Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

I was hoping that Fox would be the white knight and buy Tribune not Sinclair but it doesn't look like that will happen. Hoping out hope that FOX17 will be sold to a 3RD party but I feel Sinclair shell Cunningham will take FOX17 license. Can't see no other station taking Fox maybe WOTV but I doubt it even know I'm sure WZZM would like to be the sole ABC station in West Michigan.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or just wait until Sinclair implodes from debt a few years down the road. FOX will just clean up the scraps and mess.

Unless this is a cash deal?

Oh who knows now.

It's funny (well, not really) because iHeartRadio could FINALLY declare bankruptcy as early as this week. Cumulus will soon follow. Terrestrial radio is dying on the vine. Soon, OTA television will.

I'm right now pooping and freaking out as to what will happen to WPIX, KTLA and WGN (BONUS WJW) once its under Sincrap/Sinfuck/whatever you wanna call it control.

WJW was owned by a freaking junk bonds dirtbag (George Gillett) back in the late 80s. They've seen worse.

There are four other stations in the market that would surely hire him at the first opportunity if they let him go.

Without a doubt. It just wouldn't be a shock to see them fire him, or force him to quit, because he ascribes to AGW/climate change. I forget what James Spann's stance on it is, though.

Andre Bernier is a climate change denier, so he's safe for the most part. But thank goodness Dick Goddard doesn't have to see this.

Guys.

Guys.

Guys.

It sucks but it's not the end of local TV news. There will be a WGN Morning News. The ex-Tribune stations will survive in some form or another.

Not concerned about the political leanings (ironically I have libertarian/conservative leanings.), but more of the way Sincrap operates.

Bingo.

I'm certainly no fan of the way Sinclair touts its political leanings but at the same time it's indicative of the times we live in. The era of the quote-unquote "non partisan" media ended with the dawn of Fox News Channel. The rise of social media blew what remained of that concept to bits. If you are getting news, there is a damned good chance it comes from a particular point of view, left or right. I watch John Oliver, I am informed by John Oliver, but even he admits his show comes from a certain place. And you know what? That's okay, just as long as it's reasonably clear it has that slant. THAT is where my problems with Fox News lie - their claim of "Fair and Balanced".

But you're right on the real concern - Sinclair's methods of operation. Never, ever forget that this was the company that attempted to farm out weather to their headquarters. Never, ever forget News Central and the damage it did to the stations they tried it on. If they tried it once, I can't put it past them to try it twice.

I am not so convinced WPHL will go to FOX when this is all done. PA is now a politically important swing state and Sinclair will, when the smoke clears, have a station in every PA market. Why would they give up revenue in the 4th media market with no conflicts AND a 10pm News already farmed out to the 800 lb gorilla in the region that, in just a few years, is now tying and occasionally beating WTXF in the slot? That is an easy decision to keep.

I think that's an important point. WPHL might not be a huge "get" along the lines of WPIX, KTLA, and WGN... but it has to be making money at little cost. Unless they absolutely have to get rid of it, I would bet that Sinclair keeps WPHL.

Now, if it has to be sold off, I will go there and say that yes, I can kind of see ABC having some interest. But again, that's me squinting. I think I have something in my eye.

Last thing--we're all assuming the duopoly rules are going to stay the same. I don't think that's a wise assumption in this political climate.

I have a feeling that you're right, sadly. Especially since I doubt our president counts Sinclair as Fake Media.

I'm right now pooping and freaking out as to what will happen to WPIX, KTLA and WGN (BONUS WJW) once its under Sincrap/Sinfuck/whatever you wanna call it control.

Serious question, how does this affect your everyday life? Why are you taking this so personally?

Without a doubt. It just wouldn't be a shock to see them fire him, or force him to quit, because he ascribes to AGW/climate change. I forget what James Spann's stance on it is, though.

Andre Bernier is a climate change denier, so he's safe for the most part. But thank goodness Dick Goddard doesn't have to see this.

I know there are a few climate "activists" who work at Sinclair stations, but mostly in the smaller markets where there is less micro-management. Then again, I don't see someone like John Morales, Janice Huff or Jim Gandy (considered the most outspoken on the issue) accepting a job at a Sinclair station though.

I have a feeling that you're right, sadly. Especially since I doubt our president counts Sinclair as Fake Media.

Trump wouldn't be making the decision here. Besides, he's 70 and likely can't read to save his life. It's Altij Paji (or however you spell his name)... that nutjob is determined to be as friendly to big business - and the rich Republicans that own them - as possible.

The hyperpartisan mood of the US will make the Democrat reaction even more pronounced when the pendulum of political power eventually swings the other way, as it inevitably will.

Serious question, how does this affect your everyday life? Why are you taking this so personally?

Yeah, I mean, I don't like this deal that much. And I live in Cleveland and grew up watching Channel 8.

It's a business deal. It was probably inevitable from the second rumors were bandied about. I'm not angry to the point where I can barely function, tho. Life goes on.

Life. Goes. On.

At some point, I started cheering on Sinclair just for the salt it causes around here. Some people get waaay too invested.

I have no salt; Sinclair's management of WCGV/WVTV has pretty much been quiet (outside of the deserved UPN pulling in 1998 that didn't bother many non-Trek fans) and they've held serve in a Weigel home market, while in Green Bay their WLUK management has been status quo outside the required stuff corporate makes them carry, and they've helped WCWF well leapfrog WACY in technical quality and scheduling, something I couldn't see in 2007 when ACME was barely running it. Heck, WVTV had satellite issues with a Supergirl episode a few months back and I got a personal apology on Twitter from their social team, so at least they have good personnel.

I'd love to see WITI go back to Fox, but I see way too many reasons that SBG shouldn't get them, including giving them a station network in Wisconsin that scales well with Quincy, Scripps, and the ad-hoc 'UpFront' network of stations, definite improvements in ATSC 3.0, and hopefully something that finally can rival the Scripps/Gannett junket in coverage of a certain football team (maybe even taking said rights to the coaches show and team programming). That, and WITI under Tribune has been a disaster with bad graphics packages, insufferable shows of happy talk, and so much corporate wheel-spilling. My SBG experience is definitely different than most, but I think they get a bit of undeserved guff; in most markets they're just fine as long as they're meeting what Hunt Valley wants out of them.

Look for trade-ups in St. Louis, Greensboro and Norfolk. Sinclair would be stupid not to at this point. Heck, we may even get the "ABC 11" we've all been dreaming of for years!

WITI could easily absorb WVTV and the non-license assets of WCGV.

As for the others, I'll leave that to the speculatron. I highly doubt that they would part with KOMO given that it's practically their west coast hub.

Norfolk would be an outstanding opportunity for Sinclair to sell their MNT "affiliate" WTVZ to Tegna and keep the Tribune stations. That would allow WVEC to compete with the rest of the market in their off-hour news products (late morning/early evening).

That, and WITI under Tribune has been a disaster with bad graphics packages, insufferable shows of happy talk, and so much corporate wheel-spilling.

The problems at WITI started much earlier, possibly even as far back as when FOX owned them. Under FOX, the local team half-arsed the FOX O&O package and did an ill-conceived "refresh" of Studio A. Under Local TV, they improved slightly, getting new studios A and B and dropping the half-arsed O&O package, but replacing it with the clunky look they have now.

As far as "happy talk" at WITI, that's been their style for a *long* time. I'd argue that they haven't really had a straight news presentation since the Gillette days.

The biggest problem with Tribune is that they just haven't seemed to change *anything* from the LocalTV days... other than the ads for WGN America stuff disguised as news stories that they've run from time to time. Other than that, you really couldn't tell the station was sold at all.

For me, it's all about WGN. Why? Five reasons:

1. I'm afraid of the WGN Morning News turning into another garden variety morning show. There's no other morning show like it.

2. I don't want Tom Skilling forced out because of his views on climate change.

3. No more Skycam 9. Sinclair hates choppers.

4. Right-wing commentary and snark from the anchors and conservative think pieces running at the end of newscasts.

5. Sinclair's livestreaming is awful. I try to live stream some of their newscasts and their video players suck.

I hope the Cubs, Sox, Bulls, and Blackhawks won't disappear, seeing that Sinclair realizes that WGN is an independent station again.

The problems at WITI started much earlier, possibly even as far back as when FOX owned them. Under FOX, the local team half-arsed the FOX O&O package and did an ill-conceived "refresh" of Studio A. Under Local TV, they improved slightly, getting new studios A and B and dropping the half-arsed O&O package, but replacing it with the clunky look they have now.

As far as "happy talk" at WITI, that's been their style for a *long* time. I'd argue that they haven't really had a straight news presentation since the Gillette days.

The biggest problem with Tribune is that they just haven't seemed to change *anything* from the LocalTV days... other than the ads for WGN America stuff disguised as news stories that they've run from time to time. Other than that, you really couldn't tell the station was sold at all.

A few of the legacy LocalTV and NYT stations + WTVR had some changes -- like new graphics and/or new sets -- but not all.

WJW was handled not that dissimilar to WITI... a duratrans refresh to the O&O set and an in-house graphics package that was 16:9 friendly (that honestly is better looking than the garbage graphics the current Fox O&Os are forced to run).

If I would be concerned about anything, it's WJW's 40-year plus involvement with the Dick Goddard Woolybear Festival in Vermilion, Ohio every October. (I forget the level of involvement the station actually has; Vermilion's chamber of commerce IIRC does most of the grunt work.)

Here we go..... It's OFFICIAL!

[MEDIA=twitter]861566591573479425[/MEDIA]

Stelter posted this press release and an e-mail from the Sinclair CEO to the employees.

[MEDIA=twitter]861567802607628290[/MEDIA]

[MEDIA=twitter]861569244651286528[/MEDIA]

A sad day for media in the Windy City.

Archived