Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

Barrington was downright neglectful to most of their stations. SBG at least has national infrastructure, a top-notch engineering staff and a division (Chesapeake) devoted to serving its small-town stations. Barrington, IIRC, did just one HD conversion in the whole group.

Oh yes Mr. Raymie...

I was one of the first Barrington HD converts. It was a great deal for only a few dollars. The amount of money my whole family saved was... "off the hook".

c3ee0bf0-270b-4ad9-b77d-71dc38da6b17_1.a2861e22b4ee796a2a9ff8c0cc1dab92.jpeg.2bbd99bed396a8e14f2a82d90b77bab6.jpeg

th.jpg.68024940a637a5e067f504c02d890a13.jpg

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That would be a great purchase. BH Media owns newspapers in Richmond, Winston-Salem/Greensboro, Atlantic City (Philly media market), and northern Virginia (DC media market); so the Tribune stations in those markets would probably have to be sold (unless they do what Tribune did and give conflict stations to a shell company). Other than that I see no other conflicts.

Pretty dang sure that if the cap is going to go, the newspaper cross-ownership rules are too (as they should have 10 years ago).

Barrington was downright neglectful to most of their stations. SBG at least has national infrastructure, a top-notch engineering staff and a division (Chesapeake) devoted to serving its small-town stations. Barrington, IIRC, did just one HD conversion in the whole group.

Wasn't that pitiful? Only WACH Fox 57 in Columbia was that only station that was converted to HD. Nine other stations were in digital widescreen (not HD).

Pretty dang sure that if the cap is going to go, the newspaper cross-ownership rules are too (as they should have 10 years ago).

If not for the inane cap, Scripps would have taken Journal's papers too. Alas, they became acquistion bait and the moment Journal Media Group started it was just a countdown to when Gannett blanded even more papers across America by purchasing it. Though I will say cap or not, Gannett would have spun off TEGNA no matter what.

OH PLEASE GOD NO. That's too much power.

never going to happen.

Bite your tongue on that one! If that the case life as we know it should be over.

??? hello..... Sinclair is only worth $4 Billion where in the world would they get the cash to buy Disney at $180 Billion?

AAAUGH! Dear God NO! Do not bring that up ever again-PLEASE.

ABC still holds enough value as a de facto marketing extension for Disney/LucasFilm/Pixar/Marvel. As long as that exists, they will still own ABC (and likely transfer it to an all-digital content delivery).

ESPN, OTOH, is THE Achilles heel. (And quite frankly I'm rather surprised that 20% owner Hearst Media hasn't done or said anything.) ESPN is dragging down Disney, and woe be upon anyone dumb enough to buy them if Disney put up a "For Sale" sign.

Then again, Farid Suleman was dumb enough to buy ABC Radio from Disney, and that flat out destroyed Citadel (and by extension, contributed to the ruin of Cumulus).

ABC still holds enough value as a de facto marketing extension for Disney/LucasFilm/Pixar/Marvel. As long as that exists, they will still own ABC (and likely transfer it to an all-digital content delivery).

The other issue is creatives. Shonda Rhimes is pretty much a de facto executive with ABC at this point and she knows when the network tries to copy her style with other shows, it fails miserably. She has free reign with her shows and will pretty much walk with her shows and the casts of them if she has to take any command from Hunt Valley, and at that point, it's a mortal wound with only one NFL game a year (and just imagine a budget cut-ridden Dancing with the Stars with ZZ-list talent). Disney/ABC also pretty much bankrolls the Oscars, and if SBG does anything to interfere, you've got them walking.

Then again, Farid Suleman was dumb enough to buy ABC Radio from Disney, and that flat out destroyed Citadel (and by extension, contributed to the ruin of Cumulus).

Along with ABC's heritage stations; the only time you hear about KGO, KABC, WLS and WABC now are in regards to record low ratings and dumb programming decisions.

Beside ABC and ESPN

(they've already been mentioned),

Disney Channel's live-action shows are already annoying with their broad attempts at comedy. If Sinclair ever gets ahold of them, who knows? And that's to say nothing about what's on Freeform.

Yeah, ABC Family is actually Freeform.

Beside ABC and ESPN

(they've already been mentioned),

Disney Channel's live-action shows are already annoying with their broad attempts at comedy. If Sinclair ever gets ahold of them, who knows? And that's to say nothing about what's on Freeform.

Yeah, ABC Family is actually Freeform.

To be honest, Freeform was screwed the moment Fox and Saban bought them out- mainly because they cancelled all of Family's game shows and other programming and drove the older viewers away. I've even written a plan for what they should've done to prevent the mass exodus of older viewers and such that turned FF into a money drain.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jkXUDk2x_xN5iYThJt5hzWApaBHzSWEJiucv_J5H70k

I would assume that Tribune would make more money for their stockholders by selling each station separately, rather than as an entire group. Despite the ratings, I would imagine someone would pay quite a bit for KTLA, WGN and WPIX alone. Would Tegna, Cox, Scripps or Hearst want to enter the top three markets? Anyone but Sinclair.

I would assume that Tribune would make more money for their stockholders by selling each station separately, rather than as an entire group.

My thoughts exactly.

Also, I'd think they'd sell KTLA, WGN, and WPIX last, if at all.

Archived