KFSN New Gfx

susquvalleywgal

Forget the animations, really, the discussion should be about the misshapen (too long) bars. That's not a big market versus small market capability issue. That's just good design and proper execution. I doubt this package will ever look as good on 30 as on the 7s, and there's nothing really wrong with that, but that's no reason to not do it right. Do it right, or don't do it at all.

Here's another:

The colours are blue.

Blue has been found to be one of the more pleasing colors for viewers... that's why 90% of graphics packages are blue...

Maybe somebody should come up with 4 seasonal graphics packages... we'll call the fall one pumpkin spice orange for example...

What in the world is going on with this package?

Stylized 3D text on an unmistakably contemporary graphic? Inconsistent spacing in the lower thirds? Wild usage of different typefaces?

Seriously, it's for one thing KFSN's set is up there in the 'worst' category... but this?

Are they for real?

This is an argument for hubbing. Leaving it up to the local stations to implement a graphics package is always a risk. I know WTMJ has all sorts of weird custom templates that the other Scripps stations don't have because they still have their art department for some reason and the management meddles with the way things look and work.

When you hub, you take away a lot of the power the local stations have to meddle. If the news director doesn't like the lower third, they can't just go to the art department and demand it be changed, they get in touch with the hub who will probably tell them "no" and to worry about their newsroom and not the graphics.

Nice that Dreamartists Music is actually providing that local news package for KFSN still. the same company that did Network news themes for ABC News! to be fair i think this is a nice look for them and i like the fact that it matches with the other ABC O&Os.

Hey everyone. Thanks for your comments. I'm the Creative Director at KFSN. Just wanted to give some background on this project, because at face value, yes, the execution was a bit messy.

We received the graphics from our sister station KABC. There was a huge hurdle to jump over. They run VizRT. We run Miranda Vertigo. The way these graphics run on Viz is completely different and so we had to adjust them to work with our station. This took a huge amount of work to do and was done all in house. Some of these screenshots are from the first day, which was last Thursday at 11am. The lower thirds weren't what we originally envisioned. Although, after the first newscast, we fix them to auto size to the text, like KABC and KGO. We fixed many font inconsistencies and are still in a constant state revising. If you watch today, you'll notice a HUGE difference in quality and consistency.

I don't know if any of you have gone through graphic refreshes, but they are probably one of the most frustrating, labor intensive projects. Many issues don't come up until you go live on air with them. Again, thanks for all your comments and critique! Looking forward to hearing more!

-Tim

Hey everyone. Thanks for your comments. I'm the Creative Director at KFSN. Just wanted to give some background on this project, because at face value, yes, the execution was a bit messy.

We received the graphics from our sister station KABC. There was a huge hurdle to jump over. They run VizRT. We run Miranda Vertigo. The way these graphics run on Viz is completely different and so we had to adjust them to work with our station. This took a huge amount of work to do and was done all in house. Some of these screenshots are from the first day, which was last Thursday at 11am. The lower thirds weren't what we originally envisioned. Although, after the first newscast, we fix them to auto size to the text, like KABC and KGO. We fixed many font inconsistencies and are still in a constant state revising. If you watch today, you'll notice a HUGE difference in quality and consistency.

I don't know if any of you have gone through graphic refreshes, but they are probably one of the most frustrating, labor intensive projects. Many issues don't come up until you go live on air with them. Again, thanks for all your comments and critique! Looking forward to hearing more!

-Tim

Bumping this because it sat in the new user post queue over the weekend while I was on vacation. Thanks for the background on this, Tim!

Archived