Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

Well it was just be awkward having The CW and WGN being owned by the same company, considering WGN is a Chicago-based station while The CW (WPIX11) is a NYC-based station owned by both CBS and Warner Bros. I can't even imagine how New Yorkers (including myself) would feel if Sinclair actually owned a station like that.

Even KTLA in LA.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It would also have CBS Corporation and Warner Bros. lose a lot of money from one of their most popular TV stations in New York City.

CBS and Warner Bros does not own WPIX. WPIX is owned by Tribune which has an affliate deal with CBS/Warner Bros to air CW. I believe there is 4 years left on the current deal between Tribune and CW.

CBS and Warner Bros does not own WPIX. WPIX is owned by Tribune which has an affliate deal with CBS/Warner Bros to air CW. I believe there is 4 years left on the current deal between Tribune and CW.

But it’s still gonna be a huge problem if Sinclair ever dared to get WPIX from Tribune.

It would also have CBS Corporation and Warner Bros. lose a lot of money from one of their most popular TV stations in New York City.

CBS has a waiting in the wings solution. The CW can move inhouse to WLNY. It is CBS owned and is already available on all cable and satellite carriers. In fact they may be hoping to do this, as the revenue stays in house. No need to share with the guys in Baltimore.

No, it would not. It would be the end of PIX11.

I'm pretty sure people have called various events in the past decade the "end" of PIX11.

If their shitty formats, graphics packages, and talent shuffles haven't killed it, Sinclair isn't going to do any worse.

I'm pretty sure people have called various events in the past decade the "end" of PIX11.

If their shitty formats, graphics packages, and talent shuffles haven't killed it, Sinclair isn't going to do any worse.

One of them is probably when they were rebranded as CW11 back in September of 2006. :confused:

CBS has a waiting in the wings solution. The CW can move inhouse to WLNY. It is CBS owned and is already available on all cable and satellite carriers. In fact they may be hoping to do this, as the revenue stays in house. No need to share with the guys in Baltimore.

The same can be said for KTXA, KCAL, and WBFS, when they switch to CW and become O&Os.

What's Sinclair gonna do with the PIX11, WGN and KTLA Morning News if they grab them?

Cut staff to the bone and slash whatever resources either stations enjoy to the bare minimum, but maintain the same level of news output (including the Osama bin Epshteyn, Sharryl Atkinson and Mark Hyman agitprop cramdowns).

The Smith Clan will fire the entire WGN Morning News team over the less-than-flattering statements made towards them since this was announced.

Cut staff to the bone and slash whatever resources either stations enjoy to the bare minimum, but maintain the same level of news output (including the Osama bin Epshteyn, Sharryl Atkinson and Mark Hyman agitprop cramdowns).

The Smith Clan will fire the entire WGN Morning News team over the less-than-flattering statements made towards them since this was announced.

I currently work at KLTA. We are so short staffed now it's crazy.

More like HBO Newshour. :rolleyes:

In which all of those things would enrage Los Angeles citizens, since KTLA is like the sister of WABC with their logo.

The "citizens" of LA will never notice because they don't even speak English....thus could care less.

And as far as KTLA goes...

You would think "Hollywood" would save it and preserve it as a living virtual broadcast landmark....but no.

The Hollywood elite only care about politics, and themselves....not TV stations.

Y'all may want to hit up Byron Allen and see how serious he really is about "minority ownership".

Honestly...

I would sell WPIX and KTLA right off the top.

Why???

The business climate in CA and NY sucks. Taxes are too high...and too much regulation to make a decent profit.

Sacrifice (for profit) KTLA and WPIX to make the FCC and activist happy. Take that money saved in CA and NY and put it towards messaging in Ohio,Penn,WI and those other states that Sinclair and the repubs want to keep in 2020. California is a lost cause for Sinclair...so why bother when you can make a much greater impact with the political message.

Keep WGN as your "Flagship" and use that station to influence the midwest vote in 2020.

...and if you don't like it...

have Harvey Wienstien buy a bunch of TV stations to counter the Sinclair stations messaging.

Cuz Hollywoods "got yer back" ...they got all the money in the world...and could "counter" Sinclair in a New York minute.

Honestly...

I would sell WPIX and KTLA right off the top.

Why???

The business climate in CA and NY sucks. Taxes are too high...and too much regulation to make a decent profit.

Sacrifice (for profit) KTLA and WPIX to make the FCC and activist happy. Take that money saved in CA and NY and put it towards messaging in Ohio,Penn,WI and those other states that Sinclair and the repubs want to keep in 2020. California is a lost cause for Sinclair...so why bother when you can make a much greater impact with the political message.

I don’t know. Sinclair is just a large group that owns news corporations to me. Hell, I don’t even live where KTLA broadcasts their stuff. For WPIX though, that’s a different story. For all I care, I only watched PIX11 for the Family Guy reruns a while back. The news shows was just filler to me,

There's a lot of off-topic nonsense and wild speculation getting posted in this thread. If we can't keep a rational discussion going, I'm going to lock the thread.

To be honest I think that should have happened ages ago.

Anyway, here's a link to that PBS story since the first one provided doesn't seem to work. http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/sinclair-broadcasting-puts-partisan-tilt-trusted-local-news/

I think it's difficult to have a Sinclair-owned news station connect with an independent-owned news station from Fox.

well maybe KRXI should start doing KTXL Simulcasts instead of KTVU. they are about 50-100 Mi apart from each other because sinclair may make KTXL join KRNV and KRXI because their going to end up as "Sister Stations".

Archived