Sinclair, Tribune Close to Merger Deal

MidwestTV

well maybe KRXI should start doing KTXL Simulcasts instead of KTVU. they are about 50-100 Mi apart from each other because sinclair may make KTXL join KRNV and KRXI because their going to end up as "Sister Stations".

I guess that could work, since it's not like their relations with each other would involve Sinclair.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The "citizens" of LA will never notice because they don't even speak English....thus could care less.

And as far as KTLA goes...

You would think "Hollywood" would save it and preserve it as a living virtual broadcast landmark....but no.

The Hollywood elite only care about politics, and themselves....not TV stations.

Y'all may want to hit up Byron Allen and see how serious he really is about "minority ownership".

Honestly...

I would sell WPIX and KTLA right off the top.

Why???

The business climate in CA and NY sucks. Taxes are too high...and too much regulation to make a decent profit.

Sacrifice (for profit) KTLA and WPIX to make the FCC and activist happy. Take that money saved in CA and NY and put it towards messaging in Ohio,Penn,WI and those other states that Sinclair and the repubs want to keep in 2020. California is a lost cause for Sinclair...so why bother when you can make a much greater impact with the political message.

Keep WGN as your "Flagship" and use that station to influence the midwest vote in 2020.

...and if you don't like it...

have Harvey Wienstien buy a bunch of TV stations to counter the Sinclair stations messaging.

Cuz Hollywoods "got yer back" ...they got all the money in the world...and could "counter" Sinclair in a New York minute.

IL is nearly as much of solid blue state as CA and NY

Not really. It’s like one of those states thar have one of the major cities having a liberal majority, where as the rest of the state is conservative.

NY would be a Red State if it wasnt for NYC and parts of the Hudson Valley tbh

The state would’ve been half Democrat, half Republican. New York’s not that conservative.

Republicans can be just as Liberals as Democrats if they want to and having met New York Republicans they seem more Moderate or Liberal.Eric Ulrich is an example of a Liberal Republican and he is NYC Council Member same for Elise Stefanik the Congresswomen from Upstate

Republicans can be just as Liberals as Democrats if they want to and having met New York Republicans they seem more Moderate or Liberal.Eric Ulrich is an example of a Liberal Republican and he is NYC Council Member same for Elise Stefanik the Congresswomen from Upstate

That could be the case. From what I heard, New York is mostly a liberal state.

Yeah we should. This thread shouldn’t be derailed with politics. Sinclair is just Fox News but if it was a conglomerate for Trump-approved news stations.

Shut up! Do you wanna get this thread locked before we hit 100 pages?

Anyway, here's salon.com's take on this, also mentioning Trump's impossible threat on NBC: https://www.salon.com/2017/10/11/right-wing-sinclair-broadcast-group-snubs-fcc-gets-away-with-it/

Wow! All this talk about Trump, Sinclair, and martial law style censorship has led to me rewatching last year's Daily Show Halloween Special, when we all still thought Trump would lose: http://www.cc.com/episodes/nb3429/the-daily-show-with-trevor-noah-october-31--2016---jeff-ross-season-22-ep-22016

How long do you think it'll be before Fox News merges with Sinclair and makes TNN a reality?

Can we get back on topic?

Going to start thread banning people who are derailing this thread.

No rants, no speculation, no wacky conspiracy theories. If you can’t say something rational, don’t say anything at all. Politics play an important angle in this story, but please keep it on topic and in the context of this deal.

I'm sorry if this post may break the guidelines. I... just joined this site because I liked seeing news logos. So.. I'm not sure if I would continue posting here or not.

New to this site will get use to the guidelines

The FCC could make a decision regarding media ownership rules which could delay any final decision on the merger until sometime next year https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/fcc-sinclair-broadcasting-ownership/2017/10/13/id/819642/

Here's a statement from Newsmax CEO Chris Ruddy:

“Ajit Pai told me in my meeting that he has not decided to approve the merger first, that he may conduct a review of the ownership cap, I can confirm to you on the record that he told me that he had not decided and that he was open to doing the review first. And I encouraged him to do it."

So we don't know if Pai is going to review the media ownership rules first or make a decision on Sinclair/Tribune first.

The FCC could make a decision regarding media ownership rules which could delay any final decision on the merger until sometime next year https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/fcc-sinclair-broadcasting-ownership/2017/10/13/id/819642/

Here's a statement from Newsmax CEO Chris Ruddy:

“Ajit Pai told me in my meeting that he has not decided to approve the merger first, that he may conduct a review of the ownership cap, I can confirm to you on the record that he told me that he had not decided and that he was open to doing the review first. And I encouraged him to do it."

So we don't know if Pai is going to review the media ownership rules first or make a decision on Sinclair/Tribune first.

It depends on Sinclair. Who knows if they would be desperate to merge with Tribune to become more corrupt as possible. The media ownership rules on the other hand is fairly important, as it does goes over what Sinclair is doing to their owned news stations and their censorship.

Any intervening FCC action presents the risk of the Outside Date creeping up on the parties if they are not willing to extend that date.

Remind me what the Outside Date is and what it means.

Remind me what the Outside Date is and what it means.

The Outside Date is the date in which both parties can terminate the deal without paying a breakup fee.

The initial outside date for this deal is May 8th, 2018 (one year after the deal was announced). But if this deal doesn't get the greenlight from the FCC and/or the DOJ by that time, the parties agreed to extend the outside date by three months, to August 8th, 2018. But the deal has to get the greenlight by the Tribune shareholders by that May 8th date.

Should they both want to break up before the outside date, Tribune has to pay Sinclair $135M.

About this possible review, Pai did say after he brought back the UHF loophole in April, that he was planning on doing a review on the national ownership cap (including the discount). Whether he does this review before acting on this transaction (or even doing this review), that's pure speculation at least for now. That's why I said earlier on the speculatron that I take this with a huge grain of salt. I'll believe it when I see it.

But whether he does this review or not, he still doesn't have the authority to modfiy the ownership cap himself. Both houses of Congress have the authority to do that. And should a review happens and it drags out, there's also that court case about the UHF discount that could start by those outside dates.

And let me remind all of you that this possible review of the ownership cap is not the same as the Quadrennial Review, which reviews the local television ownership rules. That review might start next year.

Archived