Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

Here is My Opinion on what is Best for Tribune to sell its stations with Hearst as the Main Partner.

WPIX, KTLA, WGN, WDCW, WTVR,WTKR, WGNT, KCPQ, KZJO, KPLR, KTVI, WXIN,WTTV, WPMT, WITI ,WGHP, and WGN America should go to Hearst.

WSFL, KDAF, and KWGN to CBS Corp.

KIAH, KRCW, and WXMI To Tenga

KDVR,WJW, KTXL, and KSWB, To Fox.

WTIC,WCCT, WNEP, WHNT, WQAD, KFSM,KXNW , CLTV, This TV, and Antenna TV To Sinclair

WDAF, WGNO, WNOL to Scripps

KSTU to Bonneville International

KFOR, KAUT, WREG, WHO to Cox

WGN (AM) goes to Entercom to be run similar to WCBS and WNIS (which Entercom will acquire with CBS Radio)

To untangle the Denver Duopoly is unfavorable and stupid, given that KDVR was started by Fox (they don't want it back)! Besides, inside information identifies Hearst as the main potential buyer for KWGN|KDVR.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To untangle the Denver Duopoly is unfavorable and stupid, given that KDVR was started by Fox (they don't want it back)! Besides, inside information identifies Hearst as the main potential buyer for KWGN|KDVR.

Hearst with Fox stations would be interesting to say the least. They've been one of the major groups, if not only, to not have any Fox stations. I'd love to see that.

Here's another possibility for Indianapolis: WTTV/WXIN are sold to CBS, with WXIN and WISH promptly swapping affiliations. CBS gets a duopoly in an AFC market and Fox doesn't end up in the awkward position of owning a CBS affiliate.

CBS doesn't seem be interested in AFC markets as Fox is with NFC markets, but NFC has more of the big markets and old guard teams than the AFC

would CBS be interested in WGN or WFLD? who would be interested in the non-Fox stations?

It'd be smarter for them to purchase WPWR since it's already the CW affiliate and just have WGN and WFLD be a duopoly. But if not, then I see WFLD going.

As for the Non-Fox stations, your usual suspects.

This thread has crossed into the bizarre. If they get anything it'll be WSFL at best.

Seriously, I would strongly suggest forking this thread between General TV and Speculatron.

whatever happens to WGN, any Bozo reboot will be dead (if it isn't already), and any chance of the 9PM news and Cubs returning to WGN America

"You can't go home again." -- Thomas Wolfe

Seriously, I would strongly suggest forking this thread between General TV and Speculatron.

if the moderators wouldn't politically censor posts on the topic, maybe the discussions would stay on topic

The Indianapolis cluster is going to be a nightmare regardless of who gets Tribune... BECAUSE it's a grandfathered CBS/Fox duopoly. Even with a total lax approach by the FCC and DOJ, logic dictates that such a lopsided arrangement can't stay in place. (Unless Sinclair pulls a fast one and sells WTTV's license - but not the IP - to Ben Carson's spokesman Armstrong Williams, of course. Which considering WTTV's rimshot status, would count as an upgrade. Go figure.)

Nexstar is going to benefit in some way. Only question is, how?

The Indianapolis cluster is going to be a nightmare regardless of who gets Tribune... BECAUSE it's a grandfathered CBS/Fox duopoly. Even with a total lax approach by the FCC and DOJ, logic dictates that such a lopsided arrangement can't stay in place. (Unless Sinclair pulls a fast one and sells WTTV's license - but not the IP - to Ben Carson's spokesman Armstrong Williams, of course. Which considering WTTV's rimshot status, would count as an upgrade. Go figure.)

Like what happened in Birmingham, the move of WBMA+'s full power to WABM-DT2 was an upgrade.

What you described is why the FCC under Wheeler wanted to eliminate the practice of using Sub channels for two of the big 4.

It's not so much a grandfathered duopoly as it was legal when it introduced. If one of the stations ranks 5th in ratings, it is still legal.

if the moderators wouldn't politically censor posts on the topic, maybe the discussions would stay on topic

A thread on TVNewsTalk being derailed by wild speculation??? I am shocked. Shocked, I say!

Really though, folks. Let's try to keep the speculation to a minimum, and not your personal pipe dreams. If you need to preface your post with "I know we're not supposed to speculate but..." you probably don't need to post.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/103787/chris-wayland-named-new-wpix-svpgm

Tribune has just named a new GM for WPIX. An internal promotion. Odd move for a company considering a sale. Could it mean WPIX might not be included?

Nothing odd about it. The position has to be filled, sale or no sale. Plus, any sale will take months to consummate.

Indeed, it'd be a mess. Plus, who would WTTK (WTTV's satellite in Kokomo) go to? Would it just be taken off-air since it now broadcasts from WXIN's Westlane Road transmitter, or sold off?

As for the expected rush to buy TV stations if the FCC relaxes ownership restrictions, the CEO says he “wouldn’t mind” adding to his group — but doesn’t “feel a need” to buy a big group.

Moonves also says he isn’t worried if Fox, in partnership with the Blackstone Group, buys Tribune Media. It owns six CBS affiliates.

“If Fox buys it, they can come to our affiliate meeting. I’ll have Rupert [Murdoch] up on stage with me. It will be fine. It won’t affect us at all.”

http://deadline.com/2017/05/cbs-ceo-les-moonves-unaffected-changes-pay-tv-upfront-exceedingly-strong-1202084477/

St. Louis could be interesting if Sinclair is the buyer. They'll only be able to keep two of the three stations involved -- KTVI, KPLR, and KDNL. Since KDNL is in the ratings basement, I imagine it would be the one to get dumped, ABC affiliation and all...but would it?

(Hey, maybe Sinclair will sell off ABC affiliate KPLR and keep KTVI and KDNL. You never know.)

St. Louis could be interesting if Sinclair is the buyer. They'll only be able to keep two of the three stations involved -- KTVI, KPLR, and KDNL. Since KDNL is in the ratings basement, I imagine it would be the one to get dumped, ABC affiliation and all...but would it?

(Hey, maybe Sinclair will sell off ABC affiliate KPLR and keep KTVI and KDNL. You never know.)

They are probably more likely to shell KDNL instead of selling it outright.

ABC would be headed to KPLR 11.1, while 11.2 becomes the new CW home. KDNL gets sold to Armstrong Williams.

Pretty cut-and-dry.

ABC would be headed to KPLR 11.1, while 11.2 becomes the new CW home. KDNL gets sold to Armstrong Williams.

Pretty cut-and-dry.

They are probably more likely to shell KDNL instead of selling it outright.
I don't think they even have to shell it. They can just keep KDNL and take either KPLR or KTVI and whatever station they leave behind, they sell it off.

In any case, this is such a great shakeup that, as I said earlier in this thread, even FOX themselves thinks Sinclair is insane, and keep this in mind, this is despite the fact that Fox and Sinclair have good relations with each other. I have to announce this right now because honestly, I agree with Fox and I'm taking their side on this. Sure Sinclair had some controversial purchases, but this is where they're crossing the line with way too many Fox affiliates with a way too big reach under their control and I hope to God himself that Fox gets Tribune instead of Sinclair.

You what station group would be a great fit for Sinclair is instead of Tribune? Raycom, except for Raycom Sports. Sorry Myron, but it needs a balance between the right and left, even if all are questionable. And no, I wouldn't move into the cesspool known as Cleveland so that I can be an intern at a Cleveland station. Too much crime and corruption that it might as well lack laws (at least its not like Detroit, Baltimore, or even St Louis in the recent years, but it still sucks nonetheless), and TV News will solve little, if any, of Cleveland's (or any other city ravaged by crime) crime and corruption problems.

Also, I would commend Sinclair for calling out the MSM for being out of touch (one of the few good things that come out of them), except even they have gone out of touch with their neocon bullshit with Trump's unnecessary intervention in Syria (and before you ask, yes, Sinclair and the biggest tv station groups are all part of the MSM as well). I'd much rather watch Infowars than news from a Sinclair station.

Different story from when CBS famously refused to give WTVJ's NBC-appointed management the time of day at their 1988 affiliate conference/upfronts.

Maybe Les Moonves thinks Rupert Murdoch, like Trump, can be "damn good for CBS," or more specifically, WTTV and the CW.

Different story from when CBS famously refused to give WTVJ's NBC-appointed management the time of day at their 1988 affiliate conference/upfronts.

Maybe Les Moonves thinks Rupert Murdoch, like Trump, can be "damn good for CBS," or more specifically, WTTV and the CW.

They probably realize they would be stuck there, at least for a little while until all the affiliation agreements expire. I do agree that if Fox acquires them, WISH would likely get CBS back at the next opportunity (2019?). Unless they mutually agree...after all, Nexstar didn't create the mess as they didn't own WISH/WNDY in 2014.

I'd expect most of the other Big 3 affiliates to be sold off again, since they are in too small markets for O&O's and/or Fox already has a strong affiliate there that creating an affiliation battle has more losers than winners.

Archived