Oldest sets still in use?

AJClementeFan69

KFOR-TV their current set for the most part hasn't changed a whole lot (the only thing that has changed to the set has been the addition to the duratrons setting as a divider between the newsroom and the set) and that's about it.

The good news is that old outdated set will only remain until sometime in August as they're moving into the new building and they're going to get a new set based off of sister station WPIX in New York (btw who designed that set for WPIX?) if someone can tell me let me know, thanks

THANK GOD... And hopefully new graphics to boot.. I refuse to watch their severe weather coverage online because their graphics suck ass majorly... They are stuck in the late 90's-early 2000s with that crap...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
THANK GOD... And hopefully new graphics to boot.. I refuse to watch their severe weather coverage online because their graphics suck ass majorly... They are stuck in the late 90's-early 2000s with that crap...

They did replace the graphics they've used since 2008 with the new ones last year but you're right the whole Weather Center needs an upgrade BIG time, that set hasn't changed since at least the late 90s

Not to get too far off topic, but to add to this, their graphics are HUGE.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
You mean TEGNA. But it would have made this list 2 years ago if it existed then.

That's not entirely true. KUSA debuted a new set in 1992 when it moved into the current building on Speer. You can see that set

. They added duratrans and a different desk about
. You are right that in
, they swapped out the desk again for that big wooden one, and they updated the middle section with a fake newsroom backdrop that looked a lot like what NBC Nightly News had at the time. The rest of the set dated back to 1992. That configuration stuck around pretty much unchanged until 2004.

The

was all-new and designed by Jack Morton/PDG. It also had a fake control room backdrop during the day, but nothing from the old set remained. They repainted the floor, got rid of the control room duratrans for daytime city ones, and replaced the sports monitor all around ~2012. That set did stay in place until last year.

Holy buttery biscuits, KUSA has been in HD since 2005???

April 2004. Third station in the country to be in HD. WRAL was the first; not sure who was second. KUSA the first with an HD helicopter, though the ENG trucks stayed 16:9 upscaled for a while.

April 2004. Third station in the country to be in HD. WRAL was the first; not sure who was second. KUSA the first with an HD helicopter, though the ENG trucks stayed 16:9 upscaled for a while.

Second might have been KOMO

Erm, I thought it went like this:

1996 - WRAL transmits first HD signal (WRAL-HD), first in the nation

1997 - KOMO transmits HD signal, (assumed second?)

1999 - KOMO begins regular HD newscasts, first in the nation

2000 - WRAL begins regular HD newscasts

2004 - KUSA begins regular HD newscasts, first in their market

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Wow, I had no idea stations had gone HD that early. I figured 2006 or so was the start. Did these first few stations go HD and later upgrade their HD to a more HD, HD? I'd imagine the technology advanced quite a bit after it first started being used and they'd want to make adjustments.

Wow, I had no idea stations had gone HD that early. I figured 2006 or so was the start. Did these first few stations go HD and later upgrade their HD to a more HD, HD? I'd imagine the technology advanced quite a bit after it first started being used and they'd want to make adjustments.

These early bird stations, regardless of whoever came first, would have to go through the inevitable gradual process of replacing their common SD equipment and converting their once-new 720p HD equipment to 1080p "Full HD" as the years rolled by.

(Personally, I would consider KUSA the first station to begin the modern-day HD rollout as we know it today. WRAL and KOMO's transition to high definition was based solely on experimental grounds.)

These early bird stations, regardless of whoever came first, would have to go through the inevitable gradual process of replacing their common SD equipment and converting their once-new 720p HD equipment to 1080p "Full HD" as the years rolled by.

(Personally, I would consider KUSA the first station to begin the modern-day HD rollout as we know it today. WRAL and KOMO's transition to high definition was based solely on experimental grounds.)

KUSA actually used full HD cameras in the air and in the studio.

http://media-visions.com/itv-kusa.html

Erm, I thought it went like this:

1996 - WRAL transmits first HD signal (WRAL-HD), first in the nation

1997 - KOMO transmits HD signal, (assumed second?)

1999 - KOMO begins regular HD newscasts, first in the nation

2000 - WRAL begins regular HD newscasts

2004 - KUSA begins regular HD newscasts, first in their market

Correct me if I'm wrong...

I'm not too sure on specifics, so that may very well be right. I based my comment on that I remember KUSA ran promos back then saying they were the third station in the country in high definition, and I knew WRAL was the first (albeit even if it was mostly an experimental endeavor). I would agree that KUSA would be the first in the modern day HD rollout though, as you said. I don't know as much about WRAL and KOMO's HD progress, but KUSA's HD debut was pretty much the whole thing in one day — new set, partially upgraded graphics, HD branding everywhere, HD signal (though still limited access), and the majority of video in the newscast was in HD. And yes, they went head-first into 1080 over 720 too. I think the only thing that stayed in SD at first were the live ENG truck signals, though they were still 16:9 upscaled. Nobody else had HD newscasts in the market until KCNC's switch in April 2008.

Again, I could be wrong, especially as our house didn't have an HD signal until about a year later. But I do remember watching KUSA's newscast in HD for the first time and being amazed at how much better it looked. Looking back now, I forgot how many people (myself included) were skeptical at the promise that HD signal would really be *that* much better.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived