WBTS - Home of NBC Boston?

The Frog

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure if Comcast has started doing integrated HD. If you carry HD feed of channel or network and have HD STB you get HD feed of it and SD for SD only STB.

Well, that's the interesting twist here: We seem to have a entire second channel lineup starting in the 1000s and running all the way up into the 1870s, with all channels grouped logically, large gaps between groups, and broadcast stations on channels that at least end in the appropriate numbers. See the attached PDF.

xfinity_channel_lineup.pdf

Despite that, the Hub now has a reason to watch NBC 10 Boston during that next few weeks!

And they’re probably going to pull out all the stops. To be honest I don’t see much difference between their product and the others aside from WHDH. The issue is people are used to their old stations and not going to try out a new one. If anyone expected them to do well in the ratings from the getgo they’d be crazy.

And they’re probably going to pull out all the stops. To be honest I don’t see much difference between their product and the others aside from WHDH. The issue is people are used to their old stations and not going to try out a new one. If anyone expected them to do well in the ratings from the getgo they’d be crazy.

Just like any other expansion team, you have to lose before you learn to win.

EXCEPTION: Vegas Golden Knights

Well, that's the interesting twist here: We seem to have a entire second channel lineup starting in the 1000s and running all the way up into the 1870s, with all channels grouped logically, large gaps between groups, and broadcast stations on channels that at least end in the appropriate numbers. See the attached PDF.

Wow, that Comcast system is really topsy-turvy. WMUR is on cable channel 8 instead of 9? Why, especially when you’re physically in NH? I’d move WMUR to (cable) channel 9, WLVI to channel 8, WBTS to channel 10, WPXG to channel 21 (matching its OTA virtual channel), and “Local 2” to channel 15.

Getting this thread back on topic, I’m sure NBC Boston will get more viewers now since they’ll have the Patriots’ Super Bowl game followed by the Winter Olympics...

Wow, that Comcast system is really topsy-turvy. WMUR is on cable channel 8 instead of 9? Why, especially when you’re physically in NH? I’d move WMUR to (cable) channel 9, WLVI to channel 8, WBTS to channel 10, WPXG to channel 21 (matching its OTA virtual channel), and “Local 2” to channel 15.

Getting this thread back on topic, I’m sure NBC Boston will get more viewers now since they’ll have the Patriots’ Super Bowl game followed by the Winter Olympics...

IIRC back in the analog days, VHF and cable channels 2-13 were on the same frequencies. If the TV receiver was close to the transmitter, there could be interference from a strong OTA signal bleeding through the cable feed. They probably put WMUR on 8 to avoid this, and then left it there to this day....

IIRC back in the analog days, VHF and cable channels 2-13 were on the same frequencies. If the TV receiver was close to the transmitter, there could be interference from a strong OTA signal bleeding through the cable feed. They probably put WMUR on 8 to avoid this, and then left it there to this day....

I assume this is the case, too.

Good luck getting the town to agree to that. Those local/public access stations have been in those spots for decades.

I’m sure NBC Boston will get more viewers now since they’ll have the Patriots’ Super Bowl game followed by the Winter Olympics...

I'm sure they will, but with Comcast offering its X1 customers 50 virtual Olympics "channels" including 4K HDR I wonder how much of a bump it will be or if it will yield sustainable growth in their non-network programming.

How archaic. DirecTV has been doing it for years. Same with Altice (Optimum). Verizon does not either and it is one of the drawbacks.

I imagine because DirecTV probably uplinks the HD feed.

Comcast has been pushing their listings in the 1000s lately (that launched a year or two ago) that make more sense. And in 2012 here in the Maryland System they launched the 800s which was exclusively HD. The big three were on 802, 811, 813 - WMAR, WBAL and WJZ respectively. WBFF and WNUV were and 805 - the last number of their frequency.

Nonetheless this is off topic.

That's the entire problem with NBC Boston - it doesn't have a distinctive voice or style and that's fatal in a crowded TV news market.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2018/01/25/who-won-and-who-lost-local-news-war-when-nbc-broke-with-whdh/o9hUHXO6p9mBKlDtFyTG3K/story.html

Oh no, so many off-topic posts.

Let's try to keep this focused on TV, folks.

All right.

WBTS is a struggle after a year. If somehow WBTS fails to manage an audience a year later, despite being the home for Super Bowl 52 (with the Pats in), the Olympics in PeyongChang, South Korea, the Triple Crown and the NHL Stanley Cup Finals (if the Bruins get in), then this NBC O&O experiment would just be a failure, IMO.

If the audience won't hold, then forget it. NBC (10) Boston will just be a failure, despite NBC continuing to want to have an O&O in Boston.

All right.

WBTS is a struggle after a year. If somehow WBTS fails to manage an audience a year later, despite being the home for Super Bowl 52 (with the Pats in), the Olympics in PeyongChang, South Korea, the Triple Crown and the NHL Stanley Cup Finals (if the Bruins get in), then this NBC O&O experiment would just be a failure, IMO.

If the audience won't hold, then forget it. NBC (10) Boston will just be a failure, despite NBC continuing to want to have an O&O in Boston.

But what happens if it’s a failure? Is there any recourse at this point or are they at the point of no return?

But what happens if it’s a failure? Is there any recourse at this point or are they at the point of no return?

I'm not too sure. At this point with WHDH noticing its growing success as an Independent, I think its at a point of no return unfortunately for WBTS, but fortunately for WHDH.

The winner is really WHDH and as long as their #1 or #2 in key timeslots (as an Independent for god sakes!), there's no way they'll want NBC back.

When NBC went into this they said they were prepared for a five year desert. Nobody on Planet Reality expected breathtaking ratings in the first year or first three. I think they have exactly what they expected, for now. Also remember this is not their first time slogging through this kind of thing. KNTV took years to turn into a viable competitor.

Considering the trend of owners like Sinclair and Nexstar trying to turn stations into virtual ghost towns, Boston is an interesting case of owners like NBC and Ansin throwing money and resources at properties to see what happens. As an industry, we should want to see them all succeed instead of betting on who fails.

I don’t think NBC cares as long as they break even.

I think I’ll expand my thought process on the entire possibility of breaking even. I’m assuming entire Boston operation as a business unit with NECN, Telemundo Nueva Inglaterra and NBC 10 could break even within a few years (with startup costs included) with the size of their operations.

Even with the ad rates going down due to the number of competitors advertisers will still flock to NBC and Telemundo as they are winning the demo during primetime and their sports rights (which will sell at a premium)

Every two years NBC has the Olympics which is a cash cow for their stations, Sunday Night Football, is going to likely have part of Thursday Night Football next season, the Premiere League (I think Boston is a good market for the games) and many of the big golf championships.

Telemundo last year went a number of weeks winning the primetime demo and (I think) total viewers - they made a big deal out of it - however I haven’t seen the recent numbers. With Telemundo Nuevo Inglaterra expanding its territory they’ll now make money from the Connecticut market for little effort (aside from purchasing the license and adding a reporter). Their competition is Univision which produces five hours a week of news versus their ten hours. Plus their reporters and some of NBC 10’s are bilingual (do bilingual reporters get paid more?) and can be shared. Telemundo has the Olympics, the Premiere League, the World Cup and other soccer related championships.

And now NECN is partly subsidized per se with the NBC Boston simulcasts and reporters - thereby reducing the costs of operation.

I think I’ll expand my thought process on the entire possibility of breaking even. I’m assuming entire Boston operation as a business unit with NECN, Telemundo Nueva Inglaterra and NBC 10 could break even within a few years (with startup costs included) with the size of their operations.

Even with the ad rates going down due to the number of competitors advertisers will still flock to NBC and Telemundo as they are winning the demo during primetime and their sports rights (which will sell at a premium)

Every two years NBC has the Olympics which is a cash cow for their stations, Sunday Night Football, is going to likely have part of Thursday Night Football next season, the Premiere League (I think Boston is a good market for the games) and many of the big golf championships.

Telemundo last year went a number of weeks winning the primetime demo and (I think) total viewers - they made a big deal out of it - however I haven’t seen the recent numbers. With Telemundo Nuevo Inglaterra expanding its territory they’ll now make money from the Connecticut market for little effort (aside from purchasing the license and adding a reporter). Their competition is Univision which produces five hours a week of news versus their ten hours. Plus their reporters and some of NBC 10’s are bilingual (do bilingual reporters get paid more?) and can be shared. Telemundo has the Olympics, the Premiere League, the World Cup and other soccer related championships.

And now NECN is partly subsidized per se with the NBC Boston simulcasts and reporters - thereby reducing the costs of operation.

IMHO, had they not already had NECN already in place (and major Comcast market), the game would have significantly different.

Trust me, NBC's making money in Boston, even if WBTS is losing money - heck sometimes you intentionally lose money in one place to make money elsewhere...

J

IMHO, had they not already had NECN already in place (and major Comcast market), the game would have significantly different.

Trust me, NBC's making money in Boston, even if WBTS is losing money - heck sometimes you intentionally lose money in one place to make money elsewhere...

J

Like the possibility of it’s original crappy signal could cause cable subscriptions to increase.

Based on Cox's love for FOX, I'd say you could see WFXT going NBC if it is indeed a failure. Would open up WHDH to finally get FOX like WSVN.

Archived