WTSP's Overhaul

TheRob

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's more about the WTSP change from the TB Times.

No surprise they're trying to push Reg away. Tegna is on a roll getting rid of all the older (or high-salaried) talent. If they think these changes are going to make any impact in the ratings, they have another thing coming. This will blow over like "10 Connects".

I wonder... I'd like to know why they're using the Proxima font that Scripps is using instead of KXTV's

Proxima Nova is being used extensively at CBS in recent years. The current CBS eye and wordmark lockup uses Proxima Nova.

That said, chopping up the wave-10 and putting it in a one-color box to look "hip" is not a good move. The weather graphics look great, if sort of unconventional for television.

I want to know who in the hell they're interviewing and talking to that implies people actually prefer this kind of thing. I'm a young dude and I don't know anyone young who likes this type of format.

It's essentially drivel, driven by consultants. They have in their minds that this is "hip, flashy, edgy and way cool" and will stop the millennials/cool kids in their tracks to pay attention to a TV in real time. Umm yeah okay!! Well if so, gee Wally, I guess there's hope for the family breakfast and TV dinner to make a comeback too. Wouldn't that be swell? ;)

Those millennials will have to learn how to tinker around with the rabbit ears, as they glue their eyes on the TV set in awe, over the latest "happening now/trending now/what's next" viral stories that matter! :D that they just happened to miss on their smartphone! :eek:

The last big trend of many consultants was to blast from story to story with no anchor chatter. LOL they won't ever develop the perfect formula, since tinkering around from year to year lines the ol' pockets.

This is an awful case of "tryin too hard" to be hip and remain relevant. It's a total turnoff and it reeks of desperation.

It's essentially drivel, driven by consultants. They have in their minds that this is "hip, flashy, edgy and way cool" and will stop the millennials/cool kids in their tracks to pay attention to a TV in real time. Umm yeah okay!! Well if so, gee Wally, I guess there's hope for the family breakfast and TV dinner to make a comeback too. Wouldn't that be swell? ;)

Those millennials will have to learn how to tinker around with the rabbit ears, as they glue their eyes on the TV set in awe, over the latest "happening now/trending now/what's next" viral stories that matter! :D that they just happened to miss on their smartphone! :eek:

The last big trend of many consultants was to blast from story to story with no anchor chatter. LOL they won't ever develop the perfect formula, since tinkering around from year to year lines the ol' pockets.

This is an awful case of "tryin too hard" to be hip and remain relevant. It's a total turnoff and it reeks of desperation.

In other words, it's old people trying to think like young people and failing miserably because they grossly misunderstand us young people.

My apologies to Dick, first of all.

I can understand WTSP trying to be different, but at the expense of quality news? Come on. I wouldn't be surprised if the ex-WTSP people were snatched up by the other local stations. WTSP is a mess. I feel bad for Reginald Roundtree (Reggie). To me, he's the best thing (along with Bobby Deskins) that WTSP has going for it right now. I'm getting closer and closer to switching to another station.

Yuppers! You hit the nail on the head quite well.

I've been told countless times how vital young people will be in the industry for it's survival. They need to start consulting with ACTUAL young people (i.e., still in college or just graduated). The "young" folk they have on WTSP are probably in their 30s. While that's not OLD, they're at an awkward age where social media stuff really began to take off when they were in the middle of college; they didn't grow up with it through middle and high school like current college students have. Consequently, I don't believe they're as knowledgeable about what youngsters like as they think they are. You'd be surprised how many young'ns are actually annoyed with facebook and don't really like it.

My apologies to Dick, first of all.

I can understand WTSP trying to be different, but at the expense of quality news? Come on.

They were probably inspired by The Now. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were. It sort of seems like The Now mixed with Right This Minute...a baby that never, ever, ever should have been conceived.

Right This Minute...a baby that never, ever, ever should have been conceived.

Really?! "Right This Minute" is a special kind of show....not only does it show the latest in viral videos, but they also tell the stories behind them.

Say what you want, but viral videos are what they are...funny, emotional, and thought-provoking. I think what "Right This Minute" did upon launch 6 years ago was groundbreaking!

Sounds painful to watch. When will consultants realize that these young adult targeted newscasts rarely pan out.

Never. The consultants live their 'youth' through the seeking young. Whether they relive it or their youth wasn't that productive.

Archived