Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

And what traditions would those be? Gene Autry running reruns of Westerns on KTLA? Brad Holbrook and the cheesy INN news on WPIX? WJW which should still be a CBS affiliate? Or maybe WGN which is just plain boring.

We both know Gene Autry would shit his spurs if he saw what had become of KTLA.

Afterall...

Autry brought us the freaking Tele-Mobile, Tele-Copter Tele-Boat!

(Actually John Silva and the KTLA engineers brought you that stuff...Autry only paid for it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id=oZSaPc0sUlo;t=82

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
can we do something about DirtyHarry's political ramblings please? It's getting quite annoying
Another favorite leftist tactic: Blaming the victim. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? The Sinclair bashing came first, I am only responding to the leftist BS. It seems to me the people who should be called out are the ones who brought politics into this thread in the first place, i.e. the ones who FIRST started bashing Sinclair and their right-wing slant. .... Because it isn't enough to have only 97% of the media being left wing. It has to be 100% lockstep for it to satisfy the Ministry of Truth!!! WE. ARE. PRAVDA.

Seriously. What has gotten into Sinclair? It's like they've gone mad with power. I can't (and don't) blame anyone who leaves there. One of my best friends worked as an assignment editor/fill in meteorologist at their Harrisburg station (WHP-TV) and now he works in Emergency Preparations.

I do not like Sinclair because they run their stations on the cheap and get rid of good people. Before they bought KOMO in Seattle, KOMO had one of the most respected news departments in the country. High quality investigations, a top rate anchor team (RIP Kathi Goertzen. I know she passed before Sinclair bought KOMO, but I'm glad she's not around to see Sinclair gut KOMO), the list goes on. Now, so many people have left (both behind the camera and in front of the camera), including their I-Team (which was shut down).

I'm glad I don't have a job in broadcasting because of Sinclair. They seem to run legacy broadcasting groups into the ground. It makes me sick. I'm just hoping the FCC comes to their senses and prohibits this merger.

Seriously. What has gotten into Sinclair? It's like they've gone mad with power. I can't (and don't) blame anyone who leaves there. One of my best friends worked as an assignment editor/fill in meteorologist at their Harrisburg station (WHP-TV) and now he works in Emergency Preparations.

I do not like Sinclair because they run their stations on the cheap and get rid of good people. Before they bought KOMO in Seattle, KOMO had one of the most respected news departments in the country. High quality investigations, a top rate anchor team (RIP Kathi Goertzen. I know she passed before Sinclair bought KOMO, but I'm glad she's not around to see Sinclair gut KOMO), the list goes on. Now, so many people have left (both behind the camera and in front of the camera), including their I-Team (which was shut down).

I'm glad I don't have a job in broadcasting because of Sinclair. They seem to run legacy broadcasting groups into the ground. It makes me sick. I'm just hoping the FCC comes to their senses and prohibits this merger.

Their buying frenzy is going to catch up to them one of these days. They are pretty much following the same path that Clear Channel...I mean...iHeartMedia took and we all saw how that turned out.

If they go hard after Tribune, Sinclair would have tried to own every station in that market except one (WGAL, one of Hearst's crown jewels).

Another favorite leftist tactic: Blaming the victim. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? The Sinclair bashing came first, I am only responding to the leftist BS. It seems to me the people who should be called out are the ones who brought politics into this thread in the first place, i.e. the ones who FIRST started bashing Sinclair and their right-wing slant. .... Because it isn't enough to have only 97% of the media being left wing. It has to be 100% lockstep for it to satisfy the Ministry of Truth!!! WE. ARE. PRAVDA.

We're in the not-to-distant future, next Sunday A.D.
Great. A strawman (or rather, a far right) conservative and now a far leftist who also won't shut up about political views either.

That's it! This thread has done worse than jumping the shark! It's gone straight to hell!!! And I'm starting to think that Nexstar may be a better company than Sinclair or TEGNA or even most other TV companies today. Sure their business practices are questionable and yes they're cheap, but what do you expect now? At least they have a commitment to localism even if Gray does a better job at it (and boy it does). And you know what? People here should see accept the truth (and research shows it's true, look it up) that the TV business is dying a slow and painful death and despite what Tribune, Nexstar, or even dare I say, Sinclair think, ATSC 3.0 won't save it because streaming is already taking over. I mean, who watches TV anymore that's younger than 30 years old?

I'll end this rant by saying this:

I'm a conservative, but I think this thread should be shut down because we can't keep politics out of this thread for even 1 page. Whoever the moderator is, you or Weeters should SHUT THIS DAMNED THREAD DOWN ASAP!!!

I think I'm going to try to steer this thread back on the rails. Sinclair is getting too big for its britches, basically. Honestly, if I was David Smith, I would try to run my 160 stations and be content with DC being my biggest market. I will admit, some station groups like Barrington were so poorly run that Sinclair was actually a step up (in most cases because WNWO is a lost cause). Tribune, OTOH is not a station group that's poorly run, just a little cash-strapped. If Tribune were to go, at least let a decent group like Meredith or Cox get first dibs. The only station Sinclair can have is WGNO, The NBC24 of the South.

Serious question. Has Warren Buffett dealt with Starboard Value?

I haven't been able to find anything in regards to that. Would be interesting to see their philosophies for investing and what they hypothetically could do to Tribune.

Great. A strawman (or rather, a far right) conservative and now a far leftist who also won't shut up about political views either.

That's it! This thread has done worse than jumping the shark!

Don't go dragging me into this...I was just quietly basking.

Get it?

Basking?

I haven't been able to find anything in regards to that. Would be interesting to see their philosophies for investing and what they hypothetically could do to Tribune.

Not to mention it would pair WPLG with WSFL for a logical duopoly.

Tribune would be a good asset for Berkshire Hathway, should they be interested in branching out from just owning WPLG.

BH bought Media General a few more years by saving of them of their newspapers (and likely bankruptcy). Nexstar would have probably ended up with them anyway, but it would have been more like Young being on the brink of auction back in 2009.

Not to mention it would pair WPLG with WSFL for a logical duopoly.

Right. Makes perfect sense.

It's hard to gauge what kind of owner BH is, for it seems like they've been hands off at WPLG-- mostly letting them do their own thing and providing some extra $$ for the bureaus in Cuba and D.C.

The fact that they haven't spun off WPLG makes me think that they're contemplating some kind of media acquisition. Given their portfolio, owning 1 tv station sure seems odd.

It doesn't help that both stations are in different cities either; I could totally see the WWMT VHF license being turned in and WXMI's being used with more coverage and more translators, along with newer GR studio facilities to boot rather than the heritage Kalamazoo studio. With WOOD-TV pretty much treating WOTV as a wacky experimental second subchannel for 'women' with an ABC affiliation (one of the few things I'm glad Nexstar likely will gag by fall), this definitely doesn't meet the public interest at all for the southern part of the market, which is already treated badly by the GR and South Bend-licensed stations.

I do feel kinda bad for the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek areas as they are kind of the red-headed stepchild of multiple markets. They could almost get away by creating another small market for Kalamazoo/Battle Creek so they can get the coverage they deserve. LIN was so stupid to shut down WOTV's news operations in 2003... That is the one downfall about WOOD is that they re-broadcast newscasts and maybe mention Battle Creek/Kalamazoo once, maybe twice?? Batlle Creek is always mentioned in the Lansing area markets and Kalamazoo I've seen mentioned in the South Bend market as well.. But I do think they could get away with creating a smaller market for these 2 cities...

I think I'm going to try to steer this thread back on the rails. Sinclair is getting too big for its britches, basically. Honestly, if I was David Smith, I would try to run my 160 stations and be content with DC being my biggest market. I will admit, some station groups like Barrington were so poorly run that Sinclair was actually a step up (in most cases because WNWO is a lost cause). Tribune, OTOH is not a station group that's poorly run, just a little cash-strapped. If Tribune were to go, at least let a decent group like Meredith or Cox get first dibs. The only station Sinclair can have is WGNO, The NBC24 of the South.

Agreed. Meredith or Cox should get first dibs on Tribune's stations except WGNO 26/WNOL 38 in which those are sold to Sinclair to be ripped off to pieces.

I'll end this rant by saying this:

I'm a conservative, but I think this thread should be shut down because we can't keep politics out of this thread for even 1 page. Whoever the moderator is, you or Weeters should SHUT THIS DAMNED THREAD DOWN ASAP!!!

It may help to ask nicely. Just sayin'.

Will say Sinclair has ramped up our local CBS affiliate in Mid-Missouri. Have a few insights with some of the staffers, and they say the way they are treated under Sinclair is much better than Barrington. This also even goes beyond the on-air look and stories. However, I still don't think too highly of either company, and feel that maybe Meredith or Cox get their hands on some of the higher stations, rather than see KTLA or WGN get Sinclair'ed. It would also make STL a rough market for news, since KMOV and KSDK have jumped the shark. Certainly don't need KTVI and KPLR to make it worse under ol' Dave and Co.

Will say Sinclair has ramped up our local CBS affiliate in Mid-Missouri. Have a few insights with some of the staffers, and they say the way they are treated under Sinclair is much better than Barrington. This also even goes beyond the on-air look and stories. However, I still don't think too highly of either company, and feel that maybe Meredith or Cox get their hands on some of the higher stations, rather than see KTLA or WGN get Sinclair'ed. It would also make STL a rough market for news, since KMOV and KSDK have jumped the shark. Certainly don't need KTVI and KPLR to make it worse under ol' Dave and Co.

In a small market like that, it didn't take much to improve it since Barrington was such a joke owner anyway. It's also a weird market since KOMU is the market leader, and I don't think Mizzou wants to lose their journalism asset...

In a small market like that, it didn't take much to improve it since Barrington was such a joke owner anyway. It's also a weird market since KOMU is the market leader, and I don't think Mizzou wants to lose their journalism asset...

Oh yeah, Mizzou isn't giving KOMU up anytime soon. However, KRCG has taken a few timeslot victories in the market as well. KMIZ has done what they can to remain competitive, but they are a few steps behind in third.

Sinclair if they win this battle which I'm sure there putting money in GOP's coffers. I really hope others like FOX, Nexstar (not a fan of them either) maybe Gray jump on board. I would rather it be Tribune wanting to buy Sinclair. However, if this takes hold Sinclair would be in heaven in the Virginia markets.

Tribune already owns WTKR 3/ WGNT 27 while Sinclair already owns WTVZ/33. Then go up the road to Richmond. Remember when Sinclair, was trying to get WTVR 6, but was shot down. Now Tribune owns WTVR and Sinclair owns FOX 35 WRLH which 10PM news produce by WWBT 12.

Also, others markets where Sinclair has current properties such as D.C with WJLA/cable channel. St. Louis, FOX 2/KPLR 11. Portland KATU 2. They would re-enter into the Indy market. Salt Lake City, OKC, Milwaukee, Harrisburg, Grand Rapids, Greensboro/High Point, NC, Des Monies. Sounds like a lot of jobs lost and a lot newsrooms merging if this takes place.

Tribune would be a good asset for Berkshire Hathway, should they be interested in branching out from just owning WPLG.

That would be a great purchase. BH Media owns newspapers in Richmond, Winston-Salem/Greensboro, Atlantic City (Philly media market), and northern Virginia (DC media market); so the Tribune stations in those markets would probably have to be sold (unless they do what Tribune did and give conflict stations to a shell company). Other than that I see no other conflicts.

Will say Sinclair has ramped up our local CBS affiliate in Mid-Missouri. Have a few insights with some of the staffers, and they say the way they are treated under Sinclair is much better than Barrington. This also even goes beyond the on-air look and stories.

Barrington was downright neglectful to most of their stations. SBG at least has national infrastructure, a top-notch engineering staff and a division (Chesapeake) devoted to serving its small-town stations. Barrington, IIRC, did just one HD conversion in the whole group.

Archived