Oldest news music still in use?

ColDayNews

I heard WCMH use a cut from The Tower (the NBC O&O package from the early 2000s) mistakenly for a breaking news cut-in a few months ago. I know WBNS used This Is Your News for a long time (1998-February) and it still sees occasional use in promos (especially for The Big 10TV Toy Drive). I heard TiYN today during a 10TV promo thanking Columbus for their donations to the holiday toy drive, which inspired me to ask what the oldest music in continuous or occasional use that any of you know of is.

EDITED:

Impact survives on WTVT for weather segments. WTOC would have been at the 30 years with original "Newschannel" cuts however thanks to Raycom they switched to Arnold theme.

WJW use to air cuts of Fusion and Power news till 2009 and late as 2011. WKYC used tower cuts after first Gannett graphics in 2008.

WPVI--Move Closer To Your world (1972)

WJZ-Chorma Cues(1987)

WLS-WLS News Package(1992)

WPLG-The One and Only(1993)

WABC-Eyewitness News (1993)

KSAT-The One and Only(1994)

WRAL-In Sink (1994)

KABC-Eyewitness News (1995)

WAVY- Newswire (1995)

WOOD-Primetime News(1995)

WDBJ-Impact (1996) still using V2 cuts as of today

KEYT-Impact(1997)

KUSI-The One and Only (1997)

If it were continuous use, WPVI would win but for that week in 1996 that they introduced the London Philharmonic update, then dropped it after viewer outcry.

Does it just have to be the same package? The OP makes it sound like it actually has to be old cuts. Is WJZ still using any of the original Chroma Cues cuts?

SFTV, KRON Instant Classics may date back to 1995, but remember that they only brought it back in 2006, after they dropped Overture during the SESAC-alypse. (Though it's still noteworthy that they brought back an 11-year-old package, with no updates, after 5 years of not using it, and have continued to use it for longer than they used it originally.)

WAVY was still using the forecast sounder from Newswire V.1 (1992) up until recently...I believe they only quit using it a few months ago. (Not sure if the sounder actually dates back to 1992 or was part of the 2001 updates though, so it may not count.)

WAVY was still using the forecast sounder from Newswire V.1 (1992) up until recently...I believe they only quit using it a few months ago. (Not sure if the sounder actually dates back to 1992 or was part of the 2001 updates though, so it may not count.)

Yep, that was a heavily spliced cut from the 2-CD 2001 updates that was used. It was actually the opening intro, looped twice then a cut to the end logo tag of the music with the thunder sfx. The cut in question was a :30 second theme that may or may not have been used anywhere else, besides for the chopped down weather sting thing.

WAVY/WVBT is still only ones using Newswire. WEEK dropped it for 360 theme back in the fall. WAVY is using V2. WJZ as far I know isn't using old cues cuts, then again "There's Only 1 JZ".

EDITED:

Impact survives on WTVT for weather segments. WTOC would have been at the 30 years with original "Newschannel" cuts however thanks to Raycom they switched to Arnold theme.

WJW use to air cuts of Fusion and Power news till 2009 and late as 2011. WKYC used tower cuts after first Gannett graphics in 2008.

WPVI--Move Closer To Your world (1972)

WJZ-Chorma Cues(1987)

WLS-WLS News Package(1992)

WPLG-The One and Only(1993)

WABC-Eyewitness News (1993)

KSAT-The One and Only(1994)

WRAL-In Sink (1994)

KABC-Eyewitness News (1995)

WAVY- Newswire (1995)

WOOD-Primetime News(1995)

WDBJ-Impact (1996) still using V2 cuts as of today

KEYT-Impact(1997)

KUSI-The One and Only (1997)

What's interesting is how The One and Only is virtually unrecognizable in its current form...the cut WPLG uses for its open might as well be production music. Evolution, I suppose.

WTOC would have been at the 30 years with original "Newschannel" cuts however thanks to Raycom they switched to Arnold theme.

Were they using any of the original cuts at the time they dropped it? These sound like updates from the 90s:

Pretty sure the oldest news music award goes to KBEX for the

Signature Teletype series from the AT&T production music haus (1961)

This series of high energy and dramatic cuts are still used today at KBEX-3/6

If I recall correctly KBEX hasn't migrated to the digital wire service feeds and transmitter man Dan-Dan has to physically swap the line whenever someone has to make a call.

If I recall correctly KBEX hasn't migrated to the digital wire service feeds and transmitter man Dan-Dan has to physically swap the line whenever someone has to make a call.

It got tricky for him (Dan-Dan The Transmitter Man) when he would drunk dial the news department.

Poor guy almost strangled himself.

Were they using any of the original cuts at the time they dropped it? These sound like updates from the 90s:

Right until the end, they used at least of couple of original 80's series cuts as bumpers. Considering News Music Now probably doesn't have every theme or major variation uploaded and since it's a pack that I do not have, I can give a couple of examples based on what they have uploaded. The Series 1 emotional and upbeat cuts were both used going to random breaks during the newscasts. It is possible that the vamp from the Series I Noon Open was used somewhere as well. Not 100% sure about that one, but I am sure about the upbeat and emotional cuts being used. :)

Random thought, amazing how much the same style was shared between series I of this package, the Hello News 83 updates and the Catch 5 early 80's updates. Also, when I think of Newschannel, sounds from the movie Flashdance come to mind. Scary! haaaa

I think one or more of the ABC O&Os uses an Eyewitness News first gen cut here and there - which dates to 1994.

WABC probably. The bumpers clearly date to 1994, while the open and close music is 1999. Vintage at this point but I have a feeling those cuts have become iconic...

WABC probably. The bumpers clearly date to 1994, while the open and close music is 1999. Vintage at this point but I have a feeling those cuts have become iconic...

They only used the EWN Series 1 cuts for the weekend morning news after a while, and they got rid of them entirely around 2008-09ish. The bumpers they use for everything now are part of Series 4.

They only used the EWN Series 1 cuts for the weekend morning news after a while, and they got rid of them entirely around 2008-09ish. The bumpers they use for everything now are part of Series 4.

Don't they still use that same Series 1 cue for its "Community Calender" segment on their weekend AM show?

Don't they still use that same Series 1 cue for its "Community Calender" segment on their weekend AM show?

Not anymore, no. I had heard that cut for years, and didn't know it came from a larger theme until I saw an old KABC close with the long cut of EWN Series 1 on Youtube.

WTOC used the Series 1 "Grand Open" as the close up until the switch to Overture.

A lot of Gari's old themes are shared throughout different packages. The "Grand Open" listed here is also used in the Champion News Pack. Also the Series 1 political cut in newschannel is used as a couple primary themes in Good News.

Right until the end, they used at least of couple of original 80's series cuts as bumpers. Considering News Music Now probably doesn't have every theme or major variation uploaded and since it's a pack that I do not have, I can give a couple of examples based on what they have uploaded. The Series 1 emotional and upbeat cuts were both used going to random breaks during the newscasts. It is possible that the vamp from the Series I Noon Open was used somewhere as well. Not 100% sure about that one, but I am sure about the upbeat and emotional cuts being used. :)

Random thought, amazing how much the same style was shared between series I of this package, the Hello News 83 updates and the Catch 5 early 80's updates. Also, when I think of Newschannel, sounds from the movie Flashdance come to mind. Scary! haaaa

WTOC used the Series 1 "Grand Open" as the close up until the switch to Overture.

A lot of Gari's old themes are shared throughout different packages. The "Grand Open" listed here is also used in the Champion News Pack. Also the Series 1 political cut in newschannel is used as a couple primary themes in Good News.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that close being used! And you're right, many of the older packages shared pollinated cuts with only the signatures being changed out and occasionally logo overlays over the music bed in places. It's my understanding that the beds were never market exclusive, but the signatures were. That's why you could have two different packages being used in the same market, that happened to share the same "music bed" portion of a theme cut. That Series 1 political cut you mentioned was also used in Great News, and at least 5 other packages. Five may be putting it mildly. That cut definitely got "around the block" if you know what I mean :D

Speaking of newschannel, do you or does anyone here know which series of News channel WAFB used in the main open before the switch to CBS Local?

Oh yeah, I forgot about that close being used! And you're right, many of the older packages shared pollinated cuts with only the signatures being changed out and occasionally logo overlays over the music bed in places. It's my understanding that the beds were never market exclusive, but the signatures were. That's why you could have two different packages being used in the same market, that happened to share the same "music bed" portion of a theme cut. That Series 1 political cut you mentioned was also used in Great News, and at least 5 other packages. Five may be putting it mildly. That cut definitely got "around the block" if you know what I mean :D

Speaking of newschannel, do you or does anyone here know which series of News channel WAFB used in the main open before the switch to CBS Local?

Huge edit: scratch everything I said if it went to your email as a notification.... I had WTOC on my mind when I posted and not WAFB! Not sure what they used, but I do know it was an updated series or New Generation cut. LoL

Hahahaha!!! I've always been confused on that. It shares some series 5 beats but I also hear some new generation in it.

Huge edit: scratch everything I said if it went to your email as a notification.... I had WTOC on my mind when I posted and not WAFB! Not sure what they used, but I do know it was an updated series or New Generation cut. LoL

That teletype sounder has always been used as background noise for the legacy Group W all-news stations. KYW 1060 and 1010 WINS adopted it in 1965 and still use it; KFWB 980 adopted it in 1968 and used it until 2009, when it flipped to talk radio (after was ultimately placed into a dispersal trust).

Archived