WTSP's Overhaul

TheRob

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching a bit of their evening news block... what in the hell is this? Why do they not wear ties?

EDIT: Second story on the broadcast - I am not calling this a newscast because to do so insults every single television journalist in the nation - is a story about something on twitter.

Having lived through WTXF's horrible cable news imitation format... this is worse. And this is saying a lot.

As a long time WTSP viewer, it's a very sad day. Dick Fletcher is rolling in his grave.

Reggie is a solid news guy. Gotta say he earned my viewership, because it took him some time to find his stride. I think it's a mistake to let him go because he is the most senior anchor in the market and he isn't the problem.

DId they need to make some changes? Yes. But this is the wrong way to go. You should read the overwhelmingly negative FB comments. Used to think Gannett/Tegna was one of the better ownership groups. The word 'repulsive' comes to mind. They should have looked to what market leaders in other markets such as WSB, WTHR, and WBNS are doing.

I just don't even recognize "television" news anymore.

You should read the overwhelmingly negative FB comments.

Looks like they're going the whole copy-and-pasted "thanks for watching and thanks for the feed back and please keep watching!" comment route towards the negative comments.

I think those who used to watch WTSP are either migrating to WTVT or to WFLA right now, but I bet most are migrating to WTVT.

Based on Facebook posts I've seen, it seems they are splitting evenly among the three stations. Also it doesn't seem like Nexstar has wrecked WFLA as feared...

Could this mess result in the CBS affiliation being stripped? If someone really wanted to play around, they could try to snatch it away, although the pickings are limited given that one of the stations in the market is an O&O and another is with a company that has never been big with CBS.

I always thought WTVT produced good stories. If I lived in Tampa, I would have watched them first anyway.

I haven't seen the WTSP newscast yet, but I clicked on a random story. The talent stood on one side of a touch screen, and walked to the other side mid-story (blocking the text in the process), purely to add unnecessary movement to the story.

I always thought WTVT produced good stories. If I lived in Tampa, I would have watched them first anyway.

I haven't seen the WTSP newscast yet, but I clicked on a random story. The talent stood on one side of a touch screen, and walked to the other side mid-story (blocking the text in the process), purely to add unnecessary movement to the story.

"The weather people move around a lot when they talk, why don't we have our anchors do that too?!"

"Ah sweet idea Bob!"

Could this mess result in the CBS affiliation being stripped? If someone really wanted to play around, they could try to snatch it away, although the pickings are limited given that one of the stations in the market is an O&O and another is with a company that has never been big with CBS.

CBS won't strip the affiliation off of WTSP because of this. C'mon now.

I don't know who thought this would be edgy or hip, but the 11:00 news tonight has all the energy and pacing of a slog through the swamp. They covered three stories in ten minutes, and it's mostly just a trio of anchors playing a round-robin toss to each other.

The b-block was a package called "Friends Play Cupid."

After that, they did weather, sports, and ended with a roundtable discussion of 4/20 Facebook posts from police.

WTSP, I award you no points.

Based on Facebook posts I've seen, it seems they are splitting evenly among the three stations. Also it doesn't seem like Nexstar has wrecked WFLA as feared...

Nexstar just took control of 8, give it time.

Secondly, CBS isn't pulling their affiliation because a station has a stupid newscast. If that's how networks operated, WGNO would've lost ABC a long time ago. And besides, CBS needs to be in good graces of [the company formerly known as Gannett], they own a lot of important CBS affiliates.

It seems that Tegna is bringing the "hip, edgy" crap at the bottom-feeder stations. I shudder if WUSA is next on the "Tegna Hip Train", even though they can let nature take its course and wait for a certain "7" to self-destruct.

Based on these I think the WTSP might be going for a CBS Sports look. Or is it just me noticing that?

CBS Sports didn't invent jump cuts, abrupt transitions and hip visuals. This is a graphical trend that spanned for several years.

In short, no. They are not going for a CBS Sports look.

CBS Sports didn't invent jump cuts, abrupt transitions and hip visuals. This is a graphical trend that spanned for several years.

I think what he means is the logo itself, it does pay some (dis)respect to the current CBS Sports logo.

I think what he means is the logo itself, it does pay some (dis)respect to the current CBS Sports logo.

In comparison, WTSP and CBS Sports' logos are completely different by every way.

The only correlating feature of both logos is that they're inside a box.

IMG_3881.thumb.PNG.a738866a7185e539eb301e59d80ca4d2.PNG

I'm talking about fonts, logo, and color scheme. Mostly with the Just In Typing in the background behind the Logo. That animated like the CBS Sports eye.

[ATTACH=full]3851[/ATTACH]

I'm talking about fonts, logo, and color scheme. Mostly with the Just In Typing in the background behind the Logo. That animated like the CBS Sports eye.

Any slight relation between WTSP and CBS Sports' look is purely coincidental.

Archived