Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

I agree with you, and I would think in some markets where CBS has O&Os CBS would try to turn KCAL 9 into CW, or WLNY a CW outlet. Sinclair, really needs to chill on buying up stations left and right. They need to focus on the stations they already have. I feel it just to promote their right-wing agenda in key battleground states; which is not good. I'm not a fan of Sinclair, but I have to give them their due for investing in their stations.

However, I feel they need to invest in Toledo, St. Louis and Greensboro markets. They got a leg up buying bigger market stations i.e. WJLA, KOMO & KATU.

However, as much as it pains me to see former Belo Station under TEGNA have changed course, but glad TENGA got those stations before Sinclair did.

If that is the case, why don't they just sell stations elsewhere? Unless they feel they want 100% national reach...and think they can get away with it...

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again, Fox's opposition to this merger has nothing to do with them wanting to reclaim any of their former O&Os. Just put a –30– next to that talk right now.

It's because they know this deal sets up Sinclair to be the next Baton Broadcasting... a conglomeration so powerful over a broadcast network that their chain of Fox affiliates will have an overwhelming say over other chain broadcasters like Raycom and Nexstar.

(It's important to note that, WRT the Baton-CTV comparison, CTV was set up from the beginning as a Mutual Radio-esque co-operative of affiliate stations... there were never any CTV O&Os pre-98. Once dereg hit Canada, Baton bought up the bulk of CTV affiliates that a Baton-CTV merger was never in doubt.)

I think Fox's opposition has more to do with retaining the upper hand in negotiations regarding the split of retrans money between affiliates and network and other matters. To that end, keeping the affiliate base as divided as possible is in the network's best interests. Sinclair certainly has network ambitions of its own, but I seriously doubt that extends to a takeover of the Fox network (not that it would even be possible, given that Fox isn't a cooperative like CTV.)

I would expect a merge of news operations and subchannels... I.E.: In the Grand Rapids, MI market, there's Sinclair owned WWMT and Tribune owned WXMI -- I can totally see them merging news operations and since both seem to have a massive amount of staff, I could easily see 1/2 of them be pink slipped.

It doesn't help that both stations are in different cities either; I could totally see the WWMT VHF license being turned in and WXMI's being used with more coverage and more translators, along with newer GR studio facilities to boot rather than the heritage Kalamazoo studio. With WOOD-TV pretty much treating WOTV as a wacky experimental second subchannel for 'women' with an ABC affiliation (one of the few things I'm glad Nexstar likely will gag by fall), this definitely doesn't meet the public interest at all for the southern part of the market, which is already treated badly by the GR and South Bend-licensed stations.

And for that matter, why not merge Sinclair, Fox and RT into a collective unit? It would be the ultimate propaganda machine covering two continents and twenty time zones.
You pinkos used to love the Soviets when they were communist and atheist. Now that Russia is traditionalist and that the people are reasserting their Orthodox Christian heritage, you leftists think they are the boogeyman.

You pinkos used to love the Soviets when they were communist and atheist. Now that Russia is traditionalist and that the people are reasserting their Orthodox Christian heritage, you leftists think they are the boogeyman.

...and they had to google "pinko".

I've read some dumb stuff on this forum before, but this takes the cake.

It's only dumb to the brainwashed who don't realize Teddy Kennedy pleaded with the Russians to help sabotage Reagan.

http://dailysignal.com/2016/12/14/ted-kennedy-made-secret-overtures-to-russia-to-prevent-ronald-reagans-re-election/

Person who calls national media outlets reporting on facts he doesn't like "fake news" cites fake news site.....our current political reality.

Person who calls national media outlets reporting on facts he doesn't like "fake news" cites fake news site.....our current political reality.
Is John Edwards' love child any less alive because only The National Enquirer would report on it?

Everyone knows that Cliffhanger is the better game.

Any game is instantly made better with yodeling.

Plinko is the best, as you can't really lose unless you get all 0's but Cliffhanger is a close second. Though Cliffhanger is the one game I root for the contestant to lose so I can see the mountain climber fall off that mountain.

whataboutism isn't a defense. Edwards lovechild is a totally different matter.
Keep up those positive thoughts! The credibility of the entire news business has imploded because of that kind of thinking.

If you want people to think you're unbiased, you provide context and weigh and report in an unbiased and situation-appropriate manner. Giving the same weight to Democrat propaganda about the Russians when everybody from Julian Assange to James Comey has denied any Russian involvement with Trump is only the latest example when of you leftists unmasking yourselves as being no better than the propagandists at the offices of Pravda in the 1970's.

Keep up those positive thoughts! The credibility of the entire news business has imploded because of that kind of thinking.

If you want people to think you're unbiased, you provide context and weigh and report in an unbiased and situation-appropriate manner. Giving the same weight to Democrat propaganda about the Russians when everybody from Julian Assange to James Comey has denied any Russian involvement with Trump is only the latest example when of you leftists unmasking yourselves as being no better than the propagandists at the offices of Pravda in the 1970's.

you're the one crying "fake news propaganda" and then cite fake news propaganda. BTW Julian Assange isn't a source for anything, he has absolutely no credibility as he is an opportunist he just wants attention. CIA, FBI, NSA, and Homeland Security have all said that Russia WAS involved of the hacked of the DNC, and therefore involvment in the election in leaking it to Wikileaks. Comey hasn't cleared the Trump campaign of anything as it's an ongoing investigation.

Also this is a TV forum, stop spewing political crap all the time. Go outside, get some fresh air. you seem to be angry all the time

Those commies sure knew how to throw a mayday parade...

soviets.jpg.7711e52580661776853c43b6809b2a10.jpg

00b-kprf-may-day-2012-moscow.thumb.jpg.df914ef5775eb69702214296373b14f9.jpg

Can we get back on topic?

Okay, but first read this:

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/260951/

I'm sure you don't know the background story, but Twitter has been shadow-banning prominent and semi-prominent voices on the right. The snowflakes can't handle anything that counters the official narrative ... More behavior mirroring your communist forefathers and you claim Trump is in bed with the Russians? LOL

Okay, but first read this:

https://pjmedia.com/instapundit/260951/

I'm sure you don't know the background story, but Twitter has been shadow-banning prominent and semi-prominent voices on the right. The snowflakes can't handle anything that counters the official narrative ... More behavior mirroring your communist forefathers and you claim Trump is in bed with the Russians? LOL

I've noticed Sargon of Akkad (look him up on YouTube) got hacked by a man named Jack.

And yes DirtyHarry, I agree with you on a lot of things, but really, you and atlnews2 both need to get a grip right now!

Firstly to you atlnews2, yes this isn't the forum (or thread for that matter) for discussing political ideas, but really, you're delusional if you think CNN isn't fake news, because as of this past election cycle (where trump and hiliary supporters fought each other), it's as fake news as Fox News. And also, Russia hasn't had the resources to invade Europe let alone invade the US like they did in the cold war.

Now to you DirtyHarry, don't think I'm letting you off the hook because just because I'm more of a conservative now than a year ago and that I agree with a lot of things, doesn't mean that you get a free pass from me. First off, you sound really stupid while spewing your political views like you see the world in only black and white without shades of gray. Second, wikileaks is by no means perfect because there's no way that Julian Assange can verify his sources first hand without risking jail time. Because of that, he has to rely on sources that he has to be careful who to trust because if he didn't, all hell would break loose. Last, Alex Jones was completely wrong about America becoming a police state (despite what he hyped it up to be) because really, it's actually Germany and maybe even Sweden as well (south of the artic circle) that's starting to become a police state instead, but let's check that in 5 years.

And with that, I think both of you are wrong and really, take the argument about politics somewhere else! I think we can all agree how much politics sucks now (not that it was any good to begin with) and how little any of us like talking about it.

So now, can we please just get back in topic for at least 1 page without getting into a heated argument about politics?

Plinko is the best, as you can't really lose unless you get all 0's but Cliffhanger is a close second. Though Cliffhanger is the one game I root for the contestant to lose so I can see the mountain climber fall off that mountain.

I used to be afraid of Cliffhangers as a kid. It was the reason why I avoided The Price Is Right. I love it now.

Now back on topic.

I've noticed Sargon of Akkad (look him up on YouTube) got hacked by a man named Jack.

And yes DirtyHarry, I agree with you on a lot of things, but really, you and atlnews2 both need to get a grip right now!

Firstly to you atlnews2, yes this isn't the forum (or thread for that matter) for discussing political ideas, but really, you're delusional if you think CNN isn't fake news, because as of this past election cycle (where trump and hiliary supporters fought each other), it's as fake news as Fox News. And also, Russia hasn't had the resources to invade Europe let alone invade the US like they did in the cold war.

Now to you DirtyHarry, don't think I'm letting you off the hook because just because I'm more of a conservative now than a year ago and that I agree with a lot of things, doesn't mean that you get a free pass from me. First off, you sound really stupid while spewing your political views like you see the world in only black and white without shades of gray. Second, wikileaks is by no means perfect because there's no way that Julian Assange can verify his sources first hand without risking jail time. Because of that, he has to rely on sources that he has to be careful who to trust because if he didn't, all hell would break loose. Last, Alex Jones was completely wrong about America becoming a police state (despite what he hyped it up to be) because really, it's actually Germany and maybe even Sweden as well (south of the artic circle) that's starting to become a police state instead, but let's check that in 5 years.

And with that, I think both of you are wrong and really, take the argument about politics somewhere else! I think we can all agree how much politics sucks now (not that it was any good to begin with) and how little any of us like talking about it.

So now, can we please just get back in topic for at least 1 page without getting into a heated argument about politics?

I don't think you get where I'm coming from. I don't approach this so much from a political standpoint and being a fanboy of Trump (even though I am) as I do from the standpoint of being a CONTRARIAN! I think it is the media's job to question EVERYBODY and hold everybody's feet to the fire.

I realize that's hard to do in local news since the relationships are more personal. It's hard to bash someone, even if they deserve it, when your kid plays on the same team their kid plays on. The trouble is that this we are seeing the same dynamic on a national level right now and it is to the point where it is bizarre, surreal and insulting all at once.

The Russia stuff is a prime example. A few months ago they were reporting about what Flynn said in leaked transcripts. Trump turns it around on them and they say, "What wiretaps?" And that he needs to provide proof there were wiretaps. Likewise where everbody in the chain of command (Clapper, Comey, etc.) says Trump had nothing to do with Russia, yet the media keeps repeating Russia, Russia, Russia, Russia. I mean, come on!!! This is exactly how totalitarian regimes operate!!!

As far as Trump goes, he's a big boy. Bash away -- he can handle it. Just make sure you spread the bashing around equally.

Archived