Iirc, NBCU aborted a plan to rebrand all of the O&Os as NBC [LOCALITY]. I'm pretty sure WVIT and KNSD were the only O&O properties to change anything on-air, making the switch from NBC 30 to NBC Connecticut and NBC 7/39 to NBC San Diego respectively. NBC Bay Area was already that.

I remember the odd website redesign where NBC tried to 'portal' everything and made it seem like the only thing their stations were reporting on the front page were advertorial (a riot basically had to be happening to go above the fold), and asked you how you felt about a story (portending Facebook's expanded like button eight years ahead). No web streaming at all either of newscasts and actual news was buried four clicks into the site; thankfully the 'hey where's our news and radar' crowd killed that design PDQ.

Speaking of the websites, I can't believe nbc.nyc and nbc.la don't work.

Generally the city and most custom domains since those opened up have bombed. They're either too expensive to purchase (you want to protect your company by getting its '.sucks' domain? Enjoy paying a ransom for decades), or like .biz, incredibly cheap and festooned with spam and malware. KNBC went with 'nbc4.tv' for the longest time for their web brand but eventually got taken in by mandate.

Is there actually speculation around this happening?

I remember a TVNewsCheck article where someone was quoted on how this NBC Boston thing would set a precedent for such a thing to happen. Not that in specific, but Houston is now the largest market with no NBC O&O.

Well, you know Ed, he doesn't like NBC for taking away his "tabloid" format in favor of traditional/standardized format, of course I could be wrong on the subject.

Ed Ansin also owns the property that WHDH sits on. And you and I know that NBC would have combined operations with NECN at their studios.

Effectively, Comcast only wanted WHDH's license.

"Countdown NBC Boston" launched today. The program schedule features NECN simulcasts, COZI TV programming, Dateline, and the syndicated lineup.

The attachment won't download. But here's a link to what I think you mean to attach:

https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3179203/NBCCountdown.pdf

And the schedule starting January:

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3179243-NBCBostonClean.html

Interesting that Early Today and the 4:30 AM newscasts aren't carried on Friday's.

Edit: Stupid me. I was looking at the schedule as Monday is all in one column. Early Today and the 4:30AM newscast are listed in the Thursday column for Friday. Everything is listed where the broadcast day starts at 5AM.

Surprisingly, the new NBC Boston will air Meet the Press at 10:30 AM, just like WHDH, when other NBC stations (like WJAR) air the program at 10 AM. The reason for this is for an additional half-hour of local news at 10 AM on Sundays.

Side note - why is 10 AM a popular time for local news on Sunday mornings? You don't see local news in that timeslot the other 6 days of the week. WCVB and WHDH do the same thing (for the WCVB weekend morning news team, that makes for a LONG Sunday morning). Do the local news departments act on the belief that people "sleep in wicked late" on Sunday mornings? That seems very far fetched to me.

Surprisingly, the new NBC Boston will air Meet the Press at 10:30 AM, just like WHDH, when other NBC stations (like WJAR) air the program at 10 AM. The reason for this is for an additional half-hour of local news at 10 AM on Sundays.

Side note - why is 10 AM a popular time for local news on Sunday mornings? You don't see local news in that timeslot the other 6 days of the week. WCVB and WHDH do the same thing (for the WCVB weekend morning news team, that makes for a LONG Sunday morning). Do the local news departments act on the belief that people "sleep in wicked late" on Sunday mornings? That seems very far fetched to me.

To completely battle against CBS Sunday Morning, I assume. WFMJ in Youngstown goes from 9-10:30 as well on Sundays.

Many go to early church services .

Those God fearing folks that make up a vast part of the country.

WSB takes sunday morning news to the extreme, airing news from 6am to 11am, This Week at 11am, and then another half hour of news at noon.

WSB takes sunday morning news to the extreme, airing news from 6am to 11am, This Week at 11am, and then another half hour of news at noon.

6-8 and 9-11am specifically.

WHDH will soon air hour-long news at 10am on Saturdays and Sundays once it goes Independent.

Surprisingly, the new NBC Boston will air Meet the Press at 10:30 AM, just like WHDH, when other NBC stations (like WJAR) air the program at 10 AM.

Looks like I was incorrect to begin with. WVIT and WNBC (other NBC O&O's) also air Meet the Press at 10:30 AM. I guess WJAR is the exception to the rule here.

On the other hand, Boston area residents will finally get the Today show in its intended timeslots 7 days a week. WHDH pre-empts the program on weekdays at 9 AM, and frequently pre-empts the Today show on Saturdays after 8 AM. This won't be the case anymore.

Looks like I was incorrect to begin with. WVIT and WNBC (other NBC O&O's) also air Meet the Press at 10:30 AM. I guess WJAR is the exception to the rule here.

On the other hand, Boston area residents will finally get the Today show in its intended timeslots 7 days a week. WHDH pre-empts the program on weekdays at 9 AM, and frequently pre-empts the Today show on Saturdays after 8 AM. This won't be the case anymore.

On Sundays, WNBC airs TINY from 6-9, Today from 9-10, TINY from 10-10:30 then Meet the Press. WJAR has not been an O&O for over 10 years and are program it when they want.

They got that NYC Open House program at 8:30am on Sundays though.
u

True. I forgot about it since I won't watch it. They also have George to the Resuce on Saturdays. Both are produced by LX, and I would expect Boston centric versions like the Hub Today (equivalent to New York Live at 12:30 pm weekdays) eventually shows up on NBC Boston.

If the E/I rule didn't exist, I'm pretty sure that many stations would program newscasts that late on Saturday mornings.

Archived