Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
CLTV folds before it's separated from WGN. It's barely viable, as is. Hardly is it worth the investment for a new owner to move their operations and build a new team.

I could see that happening as well. Just thought I would put what made the most since if Tribune would sell it.

Too much thinking here.

If the Fox-financed Blackstone deal goes through, the new entity will be a Tribune Broadcasting II - legally separate from Fox, but with capital from Fox to run it. And they'd be in it, by and large, for the long term.

WGN 720 stays in the family like WBAL 1090 for Hearst and the Fisher radio stations for Sinclair.

How do you know this?

Here is My Opinion on what is Best for Tribune to sell its stations with Hearst as the Main Partner.

WPIX, KTLA, WGN, WDCW, WTVR,WTKR, WGNT, KCPQ, KZJO, KPLR, KTVI, WXIN,WTTV, WPMT, WITI ,WGHP, and WGN America should go to Hearst.

WSFL, KDAF, and KWGN to CBS Corp.

KIAH, KRCW, and WXMI To Tenga

KDVR,WJW, KTXL, and KSWB, To Fox.

WTIC,WCCT, WNEP, WHNT, WQAD, KFSM,KXNW , CLTV, This TV, and Antenna TV To Sinclair

WDAF, WGNO, WNOL to Scripps

KSTU to Bonneville International

KFOR, KAUT, WREG, WHO to Cox

WGN (AM) goes to Entercom to be run similar to WCBS and WNIS (which Entercom will acquire with CBS Radio)

So you're proposing that Hearst, who has the #1 station in Milwaukee and Indianapolis, purchase two highly competitive FOX affiliates in those markets, that Scripps buys a garbage-bin ABC affiliate that is at worst a fourth-place station and has been an afterthought throughout its entire history?

That's not really how it works.

*plus, owning three stations in Indy would be a no-no

So you're proposing that Hearst, who has the #1 station in Milwaukee and Indianapolis, purchase two highly competitive FOX affiliates in those markets, that Scripps buys a garbage-bin ABC affiliate that is at worst a fourth-place station and has been an afterthought throughout its entire history?

Hearst could turn both Stations around in Milwaukee and Indianapolis and Scripps turns around (I"m assuming you are talking about New Orleans) WGNO and makes it competitive. BTW, Hearst would own 2 Stations in Indianapolis and Milwaukee.

so you're proposing that the rank of a station in the market has anything to do with purchases of other stations in the market? that's not really how it works.

Too much thinking here.

If the Fox-financed Blackstone deal goes through, the new entity will be a Tribune Broadcasting II - legally separate from Fox, but with capital from Fox to run it. And they'd be in it, by and large, for the long term.

WGN 720 stays in the family like WBAL 1090 for Hearst and the Fisher radio stations for Sinclair.

That would still be attributable for Fox in terms of cap and ownership though I believe.

Hearst could turn both Stations around in Milwaukee and Indianapolis and Scripps turns around (I"m assuming you are talking about New Orleans) WGNO and makes it competitive.

"Turn around?" WITI and WXIN are already extremely competitive in their market at last check (#1/strong #2 for several newscasts). What's there to turn around?

WGNO is a lost cause at this point.

BTW, Hearst would own 2 Stations in Indianapolis and Milwaukee.

That's my point. Stations don't just create duopolies simply because they don't have one in a specific market. It has to make strategic sense for both parties.

CLTV folds before it's separated from WGN. It's barely viable, as is. Hardly is it worth the investment for a new owner to move their operations and build a new team.

I say they keep it up until however the Cubs negotiations shake out for 2019; if the Cubs decide to start an RSN, the structure and basic infrastructure is already all there for them to buy off Tribune II or whoever gets it (though it would be CSN Philly all over again as CLTV has no satellite carriage on purpose).

That is some Ciehola-like nonsense. It's not going to happen. Entercom in any case can't get WGN if they have WSCR and WBBM coming in and own three 50k blowtorches; that's why WMAQ died and the old WSCR signal was spun off in 2000.

I would honestly see Nexstar try to buy Tribune. It's like there'd be no change.

Except for that one generic guy who does individual stand-ups for EVERY NEXSTAR STATION before the Super Bowl with every Nexstar station's microphone flag. LOL.

That would still be attributable for Fox in terms of cap and ownership though I believe.

Depends. The Republicans will let a Sinclair-Tribune deal go through with a rubber stamp and a wink; they'd do the same with a Fox/Blackstone-Tribune deal.

I hate to say it that way, but either deal is attractive and advantageous to one political party... the party that has control of the car keys ATM.

Here is My Opinion on what is Best for Tribune to sell its stations with Hearst as the Main Partner.

WPIX, KTLA, WGN, WDCW, WTVR,WTKR, WGNT, KCPQ, KZJO, KPLR, KTVI, WXIN,WTTV, WPMT, WITI ,WGHP, and WGN America should go to Hearst.

WTIC,WCCT, WNEP, WHNT, WQAD, KFSM,KXNW , CLTV, This TV, and Antenna TV To Sinclair

WGN (AM) goes to Entercom to be run similar to WCBS and WNIS (which Entercom will acquire with CBS Radio)

My goal was to give these stations a chance they wouldn't have with Sinclair.

It seems like FOX is trying to do what even Sinclair an Nexstar haven't tried...running a partially owned company alongside themselves. Imagine if Nexstar invested a piece in Mission or Sinclair had a stake in Cunningham, Deerfield or Howard Stirk.

Such a deal would likely be considered dual ownership. Even Newport had to spin off WOAI to their sidecar High Plains television because Newport's backers, Providence Equity owned a stake in Univision at the time, and due to them owning a top 4 station in San Antonio necessitated the move.

My goal was to give these stations a chance they wouldn't have with Sinclair.

Except for WTIC,WCCT, WNEP, WHNT, WQAD, KFSM, and KXNW, apparently. You threw them (and three cable channels) to the wolves Sinclair.

I know Cox owns WHBQ, I thought Cox would want a duopoly with WREG in that market since they are the only group without one.

Uh, WHBQ and WREG fall under the top-4 requirements, so unless Ajit Pai decides to change the in-market rules, Cox couldn't legally own both.

TEGNA owns WZZM -- they can't have WXMI

The latest word is that FOX/Blackstone is only interested in the FOX affiliates that Tribune has.

Still, they could integrate stations like WGN and WPHL (if WPWR is forfeited....WPHL is fair game)

An issue could be WTTV since it's tied to WXIN at the hip. Splitting them would be an issue unless one of the other stations in town takes them in.

As for the rest.....we may be back to Sinclair being interested in them.

The latest word is that FOX/Blackstone is only interested in the FOX affiliates that Tribune has.

Still, they could integrate stations like WGN and WPHL (if WPWR is forfeited....WPHL is fair game)

An issue could be WTTV since it's tied to WXIN at the hip. Splitting them would be an issue unless one of the other stations in town takes them in.

As for the rest.....we may be back to Sinclair being interested in them.

The TVNewscheck article seems to imply that they're interesting in acquiring Tribune, keeping the FOX affiliates and spinning off the rest. But, they need to purchase Tribune as whole, since they haven't given any indication that they're willing to sell the stations piecemeal.

Should FOX/Blackstone succeed, then this opens up the door to many more suitors that otherwise wouldn't have made a run at Tribune due to financial limitations/and or suitors that are only interested in a few of the assets.

Honestly, this scenario is the best possible outcome. Yes, Sinclair might take on a few of those "spun-off" stations, but it wouldn't have complete control of Tribune which could have dire consequences for the business.

The TVNewscheck article seems to imply that they're interesting in acquiring Tribune, keeping the FOX affiliates and spinning off the rest. But, they need to purchase Tribune as whole, since they haven't given any indication that they're willing to sell the stations piecemeal.

Should FOX/Blackstone succeed, then this opens up the door to many more suitors that otherwise wouldn't have made a run at Tribune due to financial limitations/and or suitors that are only interested in a few of the assets.

Honestly, this scenario is the best possible outcome. Yes, Sinclair might take on a few of those "spun-off" stations, but it wouldn't have complete control of Tribune which could have dire consequences for the business.

A few of them are easy Sinclair pickups by default. WGNO is quite likely to end up there given the likely lack of interest in a dog station, and WQAD is quite possible too to name another one due to the market size and who is already in the market. I agree that, no matter what, at least a couple of stations are heading for Sinclair.

Also that opens a few new doors - could Gray decide they want stations like WHNT, WHO, KFSM/KXNW and WNEP? (Had they not acquired KWQC off the Nexstar-Media General deal, WQAD could be in there too.) Sinclair is locked out of 2 of those 4 markets as well, and Nexstar is locked out of all of them.

Archived