Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

Thank god the program guides are kept. I rely on those all the time.

Does this also include the guide data they provide for some of the major carriers(Directv, Dish, and the like)? Actually that maybe a whole other division.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does this also include the guide data they provide for some of the major carriers(Directv, Dish, and the like)? Actually that maybe a whole other division.

Yes. I mostly rely on the Cable/Antenna ones for my TV listings from Screener.

I wonder though if those Zap2it program guide channels on few cable systems have been changed over to Screener now.

Guide data was a part of their Gracenote division, which was sold to Nielsen back in December.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-tribune-media-sells-gracenote-1221-biz-20161220-story.html

Beside ABC and ESPN

(they've already been mentioned),

Disney Channel's live-action shows are already annoying with their broad attempts at comedy. If Sinclair ever gets ahold of them, who knows? And that's to say nothing about what's on Freeform.

Yeah, ABC Family is actually Freeform.

You're confusing the output of the TV studio (which Disney will never ever ever ever ever sell, good lord) with the networks that distribute said output.

Selling the Disney Channel and Freeform makes zero sense for Disney. For one, they lose two valuable marketing tools for the House of Mouse. Secondly, they lose their in-house distribution method over traditional linear television. Thirdly, unlike ESPN, both networks haven't been hemorrhaging viewers and revenue at an alarming rate.

You're more likely to see Disney give Pat Robertson billions and billions of dollars just to remove "The 700 Club" from Freeform... and that isn't happening... yet. (Pat values his remaining airtime on the network at such a ridiculous amount that Disney basically said, "the hell with you, we'll surround your show with anything and everything that contradicts your beliefs.")

This is much ado about nothing.

You're more likely to see Disney give Pat Robertson billions and billions of dollars just to remove "The 700 Club" from Freeform... and that isn't happening... yet. (Pat values his remaining airtime on the network at such a ridiculous amount that Disney basically said, "the hell with you, we'll surround your show with anything and everything that contradicts your beliefs.")

At this point, they're probably just waiting for him to pass away so they strike a deal with whoever takes over the show. I mean, that person has to be smart enough to know that there's absolutely no point in keeping the show on Freeform, right?

Well, Steve Jobs started Pixar, and Disney sold off ABC Radio to buy Pixar...

...it all makes sense in the end.

Nitpick, but Pixar actually began life as part of Lucasfilm. George Lucas sold it to Steve Jobs because his divorce left him broke.

Boris Epshteyn, the combative former White House spokesperson, has joined the conservative local news operator Sinclair Broadcasting Group.

Sinclair announced Monday that it had named Epshteyn "chief political analyst." In that role he will be appearing across the 173 television stations Sinclair owns, operates or provides services for across the country.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/04/17/media/boris-epshteyn-sinclair/index.html

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-19/sinclair-said-aiming-to-buy-tribune-for-high-30s-a-share#.WPfPUXAWzRE.twitter

A few possibilities also mentioned:

* A Sinclair acquisition would, even with the UHF discount, result in an adjusted reach of 42%. In addition to conflicts, a few other stations would need to be divested.

* Nexstar is also in play for Tribune (that too would be laden with conflicts and would go over the adjusted cap)

* Other unnamed buyers are also interested (perhaps Meredith? Cox?)

* An alternate scenario also considered - Tribune actually buying someone else in a reversal. I know I could be dreaming here, but imagine if they poach Hunt Valley and buy Sinclair out? (I would think that would cost $15 billion or more though, knowing how much money they will demand)

* An alternate scenario also considered - Tribune actually buying someone else in a reversal. I know I could be dreaming here, but imagine if they poach Hunt Valley and buy Sinclair out? (I would think that would cost $15 billion or more though, knowing how much money they will demand)

If Tribune bought Sinclair, divested a bunch of stations (and not just those in small markets), and then replaced the problematic elements (the cheapness, the right-wing bias, etc.) with Tribune's approach, I'd almost be okay with it. But it'd be damn weird.

I hope today's announcement by the FCC does not mean the end of quality TV news. The UHF things is only temporary. By the end of the year when they start looking at raising the cap, there will be a lot of backlash and hopefully lawsuits. The last time the FCC tried this (early 2000s), they got a lot of backlash and Congress wouldn't let them do it. Was Congress Republican controlled back in 2004 when they made the cap like 35%?

The last time the FCC tried this (early 2000s), they got a lot of backlash and Congress wouldn't let them do it. Was Congress Republican controlled back in 2004 when they made the cap like 35%?

Politicians change their opinions all the time. I doubt they're going to say no to a group that's supporting them, especially since many of them will be up for election next year and more Sinclair stations would work to the Majority's advantage...

Now if, say, NBC was trying to get the cap raised, they'd say no because of the DISHONEST, FAKE MEDIA.

Now would be a good time for NBC/ABC/CBS to start flexing their muscles and squash this merger. A combined Sinclair/Tribune company is not only, NOT in the public's best interest, but the networks as well. A new Sinclair would certainly have a lot of sway in the network/affiliate business model.

At this point I'm starting to believe that Sinclair is trying to own EVERY station in the country. Where do they get this money anyway? I wish I understood business enough to know how sustainable any of this really is.

Archived