Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

Could be, especially with all of the Fox affiliates that Tribune owns in some fairly big markets (Seattle, as you mentioned, plus San Diego, Denver, St. Louis, etc.), this is probably their chance to get some of these stations and make them Fox O&O.

I doubt Fox has much interest in having O&Os in Denver and Saint Louis again. They definitely have an interest in owning the Fox affiliates in NFC markets though. AFC markets or markets that are losing their football teams to LA aren't as exciting of a business proposition.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt Fox has much interest in having O&Os in Denver and Saint Louis again. They definitely have an interest in owning the Fox affiliates in NFC markets though. AFC markets or markets that are losing their football teams to LA aren't as exciting of a business proposition.

You never know. KSWB just signed on to show some Rams preseason games, plus with all that anti-Chargers sentiment here, it might be a good opportunity to snag San Diego as a secondary Rams market in California.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tribune gets straight broken up at this point - perhaps the big three stations going to Sinclair, Fox getting some of the Fox and My stations (I would not be surprised if WPHL goes to Fox - Fox would probably love to kill its higher-rated 10pm competition).

EDIT: The more I think about it the more I think a Fox-Tribune deal would be WORSE than a Sinclair one. You'd be losing three news departments in the three largest markets. Sinclair would, if nothing else, keep those departments somewhat sort of intact.

Would San Diego get behind an LA team? I know San Diegans really hate the Dodgers...

You should see the hate they have for Dean Spanos and the Chargers. Not quite the "we're going to kill him" hate, but more along the lines of if we see you, we're going to egg you and yell profanities to you.

That being said, I can see some NFL fans rooting for the Rams, just as an alternative to the Chargers. Plus, it's another way to stick it to the Chargers.

I wouldn't be surprised if Tribune gets straight broken up at this point - perhaps the big three stations going to Sinclair, Fox getting some of the Fox and My stations (I would not be surprised if WPHL goes to Fox - Fox would probably love to kill its higher-rated 10pm competition).

A Fox takeover guarantees a breakup. They probably just want the TV production studios, WGN America and KCPQ/KXJO (and WPHL for a Philly duopoly)... and a preventative means to protect Fox and the other affiliate chains from being shouted down by the Smith family. Everything else is up for grabs.

With CBS soon to be freed from their radio division, I wouldn't count them out as suitors for KTLA and WPIX.

As for Fox's spin-offs to LocalTV? Who knows. I mean, I'd be shocked if they were really going to keep them... but if it means that Cleveland is spared from the wrath of Sinclair, it's definitely manageable.

WPIX would be an easy upgrade from WLNY but what would happen to KCAL in this scenario?

You should see the hate they have for Dean Spanos and the Chargers. Not quite the "we're going to kill him" hate, but more along the lines of if we see you, we're going to egg you and yell profanities to you.

That being said, I can see some NFL fans rooting for the Rams, just as an alternative to the Chargers. Plus, it's another way to stick it to the Chargers.

I wonder how many of them switched to the Broncos or the Chiefs out of spite...

I think the non-FOX affiliates should go to Meredith or Cox if FOX buys Tribune and keeps the FOX affiliates.

And to possibly create duopolies: For example, WCCT to Meredith for WFSB. KZJO to Cox for KIRO. Etcetera.

If the Fox bid is really a JV like the article says, it'll probably be a situation where Fox "officially" takes the non-overlapping Fox/My/perhaps even some CW stations and Blackstone takes everything else but the stations are run together with the Blackstone stations acting like a shell.

I think the non-FOX affiliates should go to Meredith or Cox if FOX buys Tribune and keeps the FOX affiliates.

And to possibly create duopolies: For example, WCCT to Meredith for WFSB. KZJO to Cox for KIRO. Etcetera.

WCCT and KZJO are already part of duopolies.

I would prefer to see WJW once again owned by Fox. It would be better than Sinclair.

It would be business as usual for 8 considering its top-rated status in Cleveland, but I wouldn't be surprised if an 11pm news show would be added. That would leave WOIO in the dust.

Then again, there could be a chance someone else would buy WJW. I'd like to see Hearst make a run.

If the Fox bid is really a JV like the article says, it'll probably be a situation where Fox "officially" takes the non-overlapping Fox/My/perhaps even some CW stations and Blackstone takes everything else but the stations are run together with the Blackstone stations acting like a shell.

Reminiscent in a way of the Fox/Savoy JV that converted WALA, WLUK, KHON and WVUE to Fox affiliates, while exploiting the system like Sinclair happily does.

I wonder whether it's a serious offer or just a way to fend off Sinclair owning more Fox affiliates than anyone by a wide margin. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fox at least try to snag up KCPQ or one of the other Seattle stations though. They want KCPQ baaad.

Fox simply doesn't want a Baton Broadcasting-style hostile takeover. There's no other way to spin this.

Although the prospect of acquiring a duopoly in Seattle, a duopoly partner in Philly, a cable network in WGN-A and a TV show production studio helps to sweeten the pot.

WCCT and KZJO are already part of duopolies.

No one ever said they couldn't change duopoly partners.

Then again, there could be a chance someone else would buy WJW. I'd like to see Hearst make a run.

Hearst owning Fox affiliates would be weird at first, but I guess we could get used to it. That said, I could see Hearst being a contender for Tribune's midsize-market non-Fox stations such as WREG, WTKR/WGNT, WTVR, WQAD, etc.

Respectfully, I hope 21st Century Fox would agree to buy Seattle's KCPQ and KZJO from Tribune Media, so that both stations may become Seattle's second and third network-owned stations, respectively, behind the CBS-owned KSTW CW 11. Just saying.

AFC markets or markets that are losing their football teams to LA aren't as exciting of a business proposition.

Fox stations in AFC markets only 2 games each season their team, but they might get more with cross flexing between CBS and FOX

There are a couple of issues Fox would have to address in a potential Tribune deal.

Fox already owns duopolies in some large Tribune markets. (NY, LA, DC, Dallas, Houston) they would have to decide what stations to spin off and make side deals for those.

But a potentially bigger issue would be suddenly having Fox owned stations in markets where there are already successful Fox affiliates. For instance, in Miami where Tribune owns WSFL and Sunbeam owns the monster Fox affiliate WSVN. Or New Orleans where Tribune owns ABC affiliate WGNO and Raycom owns Fox affiliate WVUE. Depending on affiliation agreements, Fox might be able to move their network to the newly acquired stations, but why would they want to? So, do they spin off those Tribune stations too?

As someone mentioned previously, there would be a huge body count if Fox acquired Tribune. News departments shut down or merged would mean less competition and hundreds of layoffs across the country. Fox might be a better situation for Tribune's stations and markets, but only for the people who still have jobs.

Rupert Murdoch already tried buying Tribune once, and blamed cross-ownership laws from preventing him from doing this (because he already owns Fox O&Os in markets where Tribune has major stations). I guess he hasn't given up that dream! Especially with the FCC under the new administration, which is probably not going to be as hard on this sort of thing as they were previously.

It's funny because this has a higher likelihood of going through than his dream takeover of SkyTV... which is imperiled because of the continuous Fox News PR disasters.

I see a situation where a company will be invented (financially backed by FOX and Blackstone) to hold the licenses, maybe even manage the stations. This bid is not about FOX wanting O&Os back in the fold. FOX simply doesn't want Sinclair to have so much leverage with FOX affiliates.

There are a couple of issues Fox would have to address in a potential Tribune deal.

Fox already owns duopolies in some large Tribune markets. (NY, LA, DC, Dallas, Houston) they would have to decide what stations to spin off and make side deals for those.

But a potentially bigger issue would be suddenly having Fox owned stations in markets where there are already successful Fox affiliates. For instance, in Miami where Tribune owns WSFL and Sunbeam owns the monster Fox affiliate WSVN. Or New Orleans where Tribune owns ABC affiliate WGNO and Raycom owns Fox affiliate WVUE. Depending on affiliation agreements, Fox might be able to move their network to the newly acquired stations, but why would they want to? So, do they spin off those Tribune stations too?

As someone mentioned previously, there would be a huge body count if Fox acquired Tribune. News departments shut down or merged would mean less competition and hundreds of layoffs across the country. Fox might be a better situation for Tribune's stations and markets, but only for the people who still have jobs.

WSFL can simply be sold to Sunbeam and form a duopoly. WGNO could just be resold to Sinclair; it might as well be owned by them now.

I see a situation where a company will be invented (financially backed by FOX and Blackstone) to hold the licenses, maybe even manage the stations. This bid is not about FOX wanting O&Os back in the fold. FOX simply doesn't want Sinclair to have so much leverage with FOX affiliates.

Fox and Blackstone might be best served calling Warren Buffet to see if he wants to pool BHMedia/WPLG into this configuration.

Reminiscent in a way of the Fox/Savoy JV that converted WALA, WLUK, KHON and WVUE to Fox affiliates, while exploiting the system like Sinclair happily does.

Exactly what I thought of this. The only difference is that Fox didn't contribute its O&Os to that deal, and it would probably make more sense for Fox and Blackstone to structure the bid in the manner of the SF Broadcasting JV, where Fox provides capital but Blackstone holds voting interest.

I don't know what to make of this. On one hand, if it's successful, would the Fox/Blackstone venture divest any conflict stations, even consideration of divestitures of its legacy O&Os? If not, the markets that could support five English news operations could lose one.

There's also the question of affiliation agreements, since a little more than a quarter of Tribune's stations are ABC, NBC and CBS affiliates, and I know for a fact that the ABC and CBS stations are locked up under contract through at least 2020 (I don't know about KFOR and WHO's contracts with NBC). This situation could spell a repeat performance of the network shuffles that resulted from the New World and SF Broadcasting deals, but on a lesser scale, predicated on Fox/Blackstone actually getting the deal and choosing to sell few -- if any -- stations.

I would have liked to see Cox or Meredith try to acquire Tribune. Both companies have as few conflicts as possible (Meredith has only Portland, Kansas City and St. Louis, and Cox has only Seattle and Memphis), and Cox might like to have some vertical integration with its cable systems in Oklahoma City, Cleveland, San Diego and other markets where Tribune has stations.

Exactly what I thought of this. The only difference is that Fox didn't contribute its O&Os to that deal, and it would probably make more sense for Fox and Blackstone to structure the bid in the manner of the SF Broadcasting JV, where Fox provides capital but Blackstone holds voting interest.

I don't know what to make of this. On one hand, if it's successful, would the Fox/Blackstone venture divest any conflict stations, even consideration of divestitures of its legacy O&Os? If not, the markets that could support five English news operations could lose one.

There's also the question of affiliation agreements, since a little more than a quarter of Tribune's stations are ABC, NBC and CBS affiliates, and I know for a fact that the ABC and CBS stations are locked up under contract through at least 2020 (I don't know about KFOR and WHO's contracts with NBC). This situation could spell a repeat performance of the network shuffles that resulted from the New World and SF Broadcasting deals, but on a lesser scale, predicated on Fox/Blackstone actually getting the deal and choosing to sell few -- if any -- stations.

I would have liked to see Cox or Meredith try to acquire Tribune. Both companies have as few conflicts as possible (Meredith has only Portland, Kansas City and St. Louis, and Cox has only Seattle and Memphis), and Cox might like to have some vertical integration with its cable systems in Oklahoma City, Cleveland, San Diego and other markets where Tribune has stations.

Interestingly, Cox's cable presence in Cleveland is minimal, only in 2-3 western suburbs and not in the city proper. Charter/Spectrum is far and away the dominant cable company, as were the companies that preceded Spectrum (Time Warner Cable, Adelphia and Cablevision).

If it is what I think it is, this is Fox and Blackstone teaming up to form a so-called "white knight" as a separate entity just to acquire Tribune... under the condition that KCPQ/KXJO, WGN America, the TV production studios and WPHL get transferred to Fox.

They may as well just name said entity as "Tribune Broadcasting II, LLC" and, outside of establishing a long-term group-wide affiliation deal for the remainder of the LocalTV and legacy Tribune Fox affils (bundling them all together for the first time, no?) and possibly merging some aspects of internal management -- sales, traffic, technical -- Fox doesn't exert much else control. Stations like WPIX, WGN or KTLA wouldn't be consolidated into their crosstown Fox O&Os.

If it is what I think it is, this is Fox and Blackstone teaming up to form a so-called "white knight" as a separate entity just to acquire Tribune... under the condition that KCPQ/KXJO, WGN America, the TV production studios and WPHL get transferred to Fox.

They may as well just name said entity as "Tribune Broadcasting II, LLC" and, outside of establishing a long-term group-wide affiliation deal for the remainder of the LocalTV and legacy Tribune Fox affils (bundling them all together for the first time, no?) and possibly merging some aspects of internal management -- sales, traffic, technical -- Fox doesn't exert much else control. Stations like WPIX, WGN or KTLA wouldn't be consolidated into their crosstown Fox O&Os.

About the production arm, I'm not sure how vital that would be for Fox. Other than The Robert Irvine Show, Tribune Studios hasn't been very active in production and distribution compared to its predecessor, Tribune Entertainment; the studio lifts right out, it could just be integrated with 20th Television with little production portfolio expansion to that company.

In fact, most of Tribune's television productions under the stewardship of Peter Liguori (Bill Cunningham, the short-lived Arsenio Hall Show revival, etc.) were under the Tribune Broadcasting umbrella, even after Tribune Studios was formed.

Archived