AT&T buying Time Warner?

Georgie56

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nevermind Speedy Gonzales, how's about getting some of that old Hanna-Barbera stuff out there that's not already? Warner Bros. is just cheap and won't shell out for the Capitol Hi-Q rights...

What H-B stuff has not already been released?

Unless you are looking for the "lost " episodes of Partridge Family in Outer Space i'm pretty sure it's all been shown on CN or Boomerang...

Nevermind Speedy Gonzales, how's about getting some of that old Hanna-Barbera stuff out there that's not already? Warner Bros. is just cheap and won't shell out for the Capitol Hi-Q rights...

Do you seriously want to open that can of worms? I don't want to see any more Scooby-Doo clones EVER again! ESPECIALLY ON BOOMERANG!

Do you seriously want to open that can of worms? I don't want to see any more Scooby-Doo clones EVER again! ESPECIALLY ON BOOMERANG!

well we are getting a new wacky races in 2017 so no that's probably not going to happen again. as far as this deal goes i could see yahoo using CNN instead of ABC because AT&T still uses a yahoo page. its too bad HLN is left in the blank with nothing of what it used to have in the 90s.

I meant the Huck Hound and Quick Draw McGraw stuff that hasn't been released yet.

I'm aware that most of their material (worth watching or not) is out there, I just want that stuff out there and not sitting in the WB vaults forever.

And I'm sorry, but I'm pretty sure they already put Jabberjaw and such on DVD.

well we are getting a new wacky races in 2017 so no that's probably not going to happen again. as far as this deal goes i could see yahoo using CNN instead of ABC because AT&T still uses a yahoo page. its too bad HLN is left in the blank with nothing of what it used to have in the 90s.

I'm hoping Turner sees some sense, shuts down HLN, and uses the old space to expand Boomerang- they need the carriage, and considering HLN's a waste of time and money, Boomerang would do far better.

I'm hoping Turner sees some sense, shuts down HLN, and uses the old space to expand Boomerang- they need the carriage, and considering HLN's a waste of time and money, Boomerang would do far better.

Even if Boomerang is largely pushing the cartoon classics aside for newer cartoons like Teen Titans Go! Pokemon and Sonic Boom? Most adults don't that they're doing that right now as a non-linear network.

Hell, most adolescents like me don't like that they're doing it right now.

So I respectfully disagree this would work.

• 3 months later...
As the regulatory vetting is happening regarding the AT&T deal, Time Warner is already doing something about its sole licensed TV asset.

Meredith is buying Channel 17 outright for $70M.

WPCH became Turner's bastard station anyway.

It's the end of an era in the ATL, but it was time.

What are the odds they dump the 46 position as soon as the sale closes and rebrand as CBS 17? I doubt you pay $70 million just for a virtual channel number and spectrum flip it (especially when their signal ranges are duplicative), but you can shove a whole lot of Katz/Luken networks and the various court shows WPCH carries now onto 46 and maybe try to abandon everything that's gone wrong with WGCL, including gimmick call letters that never aged well at all.

What are the odds they dump the 46 position as soon as the sale closes and rebrand as CBS 17? I doubt you pay $70 million just for a virtual channel number and spectrum flip it (especially when their signal ranges are duplicative), but you can shove a whole lot of Katz/Luken networks and the various court shows WPCH carries now onto 46 and maybe try to abandon everything that's gone wrong with WGCL, including gimmick call letters that never aged well at all.

It won't happen, CBS renewed its affiliation contract with Meredith's CBS affiliates recently, so CBS will not likely move to 17.

The odds of that happening... slim.

The odds of that happening... slim.

Actually, I think mrschimpf is right. WPCH would be a fresh start, a reset for Meredith in Atlanta. They'd be stupid not to move CBS over to 17 and get rid of WGCL or dump all the crappy programming there. They're not spending $70 million bucks on a channel just to air crappy syndies...

Actually, I think mrschimpf is right. WPCH would be a fresh start, a reset for Meredith in Atlanta. They'd be stupid not to move CBS over to 17 and get rid of WGCL or dump all the crappy programming there. They're not spending $70 million bucks on a channel just to air crappy syndies...

While moving CBS to a much lower position on the TV dial (going from 46 to 17) would be beneficial for Meredith to do while eliminating a signal (since WPCH and WGCL's digital frequencies are pretty much the same), unless they decide to blow up the news operation and start over, what the viewers get out of it is essentially a hat trick.

I think this was done this way for tax reasons but in reality it was Time-Warner buying AOL. Time-Warner and AOL merged, giving AOL half of the shares in a new company. Steve Case and his shareholders made off like bandits. Time Warner shareholders, such as Ted Turner, saw their investment cut in half.

In fact this was one of the reasons that WCW (World Championship Wrestling) literally got sold for pennies on the dollar because Ted Turner literally got fired from the company that he created.

While moving CBS to a much lower position on the TV dial (going from 46 to 17) would be beneficial for Meredith to do while eliminating a signal (since WPCH and WGCL's digital frequencies are pretty much the same), unless they decide to blow up the news operation and start over, what the viewers get out of it is essentially a hat trick.

Spot on. I do think that moving over CBS to WPCH will get rid of that stigma that has been associated with "WGCL" "CBS46" for many many years. It may be a hat trick, but I think it's one that's necessary. They really have nothing to lose.

Spot on. I do think that moving over CBS to WPCH will get rid of that stigma that has been associated with "WGCL" "CBS46" for many many years. It may be a hat trick, but I think it's one that's necessary. They really have nothing to lose.

Yeah they really ought to move CBS to WPCH. I mean the 700 Club on a CBS affiliate is just laughable. Only good syndie programming WGCL has is Inside Edition.

In fact this was one of the reasons that WCW (World Championship Wrestling) literally got sold for pennies on the dollar because Ted Turner literally got fired from the company that he created.

The death of WCW still blows my mind. Yep, had Ted not been ousted, he would not have allowed that to happen.

TimeWarner ruined Turner Broadcasting. Ted never should have sold

TimeWarner ruined Turner Broadcasting. Ted never should have sold

Amen! Ted's maverick spirit never should have given way to Time Warner's rudderless blandness. It's what happens when a company whose sole reason for existing is as a marriage of convenience (Time Inc. didn't want to be subject to a hostile takeover, Warner Communications's Steve Ross wanted to get Chris-Craft's Herb Siegel off his back) gets a hold of anything interesting.

Archived